R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree13Likes

Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #151
Tech Adept

Quote:
Here is something we wont see on account of Peugeot puling the plug on their racing program for 2012, maybe McAllister Racing comes up with a 185mm for the F104?
If Toyota wins the 24h of Le Mans, I'm pretty sure Tamiya (as a japanese manufacturer) will bring out a body of the TS030.
Just look how beautiful this car is...
Der Dicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #152
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The car shape is ok but the sharkfin?
Reminds me of them ugly F1 cars with them.
They should make cars like the old group C.

regards Roy
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #153
Tech Initiate

They're just focusing their efforts/money for the 2014 hybrid. and i believe that toyota is basically also a peugeot.
ShrewdRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #154
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrewdRacer View Post
They're just focusing their efforts/money for the 2014 hybrid. and i believe that toyota is basically also a peugeot.
The Toyota is nothing like a Peugeot... all the current LMP cars look similar due to regulations and similarity in current thinking (wide front tyres for an example)... the Toyota has more in common with the Dome S102 according to the experts that study this type of thing... the Toyota also uses a bespoke 3.4l v8 petrol engine and is testing 2 different hybrid systems before choosing one to race with.

Don't mistake not being happy for unhappiness - its not the same thing
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #155
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post

regards Roy
The sharkfin or "honking great fin" as its referred to on other sites is enforced as part of the regulations... its designed to reduce the car susceptibility to rolling in a yaw state... not very elegant and most experts agree that its a very crude way of achieving the desired result.. hopefully the 2014 rules come up with something better...

the F1 version was simply designed to give the car's more sponsor space I've been led to believe...

As much as I love Group C myself they have had their day and in terms of aero efficiency they are just not in the same ball park... yes they made huge downforce but most also had huge drag and required massive amounts of horsepower to overcome it... for example the famous pole lap of Blundell in the Nissan R90CK was 3:27 and the car was reputedly delivering over 1100HP because of a jammed wastegate...last year's Audi Pole time was 3:25 with at least 400HP less... some of the time can be attributed to better tyre technology and also some changes that have been made to the track over the years... but the majority is simply down to how far the cars have come aerodynamically since the late 80's and early 90's..

Personally I love to see the current LMP bodies running around our Rc tracks

Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #156
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

regards Roy
The fins are there to stop them rolling over when they spin, the fin creates a high pressure area on top which keeps the car on the ground. It's a mandated part so we are going to have to live with them from now on.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #157
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

what brushless system is everyone running in there mercedes c11 gt f-1?

10.5, 13.5, 17.5, etc...

looking to buy one and need to know what the best turn motor would be

also what is the battery tray size for lipos?

thanks
trd4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #158
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
As much as I love Group C myself they have had their day and in terms of aero efficiency they are just not in the same ball park... yes they made huge downforce but most also had huge drag and required massive amounts of horsepower to overcome it... for example the famous pole lap of Blundell in the Nissan R90CK was 3:27 and the car was reputedly delivering over 1100HP because of a jammed wastegate...last year's Audi Pole time was 3:25 with at least 400HP less... some of the time can be attributed to better tyre technology and also some changes that have been made to the track over the years... but the majority is simply down to how far the cars have come aerodynamically since the late 80's and early 90's..
Imagine the laptimes possible if the Audi had 1100bhp. Had grp.C/gtp survived, we'd have inevitably seen the same sort of AERO advancements, possibly even better, as the new cars are required to run flat bottom chassis, rather than the ground effects tunnels of old aren't they?
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #159
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Imagine the laptimes possible if the Audi had 1100bhp. Had grp.C/gtp survived, we'd have inevitably seen the same sort of AERO advancements, possibly even better, as the new cars are required to run flat bottom chassis, rather than the ground effects tunnels of old aren't they?
Ahh but Grp C/GTP didn't survive did they?... and that's exactly my point. They reached the limit of what the sport could support using that sort of race car design and corporate thinking. The cars were ludicrously expensive to design and build, with aerodynamics and chassis dynamics so complicated and sensitive to the point where unless you had a manufacturer footing the bill you simply weren't going to be in the race.

The fact is IF that was the sort of cars and racing people wanted that is what we would have, but we don't.

Maybe the new rules in 2014 will suit you more ... they are supposed to have a flavour of Group C about them

To answer you other question - current LMP rules use a regulate floor with 2 tunnels and have done since 2004. I included an image from Dome showing their floor
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-domes101hb-3.jpg  

Old 02-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #160
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
The Toyota is nothing like a Peugeot... all the current LMP cars look similar due to regulations and similarity in current thinking (wide front tyres for an example)... the Toyota has more in common with the Dome S102 according to the experts that study this type of thing... the Toyota also uses a bespoke 3.4l v8 petrol engine and is testing 2 different hybrid systems before choosing one to race with.

i heard from some online blog in youtube that it was peugeot's car. i could be wrong tho as i don't follow LMS that close.

anyway, Grp C races were stopped by the FIA not because of budget concerns but by popularity. F1 has always been the flagship motorsport of FIA, but back then GrpC have or is gaining more popularity than F1 so they had to cut it.

LMP are money sinks as they are, more so F1, but we still have teams in them. just proves that there are people/teams that can afford them and money isn't a concern.
ShrewdRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #161
Tech Master

[QUOTE=ShrewdRacer;10340987]i heard from some online blog in youtube that it was peugeot's car. i could be wrong tho as i don't follow LMS that close.

Trust me... the TS030 is all Toyota built in house

Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #162
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Gr.C Demo run

gtfour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #163
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

regards Roy
So agree
rccobra705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #164
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey guys i just picked up a tamiya nissan r91 .....wondering where i can get some cool bbs style rims for this puppy?
theatriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #165
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default My Toyota GT1

Here is my Toyota GT1, with F103 RM under it, I race this in UF1 series.
Attached Thumbnails
Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-423519_3178506709342_1465885523_33160559_1328862265_n.jpg   Am I the only one that likes Group C cars?-409101_3178512189479_1465885523_33160561_534901404_n.jpg  
fkmliu is offline   Reply With Quote