Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree13Likes

Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #331
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Get a F103 roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
I have an old parma decal set for the Silk Cut Jaguar. Ive always wanted to do a body for it since i cant sell the decals. I noticed a XJR14 on Rcmart for F103. I have a f104pro and dont mind converting. any ideas if that body would work? I believe my decals are more for the XJR12, so i would keep the rear wheels covered.
Hey Ron, you cold fiddle (a lot!) to fit a F103 body (200mm VS 185mm Aprox, and shorter length) to a F104. By a F103 used roller and save yourself lots of work with unpredictable results (and looks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir miles View Post
... and now im eying this.
should be fun too.
Sir Miles, Welcome to the forum! you have an eye with good taste
We have tons of fun with the Tamiyas "C"

Cheers!

Last edited by HeliYogi; 06-19-2012 at 01:16 AM.
HeliYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #332
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

can't resist the itch...

I already tested this baby and WOW!, I cant believe the handling of this car! I can run circles with a GT tuned powered M05! Though Im a bit afraid I might break some parts coz its not yet available.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-img_2953.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-img_2957.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-img_2956.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-img_2950.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-img_2955.jpg  

Last edited by sir miles; 06-20-2012 at 06:54 AM.
sir miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #333
Tech Regular

Hi, I also enjoy historic Le Mans type cars so here is my CRC GenX-10LE
with the Toyota TS-020. A lot of fun to drive and much faster than an
awd Touring car. Regards
Norman2
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-img_0001.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-img_0003.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-img_0002.jpg  
Norman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #334
Tech Master

My RC10L2.5 with Andy Sauber Mercedes 235mm in Michelin colors. (still need some headlight decals).

Old 06-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #335
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=2wdrive;10882445]My RC10L2.5 with Andy Sauber Mercedes 235mm in Michelin colors. (still need some headlight decals).
QUOTE]

Nice!

How does this body handle? do you notice any difference with/without the front aerofoil?

Cheers!
Bishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #336
Tech Master

Last year i used the mercedes without front wing but with the gurney and was quite happy with it. It was a few km/h slower on the straight (or a little hotter motor) but it had a little more overall steering in the sweepers without being out of ballance.

This year I only drove a Nissan p35 till a month or so ago when i tested the mercedes in the picture above. First drove with the Nissan P35 and straight after with the Mercedes.

The mercedes felt like i had a brick or an ancor behind the car. Very slow on the straight and heavy steering in the corners. Acceleration was not high either. Not sure how to describe it better but i didn't like the feeling. I put the nissan back on and the speed and acceleration was back and the car felt alive and very nimble again. The mercedes has simply too much drag and downforce in this configuration imo.

This was a 1:1 test without any setup changes and with a 2s 10.5t boosted setup. It might work better in modified as there is more power to push the air out of the way but in 10.5t class i would not use it. Maybe on very small tracks where top speed is less of an issue it might be worth to test. On small tracks I normally use a peugeot HD and that goes really well so far.

I know a few in our class that use the mercedes without the front wing and without gurney. It goes around very well in that configuration. The only drawback is that the mercedes has a molded stump in the front to support the front wing in the middle. Without the front wing the body looks a little like a rhino .

Last edited by 2wdrive; 06-21-2012 at 05:32 AM.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #337
Tech Master

Serpent Porsche 235mm on my rc10l2.5. (old picture)

Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #338
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptiracing View Post
Any interest in this?? Its about 30 days away....

Only have pictures of the pattern, the mold and decals are in work
Umm...yeah. I was going to do one a few months back.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...c-cars-18.html

I started working on the blueprints when I experienced many "personal problems". That's when the body was put on the backburner.

Last edited by Ed Delgado; 06-27-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #339
Tech Addict

Quote:
Any interest in this?? Its about 30 days away....

Only have pictures of the pattern, the mold and decals are in work
I think there is interest in a really good 962, like in the pic and blueprint. I would suggest some adjustments to the mold you showed.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-hasegawa-cc11.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-962-d-2.jpg  

Last edited by Ed Delgado; 06-29-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added text
Old 07-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #340
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Delgado View Post
I think there is interest in a really good 962, like in the pic and blueprint. I would suggest some adjustments to the mold you showed.
Thanks!!

What would you suggest
ptiracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #341
Tech Addict

Quote:
Thanks!!

