R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree13Likes

Old 09-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #586
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
I think that it is "new", in that it hasn't been built, but it is an "old" kit.
If you are referring to my post, then no, you are mistaken-tamiya has never made a 1/10 scale Porsche 962C. The image used in the pic I posted appears to be from a 1/24 scale model.
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #587
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Delgado View Post
If you are referring to my post, then no, you are mistaken-tamiya has never made a 1/10 scale Porsche 962C. The image used in the pic I posted appears to be from a 1/24 scale model.
You just need a main chassis,blocks under the suspension arms and you could make a RM-02 from all the other parts Tamiya has for pan cars.I wouldnt be surprised if we didnt see something exactly like what you have posted.I know about the "C" car chassis but a real pan car wouldnt be hard for Tamiya to kit bash and produce.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #588
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctrackman View Post
Hi All,
Quick question. Can someone list the available 200mm Grp C bodies available ??
I've looked and don't see much of anything available.
Colt Porsche 956 and 911 GT1, and Toyota GT1
http://www.rcmart.com/body-light-200...c-438_876.html

ABC Hobby Response GT1
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #589
Tech Champion

I was going to suggest PTI as they had a really nice looking 956 they were working on...but according to the website they've been sold!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #590
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks Gents ! If anyone knows of more please post them. Really like what I saw of the Speed Passion bodies. Anyone know when they might be available. No mention at their website.
rctrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #591
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The SpeedPassion bodies and LMP cars won't be out until November, according to Solara. From what I understand, they're going to be between 200mm and 235mm (said to be about 215mm).
That message on the PTI site about their being open again in March has been up since before March of 2013.

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #592
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaguyjean View Post
You just need a main chassis,blocks under the suspension arms and you could make a RM-02 from all the other parts Tamiya has for pan cars.I wouldnt be surprised if we didnt see something exactly like what you have posted.I know about the "C" car chassis but a real pan car wouldnt be hard for Tamiya to kit bash and produce.
I agree-it wouldn't take much to stretch the RM-01 out and make a nice 1/10 pan car. And what about a Porsche 962 like the one pictured done to Tamiya's scale quality (like on their Mercedes C11 or Mazda 787b)? The different paint job/livery possibilities are almost endless also:you have dozens of choices from the WEC, IMSA as well as the cars that raced in Japan.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #593
Tech Addict

Default Radio Controlled Historic Sportscar Racing

I believe that there are more than just a few racers out there that prefer the simplicity of a pan car over the complexity of a 4WD touring car as well as preferring Group C and GTP prototype bodies over touring cars or unrealistic World GT bodies.

For those racers I would suggest a new class structure, along the lines of VTA, except this would be for 1/10 200mm pan cars with GTP and LMP bodies. I would call it Radio Controlled Historic Sportscar Racing-RCHSR for short as there is a real life full-scale HSR. This would be a class of racing for club level racing of realistic looking GTP style cars, similar to what you see in VTA. There are many people with Tamiya 1/10 GTP cars with no where to race as well as people who either have 1/10 pan cars or would like to race one and not be stuck with a body type they don't care for.

Back in the nineteen eighties, Group C and IMSA was able to succeed for many years because many customers were able to buy turn-key racecars from Porsche like the 956 and later the 962 GTP and Gp.C variants. Without those cars the racetracks would have been much emptier. Today, we need Tamiya to do the same thing that Porsche did and offer a decent club-level 1/10 pan car with a beautifully done 962 body to fill the majority of the entries in a revitalized 1/10 scale pan can car class.

I come at this as a fan of Group C and IMSA, and the Porsche 962 in particular. I also prefer scale realism over "un-scale" and unrealistic reproductions or representations of cars. That is why I would prefer Tamiya to make this particular car-the 962. I would like to see them reproduce the classic form of this car as they have done with the rest of their 1/10 line of GTP cars. If not Tamiya, then maybe Protoform for the body: Dale Epp is a true artist! He does excellent work-I would only ask him to be true to the original form of the car and not take too many "aerodynamic liberties" that would detract from the 962's classic lines and/or proportions.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Ed Delgado; 09-20-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #594
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I was out of RC for about 10 years and have recently come back. I bought a WGT car because it was 200mm and I knew that there were some cool bodies out there.....then I read the ROAR body list. As far as GTP and Group C bodies, most that I see are 235mm. I have a McAllister Jaguar GTP and a Nissan NPT 90 (I believe). Stormer still sells TOJ-type bodies in 235mm. While 235mm pan car bodies are cool, I'm not a big fan of foam tires. I would love to see a spec RUBBER tire that works, like VTA has done. I hope that the Speed Passion LM car, when it is finally reignite the passion for prototypes. I contacted Rivall about their P1-type body. It was going to be $84 to get it to my door. Needless to say, I didn't buy one. I did, however, buy a couple of F103GTs and there ar many parts still available for these...including 12mm hexes.
The VF1 folks have made an effort, with some success, to convert F1 cars to 12mm hexes so that they CAN run VTA tires. If you have a Sakura FGX or an HPI F10, they already have 12mm hexes. 190mm bodies would fit on these and there are some interesting bodies in this width.
Bottom line: I'm with you, Ed. Would love to see this grow. Let me know how I can help.

Scott

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #595
Tech Champion

I like the idea of rubber tires...but after running them in F1 for so long I don't like them in application. Pan cars just handle very oddly with rubber tires and in some cases not at all. We've tried a number of different compounds in F1 at our local track but even the best ones are really difficult to get to work well. I finally settled on some that work decently but the car still has too much push and if I increase front grip at all the back will start coming around. Rubber tires has chased a number of people away from F1 at our local track. Only the die hards that drive the cars because they look cool or are F1 fans are sticking with it. Surprisingly we're finding the WGT foam tires actually are lasting longer in wear time than even the TC rubber tires. I really like rubber tires for the consistent size and scale appearance. But if they don't work people aren't going to like the class.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #596
Tech Addict

Default RCHSR

Sorry, don't mean to thread jack, just thought I'd get the conversation of a new class started. Thanks to all for your replies.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ar-racing.html
Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #597
Tech Addict

Default Keep costs low and fun levels high

Scott, thanks for the reply and input. I think it's all about keeping costs down, or at least to a realistic level so that we're able to have fun with good racing. I personally have never run rubber tires on a pan car, but I think it's a discussion worth having. I think we have to be inclusive and welcoming to new concepts and ideas meant to improve the hobby. And the best help you can give is to keep talking about what you and or we want!

InspGadget, those are very interesting points you bring up regarding tires. There has to be a happy median between a well performing and long lasting tire and relatively low costs. I've been out of nitro racing for some years now and even longer for electric (my first RC race car was a 1/12 MRP GP-10) and, I hope i speak for all of us here, your input is very valuable and much appreciated.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #598
Tech Elite

IMHO the change to 200mm back in the early 90's really KILLED the On-Road Pan Car racing - while the 200's were great on Carpet, even the 235's were hard to hook up outdoors on asphalt, the 200's were virtually IMPOSSIBLE - then TC's came in and the pan car market really died.

A couple years ago, I brought back 2 "Original" RC10L's and a HPI 235mm ROAD STAR car to run at Camarillo's Freedom Park - we ran 1c / 10.5 (Boosted) with most of the guys using the 235mm ProtoForm body that's still available, but I grabbed some VINTAGE "Andy's" 235mm TOJ bodies that Dave Irrgang from IRS found in his attic, and Deja Vu, it was a BLAST from The Past - and these things were HOOKED UP.

Sadly, I've only run 4-5 times w/ these cars there, scheduling and life hasn't let me get down there more, however they run the class regularly and have 6 - 10 guys running it.

Most were running CRC 200mm cars w/ the 235 conversion kit -

I'd love to see something w/ a more modern, yet "Working" body be used...but a vintage TOJ type class would/could be fun too.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #599
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
I'd love to see something w/ a more modern, yet "Working" body be used...
Which is why I was so interested in the DTP body you posted earlier I think those would make a great new pan car class. Modern, still prototype and the bodies are not overly complex so they can be made to look really nice. Top that off with all of them having the same overall dimensions on the real cars...that makes it that much easier to make the few different manufacturers all fit the same sized pan car. Tamiya and others already tried the LMP style bodies and they never really caught on unfortunately
Old 09-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #600
Tech Elite

Hey Gadgt

You want this DP body I painted up to play with? I most likely won't have time (or funds) to put it on a track - I could let it go for about $28.00 + shipping) that would cover my cost of the body, decals and paint. (The paint is pretty thin) I just wanted something I could put the new decals on - and see how I liked them, and if I wanted to get more done.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote