R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree13Likes

Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #346
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Delgado View Post
I would also suggest a seperately sold detail kit, which would have a pair of headlight buckets, and interior section (made for use with a Tamiya F1 style helmet) and a seperate tail-underside section as detail kit for non-racing scale modeler/enthusiasts.
Actually I planned on light buckets to be included... We include them in our Ford GT. We started doing that some time back, to keep up with HPI

BUT the interior and tail underside is a GREAT idea, we'll do it
ptiracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #347
Tech Champion

Will it have a separate rear wing element or is it just a curved up typical pan car rear? Personally I would really like to see the separate rear wings make a come back 205mm...sounds like that is sized for WGT pan cars? or are the wheel wells made for TC height rims?
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #348
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

hey guys, hope its ok to post a prototype (not group c) but I just one this on the bay and Im geeked.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_584wt_1068
kmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #349
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptiracing View Post
Actually I planned on light buckets to be included... We include them in our Ford GT. We started doing that some time back, to keep up with HPI

BUT the interior and tail underside is a GREAT idea, we'll do it
Do you do any 235 Pro 10 bodies, and where can your stuff be purchased?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #350
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
THANKS!! Ed...

We do have an angle at the bottom of the duct much like the pic of the white porsche you have. But, the thinking here was as with our Micro body the duct was cut out supplying air to the motor and batteries improving performance. BUT that said I think you may be right, I will take a closer look at that and add some more angle further up...

As for widening the rear wing uprights... I'm sure you know all the body rules make it illegal for the wing to be higher than the top of the car. The other reason I kept them to this size is we've found with our 235mm body when you add downforce that far back it tends to lift the nose at speed so you often end up with push in high speed turns when you need grip the most... Also our other scale bodies have not caught on as well because they are too long and don't turn as quickly (I'm told). So I'm not sure how much I can change these without adversely effecting performance. So what I think I will do is make the tool in such a way that I can remove the uprights and try different sizes until we find the best size

The other thing you mentioned, adding a curved spoiler...
That's a real challenge for us.
Most of the positive comments I've gotten so far is how scale this looks. And how it's not a "wedge" body.
You seem to know a lot more about the other potential classes for this body than I. If I leave the scale market and go into the "wedge" market by adding a spoiler, what classes will that body be legal and not legal in?

The car is already 205mm wide.... and for length I don't plan on putting a rear wheel cut out so you can cut out the rear wheel to which ever 10 -10.5.

Not sure what you mean about the nose length if you're suggesting I shorten it... That would be difficult, that would be a major modification, it would probably be better to start over.

Thanks for your comments
Looking forward to your response
My feeling is that you've actually based your mould on a 956 Le Mans version.

The hardest thing to decide is - is it a 962 or a 962C or do you say its a customer modified version because their are so many version of the 962 its almost impossible to chose 1 as the definitive version.

Personally I think the curved wing idea should be ignored... there are already some pretty bad versions of Porsches with that style wing and I think people would like a more realistic version as long as it still works... though I think the comment about "widening" the wing up rights is correct as most 956/962 had them much closer to the side edges of the body than yours appears to be

Don't mistake not being happy for unhappiness - its not the same thing
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #351
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
THANKS!! Ed...

We do have an angle at the bottom of the duct much like the pic of the white porsche you have. But, the thinking here was as with our Micro body the duct was cut out supplying air to the motor and batteries improving performance. BUT that said I think you may be right, I will take a closer look at that and add some more angle further up...

As for widening the rear wing uprights... I'm sure you know all the body rules make it illegal for the wing to be higher than the top of the car. The other reason I kept them to this size is we've found with our 235mm body when you add downforce that far back it tends to lift the nose at speed so you often end up with push in high speed turns when you need grip the most... Also our other scale bodies have not caught on as well because they are too long and don't turn as quickly (I'm told). So I'm not sure how much I can change these without adversely effecting performance. So what I think I will do is make the tool in such a way that I can remove the uprights and try different sizes until we find the best size

The other thing you mentioned, adding a curved spoiler...
That's a real challenge for us.
Most of the positive comments I've gotten so far is how scale this looks. And how it's not a "wedge" body.
You seem to know a lot more about the other potential classes for this body than I. If I leave the scale market and go into the "wedge" market by adding a spoiler, what classes will that body be legal and not legal in?