What would you suggest
Great, I would suggest 2 ideas for changes. The first would be to flatten out the side readiator/intercoller inlets and slightly angle the opening in the door for said ducts. This does not detract from the model's aesthetics, and helps the body handle better aerodynamically. Second would be to widen the rear wing fins as seen on later 962 customer cars and mold in a curved spoiler as in this Andy's 235mm Mercedes C11 body (car belongs to user 2wdrive).

Also, I don't know the size of the mold, but if I feel the closest scale measurements would be 2055mm for track and 270mm for wheelbase. This would make the body applicable to 1/10 Tamiya Group C/GTP chassis as well as Tamiya F104 Wide cars as well (a vary large market).

Lastly, the two most important features in the 962 is the shape of the front fenders and the shape of the cockpit. The 962's distinct and rather blunt nose is different from the longer 956 and is what was raced in the USA during the GTP era of the 1980's.

Hope this helps-thanks for listening.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-962.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-2wdrive-rc10l2.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-tt96202.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-198.jpg  

Last edited by Ed Delgado; 07-04-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: andys c11 photo credit to user 2wdrive
Old 07-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #342
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

looking for a f103 gt if anyone has one kicking around, pm me with details, thx guys, looking to get into the club\

Im in, found a fully modded f103gt!!! ok thats see some bodies for these

Last edited by kmas; 07-06-2012 at 04:14 PM.
kmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #343
Tech Addict

Default 962C's Galor!

Awesome video of many Porsche 962'S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDXsUtFSMAs

Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #344
Tech Addict

Quote:
Thanks!!

What would you suggest
I would also suggest a seperately sold detail kit, which would have a pair of headlight buckets, and interior section (made for use with a Tamiya F1 style helmet) and a seperate tail-underside section as detail kit for non-racing scale modeler/enthusiasts.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-962-55b.jpg  

Last edited by Ed Delgado; 07-06-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: revised rendering
Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #345
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Delgado View Post
Great, I would suggest 2 ideas for changes. The first would be to flatten out the side readiator/intercoller inlets and slightly angle the opening in the door for said ducts. This does not detract from the model's aesthetics, and helps the body handle better aerodynamically. Second would be to widen the rear wing fins as seen on later 962 customer cars and mold in a curved spoiler as in this Andy's 235mm Mercedes C11 body (car belongs to user 2wdrive).

Also, I don't know the size of the mold, but if I feel the closest scale measurements would be 2055mm for track and 270mm for wheelbase. This would make the body applicable to 1/10 Tamiya Group C/GTP chassis as well as Tamiya F104 Wide cars as well (a vary large market).

Lastly, the two most important features in the 962 is the shape of the front fenders and the shape of the cockpit. The 962's distinct and rather blunt nose is different from the longer 956 and is what was raced in the USA during the GTP era of the 1980's.

Hope this helps-thanks for listening.
THANKS!! Ed...

We do have an angle at the bottom of the duct much like the pic of the white porsche you have. But, the thinking here was as with our Micro body the duct was cut out supplying air to the motor and batteries improving performance. BUT that said I think you may be right, I will take a closer look at that and add some more angle further up...

As for widening the rear wing uprights... I'm sure you know all the body rules make it illegal for the wing to be higher than the top of the car. The other reason I kept them to this size is we've found with our 235mm body when you add downforce that far back it tends to lift the nose at speed so you often end up with push in high speed turns when you need grip the most... Also our other scale bodies have not caught on as well because they are too long and don't turn as quickly (I'm told). So I'm not sure how much I can change these without adversely effecting performance. So what I think I will do is make the tool in such a way that I can remove the uprights and try different sizes until we find the best size

The other thing you mentioned, adding a curved spoiler...
That's a real challenge for us.
Most of the positive comments I've gotten so far is how scale this looks. And how it's not a "wedge" body.
You seem to know a lot more about the other potential classes for this body than I. If I leave the scale market and go into the "wedge" market by adding a spoiler, what classes will that body be legal and not legal in?

The car is already 205mm wide.... and for length I don't plan on putting a rear wheel cut out so you can cut out the rear wheel to which ever 10 -10.5.

Not sure what you mean about the nose length if you're suggesting I shorten it... That would be difficult, that would be a major modification, it would probably be better to start over.

Thanks for your comments
Looking forward to your response
ptiracing is offline   Reply With Quote