R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-10-2001, 05:19 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ernestf

just got the new hopups for my KX1. It is the blue alloy motor mount with heat sink.
ernestf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 06:23 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

When will we see more hop-ups in the states??? ANyone try the car on carpet with foams???I don't like the shocks that came with the car. I may try to get som Losi threaded shocks for it.

Thanks
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 09:51 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i just got some MSR Integy threaded aluminium shocks and they work great. i use 40 wt oil front and rear and use the blue springs front and red on rear. this works well on tight road tracks with hard rubber tires.
Old 09-20-2001, 03:56 PM   #19
Tech Champion

What? Why wouldn't anyone like the original KX1 shocks? The dual rate piston would work to greater advantage than threaded bodies. If you get the lexan shims (yokomo), you can make the fine adjustments as threaded bodies without having to worry about measuring them.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 04:25 PM   #20
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I don't get the big deal with the threaded shocks anyway. There supposed to be more precise with preload settings. But you still want to start with the same settings on both sides of the car. That means either using preload collars or calipers to get things the same for both sides. Then you can start using the fine adjustments to fight tweak and other problems. But you still must start with something that will get you equal on both sides.

The only time I think you should go for threaded shocks even when the ones you have are working well, is when your stuck with the Losi units that must use the clamping collars. Those are very difficult to be percise with. Other wise, I say stick with the shocks that use perload clips.

Just my 2cents.
Old 09-22-2001, 05:27 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Kyosho KX-One

hey guys... got some questions to ask cuz i'm seriously considering on getting a kx-one in the near future... how does this kit compare to the losi xxx-s in terms of performance and durability? or perhaps even the pro 2 (durability wise)

Yokomo BD5W / Prospec / Reedy
rking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 12:34 PM   #22
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
I don't get the big deal with the threaded shocks anyway......
Actually I find the advantage with threaded shocks are not so much with the fine adjustment... its with setting the initial tweak out of the car.

I normally set the approx. ride height of the car and then put it on a tweak station. The threaded shocks really comes into it elements for adjusting tweak.... true you can use spacers as well but it is a lot easier with threaded shocks. After setting the tweak out of the car, you can mark the adjuster part with a pen and then just count the revolutions (or part of) when you want to adjust pre-load/ride height. Of course it is a "nice to have" and not essential....... but isn't so many other things the same with our cars!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 04:22 PM   #23
Tech Elite

dtm, my thoughts exactly!!! I run the same routine as you discribe to get my car tweaked right.

Droop screws are the biggest let down on the car, there are none... you still have to use spacers and thread the shock end in or out to get the arms the same on both sides. Droop screws eliminate that.

Overall I like the car. I ran it on clean asphalt today with foams and the car was dialed. TQ'ed but had to leave early.
Old 09-22-2001, 09:01 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

what do you think about the kx 1
Gump0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 06:39 AM   #25
Tech Elite

I'd rate it on a scale of 1-10, at 8. Droop screws are the most important thing the car DOESN'T have. For the money threaded shock should come with it. Everything else is very nice. Even the way the battery mounts is good. I had to add foam stripes to help hold the batteries in place. They move around a good bit without the foam. I used the foam for a AE B3 for the batteries. I miss understood the instructions, they didn't show anything about the shims used for the shock rebound adjustment and I built them without the shims and the shocks feel like there isn't oil in them for a small part of the stoke. This because the piston is floating to much on the shock shaft. I think I'll just get a set of Associated threaded shocks, there easy to set-up and I have all the springs for the TC3. Another thing, the AE springs don't fit the "K" car shock spring retainers. I do believe Losi or Trinity springs will fit though with little mod.

Over all, I like the car and will be running it on prepared indoor asphalt and on carpet. With a little luck I'll do well with the car.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:44 PM   #26
Tech Champion

I too am confused why there are no droop settings. It's the same mistake HPI made. For now I will thread the pistons in or out to set tweak. I still wouldn't give up the dual rate pistons for threaded bodies if I had a choice
I'm going to run my corally at the Las Vegas race this week but i'm going to try and give the KX1 a run to compare the two.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 07:33 AM   #27
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm confused. Whats the difference between the droop screws and the screws that some use to set ride height? It was my understanding that they were one-in-the-same.

If thats correct, then I understand why some companies don't use them. There is simply too many different oppinions about whether they are good or bad. Some say they are bad because the flex the suspension arms and damage the chassis.

I do agree that companies should put them on though. That way you have a choice of using them or not. From a company standpoint, its always better to give you the extras and give you the option of using them.
Old 09-29-2001, 09:16 AM   #28
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

They are effectively the same thing. If you are running zero pre-load on your springs they act as droop screws but if you are running with a spring pre-load then they effectively adjust your ride height!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 03:49 PM   #29
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to Colossus
Lightbulb

kyosho makes threaded touring shocks.
will they accept the floating piston system?
what hop-ups are out for the kx1 at all?
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 12:22 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Looking for a good carpet setup

Anyone have a good carpet set-up for the KX-One using rubber tires? If so please post.
What gearing are you running for stock also?
Thanx,
SWG
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote