R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree13Likes

Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #541
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Not listed on their site, but what chassis for 235 mm? Sorry I don't know whats common for on road.
RC10 original, RC10 graphite, RC10 4wd MIP SP1 version, RC10T
Associated TC4
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #542
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Here ya go---> http://www.mcallisterracing.com/index_files/Page755.htm

Regards Roy
Ps believe 235MM.
If 200MM try Tamiya on E-bay
They do turn up
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #543
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
Not listed on their site, but what chassis for 235 mm? Sorry I don't know whats common for on road.
Touring cars and modern pan cars all run to 190-200mm width.

235mm is Pro10 width, but outside of Germany and the Netherlands no one runs them. Today I think the Corally 10SL 235 is the only wide car available out of the box. Another alternative is the CRC Gen-X10 with their widening kit. Alternatively, just keep watching ebay for old Pro10s and RC10L cars, they pop up regularly and most go for peanuts, only the rarest and perfect examples sell for a lot of money.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #544
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Don't forget the RC red devil car from Germany
A bit expensive but whot a nice car.
Also the Xray X10 with the LAJF widening kit is a good alternative.
It uses a wider front suspension plate and a wider rear pod so you can use a IRS rear axle kit.
Serpent S100 is also good with the 235 conversionkit that they sell.
Better not use the extension hubs on the rear as they do tend to get a imbalance on the rear axle.
In Germany there are a lot of people who build there own car using parts from Corally and or home made.
Joost.K has a nice design for a Pro10 using existing parts from Associated.
See the prototype section here and if not found i can post some pics.

Regards Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Today I think the Corally 10SL 235 is the only wide car available out of the box.
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)

Last edited by Pro10noob; 06-04-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #545
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles514 View Post
Thanks Sir, its always fun to drive a RC car with a driver on it.
Somebody has to drive right?

OMG nice Jag 235mm for the pan car!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #546
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A good friend of mine ask me if I could convert his F103 into a GT, No Problem. I've already done the body, the chassis is on stand by...

Old 07-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #547
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Sunday F1 & Le Mans at Northridge, CA

Quote:
A good friend of mine ask me if I could convert his F103 into a GT, No Problem. I've already done the body, the chassis is on stand by...
Nice!

This Sunday Jul/7 we will race our LA F1 Champ. round 2 at Northridge SFV

Metro Link Parking Lot
8775 Wilbur Ave. SF Valley CA 91324

We will be as part of the regular club race so only $10.00 for the day Track opens at 10:00

Hope to see you...

Cheers! Marcos

Last edited by HeliYogi; 07-05-2013 at 12:33 PM.
HeliYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #548
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:

^^^ Very Nice!! Who makes the body?

Hi All, newbie here, but I'm an old school 1/12 & 1/10 Pan car racer just getting back into the hobby.

I loved the days of Group C, GTP and prototype cars. I remember when at one time ROAR rules required a driver figure in the car I loved those days and memories, great to see a thread like this!!

While I understand the new TC class allows the cars to ride bumpier tracks and obtain better overall traction, the class of bodies really leaves a lot to be desired. It seems even what the original TC class of cars, Sedans, and coupes have given way to a generic Honda Civic Coupe shape of body that while functional seems to lack and exciting form.... I digress

Coming back to the hobby in a low key way, I bought an HPI McLaren F1 200mm body, little did I realize this body does not seem it will fit many TC cars, due to the height of the front shock towers, and placement height of the main spur gear. So it seems I will need a Pan car to model this car. I wanted to build the car not to race, but just to have fun blasting around a parking lot with a scale looking model.
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #549
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
^^^ Very Nice!! Who makes the body?
It's the Tamiya Advan Courage body, part number 51264

You might not like the look of touring car bodies but there has always been much more scale alternatives, look at bodies by ABC Hobby and Tamiya for instance. At the end of the day when racing everyone goes for whichever body is fastest round the track, whatever it looks like.

As for the McLaren F1 body, most tourers have lower shocks and much lower spur gears than the HPI RS4 chassis the body was designed for. If you really want to guarantee it will fit over the front of the car have a look at any of Tamiyas kits based on the TA05v2 or TA06 chassis, they all run with inboard shocks.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #550
Tech Addict

Quote:
It's the Tamiya Advan Courage body,

You might not like the look of touring car bodies but there has always been much more scale alternatives, look at bodies by ABC Hobby and Tamiya for instance. At the end of the day when racing everyone goes for whichever body is fastest round the track, whatever it looks like.

As for the McLaren F1 body, most tourers have lower shocks and much lower spur gears than the HPI RS4 chassis the body was designed for. If you really want to guarantee it will fit over the front of the car have a look at any of Tamiyas kits based on the TA05v2 or TA06 chassis, they all run with inboard shocks.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have a look at those chassis you mention. A local club member has a X Ray T3-12 for sale, do you know if that would fit the McLaren? looking at pictures, it doesn't look like it will either.

It's not that I don't like the look of Touring car bodies, in fact I like the look of most racing cars. I was just lamenting how when the class was started the actual bodies used were sedans like the Mercedes Benz E190, BMW 318i, 4 door sedan bodies that resembled actual production cars. Since the class has evolved, to present day the car bodies have given way to a generic shape, like the Honda Civic, giving up style for all out performance... Correct me if I'm wrong as I have just stepped back into the hobby for a long Hiatus

It seems the TC sedan car body in use isn't really a Sedan and is more a coupe that mimics a Civic. You would think they would look more like the old DTM touring wagons, or like the Down Under V8 Super Series Touring cars

Maybe this is why I was never the fastest, just competitive and the best looking car on the track

Even in my day of 1/12th 4 cell carpet and 6 cell pavement racing, the fast body was the Associated TOJ. Every one used that one, however I had to run different GTP and Le Mans bodies, my favorite of the day being my Tamiya Lola Can Am, it was just as fast as the TOJ's but had a bit more panache.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #551
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have a look at those chassis you mention. A local club member has a X Ray T3-12 for sale, do you know if that would fit the McLaren? looking at pictures, it doesn't look like it will either.
I can't see how the McLaren shouldn't fit over the HPI chassis, after all the chassis is just a development of the car the McLaren shell was originally mounted on, and HPI themselves list it as compatible. I have run the body on an old style touring car with a high layshaft just like the HPI Sprint2 and also had no problem fitting the body over the chassis.

