R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-12-2001, 05:01 AM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

What's up guys??? I will be getting a KX1 today and I was wondering are there any building tips that I should know about???

Also has anyone figured out how to put a regular front diff in this car???

GT4-R Terror when will be the next time you will be at The Track??? I will come up and practice with you...
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 05:28 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Default The curious

I aint got a KX-One, but as far as I've read the front one-way on the KX-One can be disabled with a joint. So why worry about a normal diff?
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 11:44 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Cole Tinkle
What do you mean by disabled??? Does it act like a solid locked front diff, a natural front diff or a one-way??? Can you explain a little more..........

I ask this question because on a tight track a one way is not ideal, in my opinion. Also if you had this car wouldn't you want to know all of the adjustments that can be made to it???
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 12:08 PM   #49
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The kyosho one-way is only a full time one-way diff and locking or pinning it will only create lots of push and no corner speed.
The car is easy to build and the only tricky part is to make sure the shocks are built exactly as shown and measured precisely. Use the stock set-up including the oil supplied and get a feel for the car before changing the set-ups. With this set-up I am really able to aggresively throw the car around on tight tracks even with the one-way- just turn the brakes down and let the car roll through the turns.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2001, 12:10 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Okay, maybe I've misunderstooded something here. From http://www.kyosho.co.jp/indexx-e.html, I've read this: New Design Front One-Way Unit - Now equipped with heavy duty A17S Duralumin Front One-Way Unit, this machine responds even faster. Ball bearing supported Cup Joints can be pulled out to add or remove the One-Way Unit.

I thought it meant the one-way could be disabled, but it seems like it just meant it's easy to take out the one-way diff.
Old 10-13-2001, 12:24 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Teacher
I ask this question because on a tight track a one way is not ideal, in my opinion. Also if you had this car wouldn't you want to know all of the adjustments that can be made to it???
I understand you are familiar with one-ways? And maybe you've already tried them? I ask, because I think a one-way is real good on tight technically tracks - if they are high grip.

I'm running on a very twisty carpet track with several hairpins. Under these conditions, the one-way has given me 2-3 laps. Basically, I enter the corners off-throttle and I (almost) dont brake.

Since you already got the one-way diff, I think you should give it a try. Here's a couple of tricks: To prevent spin-out, you can disable the auto-brake, if it's possible on your ESC. Set the normal brake to be light (either on ESC or radio). If neither your radio nor ESC is programmable, you can also adjust the throttle fine-trim on the radio, so the car crwals slowly, when the throttle is in neutral position. This is because most non-programmable ESC's got about 10-20% auto brake.

Good luck. And thanks for all the KX-One info, I plan on getting this car, maybe in the spring.
Old 10-15-2001, 12:59 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Wow- now my one-way unit just went out! Right side too just like GT4Terror's. Was practicing when I noticed the car kept pulling to the right on power. Pulled it off and discovered the right front wheel was just free-wheeling. Got an address to have it replaced by a service department but I have to mail the whole car back to have it looked over. I guess I will reserve judgement till after I get it back.
Old 10-15-2001, 06:03 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

MikeR, why would you need to send the whole car?? Why can't you just send the oneway?? My car did the same thing, pulled to the right under throttle. I thought it might be the tire size (foams) being off some. I didn't have a truer so I ran the car and started to notice it pulling. Oh well, I'll have to get a bearing for it I guess.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 06:37 PM   #54
Tech Champion

I guess they want to evaluate the whole car and see if i've done something wrong to cause the one-way to go out I guess. I was thinking of ordering the ball diff but apparently it's not available in the States yet. I could order the pieces to the rear diff and make an extra but the cost would be enormous i'm sure. Regardless, towerhobbies does not have all the diff parts yet any way. hmmm...we shall see
Old 10-15-2001, 07:09 PM   #55
Tech Addict

i can't run my Kx-one for a while coz the diff went bad. i don't know if any of you have this problem: the plastic part of the diff slips against the metal dish. i have to get a new diff from asia, but dont know when. and this car have no on power steering. but i am going to give up yet.
ME-student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 09:15 AM   #56
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hey guys!

What a drag !
you guys are going throught the same pains I was. I however did find a solution to the front oneway going out issue. See the post above. you can press out the old bearings and replace them. They are the same as a TC3 or Yokomo Oneway. Also grind off the nub that holds the 2 outdrives together, that seems to cure the problem. After I did that, I have had a trouble free oneway. Also be sure to use oneway bearing oil!
Shawn
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 10:19 AM   #57
Tech Champion

Thanks Shawn, will definitely do that if the one-way continues to go out. It doesn't seem that difficult, just would need to acquire more bearings. I wanted kyosho to be aware of the problem too since there seems to be a few of us with this problem. I personally think the half shaft is sliding out of the one-way unit and is just grabbing a portion of that one-way bearing thus braking it- don't think that little foam spacer is enough to keep it in.

ME-s, If your rear diff is slipping as described that would most likely be the cause of the on power push. Mine seems to be nice and snug. I wonder when Great Plains will have all of the diff parts in stock.
Old 10-18-2001, 04:55 AM   #58
Tech Regular

Guys, sorry to intrude...... just want to know your thoughts on the TF3 (handling out of box, maintenance etc. I am looking at picking one up dirt cheap secondhand. Thanx
opel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 05:20 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

I just found out that the ball diffs are the same and will have one this Friday. I'm not into oneways so I'll go the balldiff route.
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 10:40 AM   #60
Tech Champion

Opel- Who makes the Opel body used in your avatar? It looks too cool. No experience with the TF3 but it's very similar to the hpi RS4 which was ok back in the day.

GT4- Did you order it complete or as parts? If complete do you have the part number and place you ordered it from?