The car is already 205mm wide.... and for length I don't plan on putting a rear wheel cut out so you can cut out the rear wheel to which ever 10 -10.5.

Not sure what you mean about the nose length if you're suggesting I shorten it... That would be difficult, that would be a major modification, it would probably be better to start over.

Thanks for your comments
Looking forward to your response
I base my sugestions on experienced gained during over thrity years or RC racing. I've also raced different versions of Prosche 962s in 1/10 electric 235mm, 1/10 235mm Nitro and 1/8 nitro too. All I suggest is that you accurately model the correct shape of the model overall as well as important areas of the Porsche 962 body shape in particular, such as the front fenders, and the roof/cockpit area. The body in the "Omron" rendering is a very nice 1/24 model, it is very true to scale and if the lexan body asn true to scale and done as shown, a body based on that shape would handle very well indeed. By the way, the rear wing aread is not higher than the roof at it highest point, just behind the top of the front windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-962c-rendering-2.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-962-side-view.jpg  
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #352
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
The hardest thing to decide is - is it a 962 or a 962C or do you say its a customer modified version because their are so many version of the 962 its almost impossible to chose 1 as the definitive version.

Personally I think the curved wing idea should be ignored... there are already some pretty bad versions of Porsches with that style wing and I think people would like a more realistic version as long as it still works... though I think the comment about "widening" the wing up rights is correct as most 956/962 had them much closer to the side edges of the body than yours appears to be
The 962 had a very long racing career and changed a great deal over those years. The IMSA 962 during it's hey-day had a very large airscoop on the rear engine cover which is not ideal for proper aerodynaics in an RC model. The european 962C did not have that "hump" on the rear as it was twin turbo. I would recommemd modeling this type of 962, the European spec Porsch 962C in short tail, high-downforce specificatiion. This is the car you would buy from the factory in 1987, such as this 1987 Blaupunkt sonsored entered buy Joest Racing in races during 1987. This version of the 962 was the most prolific version seen during the 962's long racing career. This version can also be painted in IMSA GTP colors-same shape but no-one would miss the large intercooler opening/scoop on the rear body.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-hasegawa-cc11.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-bruce-levan-86_bayside-pors.jpg  
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #353
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I know this isn't a Group C body either but its still one of sexiest LM bodies to reach the track... unfortunately, thanks to an ill placed rock on the track, it manged to emulate its 1:1 relative... thankfully the wing took the brunt... just need to find a replacement...
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-clr-smaller.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-clr-smaller-close.jpg  

Don't mistake not being happy for unhappiness - its not the same thing
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #354
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

This Tamiya group C inspires me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lae12zLTeGU
Old 07-10-2012, 03:01 AM   #355
Tech Apprentice

Some pics form last saturday night race

Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #356
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy1969 View Post
Some pics form last saturday night race
Nice cars and track!

Where are you guys?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #357
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That [email protected] The MACH, Heemstede Holland.
Competing in the saterday evening competition.
Great series with e very high fun factor

regards Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliYogi View Post
Nice cars and track!

Where are you guys?
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #358
Tech Apprentice

Here's a vid of the quali
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #359
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Hit the apex

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy1969 View Post
Here's a vid of the quali...
Wow! Again nice track, it seems you need at least two things to make it there:

-Good eye sight (or great glasses)

- Keep the line thigh, otherwise you can get lost in that nice wide track (and lose at the same time)

Cheer's
Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #360
Tech Master

I know this the group c thread.
Im looking for realistic 1/12scale bodies, something along the lines of a lm p-1 car. Hpi has the most realistic one ive found thus far. But its just a drivers head and the same wedge body.
jsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote