R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree13Likes

Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #256
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Group C / GTP Thread

I don't mean to threadjack but I searched and did not find a dedicated thread for the Tamiya Group C/GTP cars (Merecedes C11, Jaguar XJR-12, Nissan R91CP, and Mazda's LeMans winner car). If I am wrong, please let me know.
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #257
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
@Heliyogi....Your forgetting the F103LM chassis.
It is even wider so you can laydown the servo for a even more LCG.

regards Roy
Hi Roy, I did mentioned the F103LM and I concur that is the best lower plate for a Le Mans F103 based, and it's carbon. Have seen them in eBay once in a blue moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Delgado View Post
nice cars
Thanks Ed, and regarding your question this is the "C" thread.

Cheers,
Marcos
Old 04-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #258
Tech Rookie

Default Tamiya Group C / GTP Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliYogi View Post
Thanks Ed, and regarding your question this is the "C" thread.
HeliYogi/Ed Delgado:

If you do an advanced search for a thread titled “Tamiya Group C cars”, you will find a specific 6 page thread on Tamiya’s Group C chassis. I posted about the Tamiya Nissan R91CP Group C here because this tread is still active and I assumed this thread was a general Group C race car thread like the general Formula One thread.

From this thread's title, I was assuming it would also be okay to post here about the 1/12 Tamiya Toyota Tom’s 84C and Newman Joest Racing Porsche 956 (RM-01) because they are also Group C race cars.
ra21benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #259
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra21benj View Post
HeliYogi/Ed Delgado:

If you do an advanced search for a thread titled “Tamiya Group C cars”, you will find a specific 6 page thread on Tamiya’s Group C chassis. I posted about the Tamiya Nissan R91CP Group C here because this tread is still active and I assumed this thread was a general Group C race car thread like the general Formula One thread.

From this thread's title, I was assuming it would also be okay to post here about the 1/12 Tamiya Toyota Tom’s 84C and Newman Joest Racing Porsche 956 (RM-01) because they are also Group C race cars.
All Group C cars are welcome I would think, although I have seen a thread specifically for the RM-01 chassis.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #260
Tech Addict

So I'm thinking of doing a Porsche 962 body for these cars since Tamiya won't or anyone else for that matter. I work slow, so don't expect anything soon-but I have some drawings to show you guys some ideas I have for the rear wing section. Let me know what you think. BTW, the third one has a curved wing like the Tamiya 956.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-962c-rendering-2.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-962c-rendering-1.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-962c-rendering-3.jpg  
Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #261
Tech Regular

Hi, Ed I like the middle on with the cut-out. It is the most accurate vs.
real car. I wish I had the talent to create a lexan body. Buena Suerte
Norman2
Norman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #262
Tech Rookie

Default Porsche 962 Body

Ed Delgado,

I like the third one, like the Tamiya Porsche 956 because it’s simple and functional. Also, I can still paint it so it looks like it has the cut-out slot like the real Porsche 962.
ra21benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #263
Tech Rookie

Default Porsche 962!

Quote:
So I'm thinking of doing a Porsche 962 body for these cars since Tamiya won't or anyone else for that matter. I work slow, so don't expect anything soon-but I have some drawings to show you guys some ideas I have for the rear wing section. Let me know what you think. BTW, the third one has a curved wing like the Tamiya 956.

I’m all over some of those when they are done Ed! I've started running in our local Le Mans class with a resurrected Nissan R91CP! It’s been fun, but since I am a complete Porschephile, would switch to 962 in a heartbeat! I like the 3rd one as well. Functional & Durable. I agree with the detail of 2nd one, but I am sure one rollover with that section cutaway, that wing would rip right off Already have a paint scheme ready . I have a Mini Z that needs to grow up!
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-962.jpg  
Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #264
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
So I'm thinking of doing a Porsche 962 body for these cars since Tamiya won't or anyone else for that matter.
There already is a Porsche 962C body available. it's made by Colt.
http://www.rcmart.com/colt-m1141-200...?cPath=438_876
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #265
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Was about to post the same thing... though having owned one I have to say its fairly generic even for that style of body

Don't mistake not being happy for unhappiness - its not the same thing
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #266
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Thanks Terry, but I've seen the one from Colt-that will fit 200mm TC style cars-as well as the Group C chassis in its shortest wheelbase setting. The problem is that it is not very "scale", or realistic like the Tamiya bodies are. I'm a stickler for realism-it drives me crazy how crappy most of todays bodies are. I dont race anymore but still love to play with toy cars.

I also don't understand Tamiya's policy of limited production re-releases. It's like they were in the collectibles business instead of supporting their customers. How many Group C chassis owners wouldnt want to save their pretty kit body and be able to race care free with a replacement body knowing they wouldn't have a problem getting another one (the body).

Last edited by Ed Delgado; 04-26-2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: added las t para
Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 AM   #267
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
I’m all over some of those when they are done Ed! I've started running in our local Le Mans class with a resurrected Nissan R91CP! It’s been fun, but since I am a complete Porschephile, would switch to 962 in a heartbeat! I like the 3rd one as well. Functional & Durable. I agree with the detail of 2nd one, but I am sure one rollover with that section cutaway, that wing would rip right off Already have a paint scheme ready . I have a Mini Z that needs to grow up!
That's a nice MiniZ body. The third body would definitely be more durable than the second. Also, realism could be added with the use of light buckets (like the all the Tamiya Group C cars have) as well as a seperately molded section to represent the underside of the tail section.

I just emailed Tamiya USA asking them when Tamiya was finally going to make a 1/10 Porsche 962C to add to their Group C car line up. Maybe if everyone interested did the same we could have an effect. I think that car could sell better than even the Lemans winning Mazda 787B. They could even release in in the Japanese FromA, Omron or Advan colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-rr.jpg  

Last edited by Ed Delgado; 04-26-2012 at 05:13 AM. Reason: added text
Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #268
Tech Initiate

I've just bought my 4th group c chassis and a new r91cp body off ebay real cheap meaning that my collection is complete ,also for anyone who likes 1/1 group c's there will be quite a few of them racing at donnington park in the uk on the 5th/6th of may inc xjr12,962 and a merc c11 it will be a great day out for anyone interested.
stulee666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #269
Tech Initiate

just to touch on the colt 962 body its not very good,i had one on my last serpent nitro car but even wearing rothmans livery it doesn't do the real thing justice.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #270
Tech Initiate

Heres the link to the above mentioned group c racing at donington park

http://www.doningtonhistoric.com/