Quote:
Since the class has evolved, to present day the car bodies have given way to a generic shape, like the Honda Civic, giving up style for all out performance... Correct me if I'm wrong as I have just stepped back into the hobby for a long Hiatus
Touring car bodies for racing all look similar as they have to fit the Global Body Spec, a set of dimensions to ensure they do look like a touring car. Before the rules were introduced the bodies had developed to have a small, rounded cockpit area with a large flat boot for better airflow to the rear wing, such as the Ride Accord. The GBS keeps them looking like an actual 4 door tourer.

Even so, the small differences between the bodies do still make a big difference in handling, and for each track a specific body will work better than the rest.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #552
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:

It's not that I don't like the look of Touring car bodies, in fact I like the look of most racing cars. I was just lamenting how when the class was started the actual bodies used were sedans like the Mercedes Benz E190, BMW 318i, 4 door sedan bodies that resembled actual production cars. Since the class has evolved, to present day the car bodies have given way to a generic shape, like the Honda Civic, giving up style for all out performance... Correct me if I'm wrong as I have just stepped back into the hobby for a long Hiatus

It seems the TC sedan car body in use isn't really a Sedan and is more a coupe that mimics a Civic. You would think they would look more like the old DTM touring wagons, or like the Down Under V8 Super Series Touring cars
If modern TC bodies resemble any real car its simply a coincidence... they are designed for pure performance and most bodies allowed for competition have to fit into quite strict body shapes and dimensions. For a while some of the bodies used were getting so "cab forward" they were starting to look like utes/pick ups while still trying to present themselves as 4 door "sedans"

Its hard to say with certainty that the body you have will fit a T3 or not... the shock towers are,IMO, appear higher than on the cars recommended by HPI in their range of chassis that it fits... it would definitely fit the Tamiya's mentioned or if you REALLY wanted a pan car you could try finding an F103GT and use offset wheels

Don't mistake not being happy for unhappiness - its not the same thing
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #553
Tech Addict

Quote:
I can't see how the McLaren shouldn't fit over the HPI chassis, after all the chassis is just a development of the car the McLaren shell was originally mounted on, and HPI [snip].hpiracing.com/products/en/17547/"[/snip] themselves list it as compatible. I have run the body on an old style touring car with a high layshaft just like the HPI Sprint2 and also had no problem fitting the body over the chassis.
Well, it's a tight fit with some modifications. I think I can get it to work, I shaved down the first mounting hole ears of the front shock towers and moved the shocks to the furthest in hole of my Sprint 2 Flux today. If I shave the second last hole off the front should be good. The back is still sitting high due to the gear hitting the rear window. I'll tray to attach some pictures.

Quote:
Touring car bodies for racing all look similar as they have to fit the Global Body Spec, a set of dimensions to ensure they do look like a touring car. Before the rules were introduced the bodies had developed to have a small, rounded cockpit area with a large flat boot for better airflow to the rear wing, such as the [snip] The GBS keeps them looking like an actual 4 door tourer.

Even so, the small differences between the bodies do still make a big difference in handling, and for each track a specific body will work better than the rest.
I fully understand that, but the bodies don't look like what I think of a typical touring car, however we don't need to discuss this further I don't want to start thread crapping

Thanks for the tips on the Tamiya TA-05 and 06 cars... They look like nice options! I was maybe thinking of picking up a X Ray T3, but may wait and see.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-dsc_3511.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-dsc_3502.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-dsc_3507.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-dsc_3508.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #554
Tech Master

Quote:
Well, it's a tight fit with some modifications. I think I can get it to work, I shaved down the first mounting hole ears of the front shock towers and moved the shocks to the furthest in hole of my Sprint 2 Flux today. If I shave the second last hole off the front should be good. The back is still sitting high due to the gear hitting the rear window. I'll tray to attach some pictures.

I fully understand that, but the bodies don't look like what I think of a typical touring car, however we don't need to discuss this further I don't want to start thread crapping

Thanks for the tips on the Tamiya TA-05 and 06 cars... They look like nice options! I was maybe thinking of picking up a X Ray T3, but may wait and see.
The McLaren body should fit. it is a very popular body for the usgt class that uses a 4wd touring car chassis. I have seen many mounted up on different chassis without any issues. I haven't personally used one so I can't comment on the details but I have seen a lot mounted. I have used the Ford gt and the c6 Corvette (both very low noses) and never had any issues. The body should fit the x ray you mentioned.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #555
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
The McLaren body should fit. it is a very popular body for the usgt class that uses a 4wd touring car chassis. I have seen many mounted up on different chassis without any issues. I haven't personally used one so I can't comment on the details but I have seen a lot mounted. I have used the Ford gt and the c6 Corvette (both very low noses) and never had any issues. The body should fit the x ray you mentioned.
Thanks! I cut the last extra ear off the shock tower and it looks pretty good now. The Main spur gear is still very marginal, but it should work...

I will check out the X Ray for sale... I do like the top performance compared to the HPI S2F, however it seems a shame to relegate it to packing lot use only. I like that many of those Tamiya TA kits come with GTP and Prototype style bodies as well!