R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-25-2002, 09:01 PM   #181
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

cole - you're right. i'm close, though. were you talking about the battery being too far over? some of the battery is still on the other side. it's a bit too far. not with a transponder though. i'm trying to reduce the weight associated with the battery straps that i made. i'm gonna switch to aluminum posts and a carbon strap. i may then shim over the whole assembly until it's dead on. i took the pic just for documentation purposes. i still need to tweak.

sosidge - first... props to your handle name. and yes the mission is as solid as it gets. i have a 99pro and i love it. i think schumacher has it together with every aspect of their product. from design, to craftsmanship, to tech support they are complete. design after design i have noticed that they favor the ultra low cg approach rather than running everything as central as possible. so i have both extremes with these two cars. with schuie, even the motor is on one side. possibly the lowest cg of any tourer, but the weight is like wings when it comes to momentum and roll moments of inertia. at least in theory. i had to try the kx, but i dunno if the inline concentration is enough to compenstate for the raised cg. really i bought the fsr bullet to try to run a kx layout with the belt on the outside of the battery like the pro3. i don't have time to persue that road right now. in time though, id like to see a single belt design that transfers the power to two sealed gearboxes. heavy though, but should still be efficient given the tc3 drive characteristics. this would allow me to run everything like the kx, but directly on the chassis floor, not up 1/4"+. i had started with the idea of two fireblade 2wd gearboxes b/c i have so many schuie diff parts. couple this to a pivot ball susp and voila, my prototype. one day maybe.

word! lets keep this thread fresh. see ya.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 02:36 AM   #182
Tech Elite

Seaball, to be honest about the batts, I dont know for sure. I've only seen the pics. Put the car on two spikes excactly in the middle and check if it's balanced.

In the Kyosho main catalog one year ago, there was a picture of the KX-1 from above. It looked liked this: I----I

Extremely pure design, no side wings. It was a prototype, and they just glued the ESC and RX on the sides. Instead of moving batts, I think it's better to follow this idea, and then use leightweight ESC and RX.

I still got the catalog. If you're interested, I can get the picture scanned.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 08:52 PM   #183
Tech Elite

i have those pics. i do think, however, that the cg is too high that way. i dunno. gotta be different.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:45 PM   #184
Tech Elite

some slight mods coming your way folks. i took it out today, but i had forgotten to stiffen my front springs when i mounted them in another hole. tons of roll. disgusting amounts. oh well. more pics soon. why not, right? later.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:12 PM   #185
Tech Elite

oh yeah...ttt. and another comment on the high cg. i can't keep this thing off of its lid. yeah i know...better driving. but really, whenever it rolls, it stays put on its top. more than half of the time. man, i skim dots and up and over for a fourty foot slide. i guess i'll paint the next body black. right? thoughts folks. later.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:52 AM   #186
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to fIShCaKe Send a message via Skype™ to fIShCaKe
Default HI!

Hi there! I've heard some cons about the KX-One and was wondering if anyone can give me some comments about the KX-One and TF-4. Is TF-4 better than the KX-One? Do Hobby Shops still supply the optional and stcok parts of TF-4? Will the guys out there help me? Thanx!
fIShCaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 06:19 AM   #187
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ernestf

i dont see any TF4 hopups available here in HK anymore ..... in fact, i rarely see TF4 run on track for long long time, altho i did own one few yrs ago.
ernestf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 06:21 AM   #188
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ernestf

kyosho is coming out with KX-one conversion kit, this is what their team drivers use in the last HK race (dec 2001).

http://www.kyosho.co.jp/models/newitem/kxw20.html

but it is quite expensive tho.
ernestf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 03:27 PM   #189
Tech Initiate

Send a message via ICQ to Colossus

seaball resist the temptation to cut the corner.

btw what is the best track material you"ve seen
they use 3" pvc tubes at the track i run on.

i do use the front diff in my car.

maybe i can find someone to make me a 3.5mm rear shock tower
hhmmm.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 11:53 PM   #190
Tech Elite

wow. good to see some activity. umm...

collosus, you can find some c/f plates and stock at www.mcmaster.com i do know that it takes about two weeks for them to get them in b/c they are not a stock item. on the track thing. i really like dots or bevelled side strips. despite my recent complaints, i like the realism of the bevels. it really makes you cringe when you get a foot of air...and then land on the roof. you'd think that would make me deathly afraid of cutting. not the case. but i am painting a new body, so maybe that'll help me refine my skills.

fish, the tf4 is a great car. very typical of most tourers. that's boring to me. plus i don't like running saddle packs. the kxone drive is so efficient. i just put a tensioner behind the layshaft and this allowed me to run the foreward one really loose. super fast. i still haven't decided if the raised cg is the way to go. that conversion looks like they've put the batteries back down to ground level taking advantage of the gap between cells to run the belt. my lhs sells both, but stocks nothing for either. i indulged in the luxury of buying a backup kx so i'm set. oh, and don't forget that the kx comes with a oneway that's only good for about five runs, so add the cost of another, or a diff too.

well, till next time...later. you fellas should post pics of your cars in the readers rides forum. i will soon...unless i mess up my new body.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:56 PM   #191
Tech Elite

hey, are there different castor blocks for the kxone or tf4. i'd like to double the existing castor angle. or thereabouts. does anyone know where i can get some, whether they be oem or aftermarket? and really...rear carriers that may have more toe in. i know and understand the shimming principle behind the hingepin mounts, but i'd find it hard to believe that there's nothing else out there. what about other manufacturers? anything else fit?

oh...i'll have some more pics soon. it's really just for my own enjoyment. but you can check out the mods i made and give me your opinion. later.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:40 AM   #192
Tech Adept

Default problems

Need help with Kyosho KX-1
Well, I just acquired this car in a trade, but it came with no instuction manual. Here are some questions I have.

1. Can I get an instruction manual anywhere?

2. It came with a 64 pitch spur gear. I have no 64 pitch pinions. Anyone know how to go about figuring gearing. Can I convert it to 48 pitch? Also, the website only gives gearing for a 23 turn "stock" as 128/ 38. I will probably be putting a 19 turn in (as I have one in the car the electronics are being stolen from.) If I knew the right pinion size, I could go ahead and just get a 64pitch pinion.

3. Any issues I should know about. It seems pretty complicated to take apart, and I am conserned about possible belt changes later on. I also heard the one way was iffy, so a little concerned there too.

4. I have never owned a tourer before. Any suggestions on a good tire that will give decent grip but long life span. I remember seeing adds for Losi tires in a magazine that said they lasted longer, and HPI has good things to say (of course) about there own tires as far as life goes. I don't want to dump a whole lot into this car as I am not sure how long I will keep it.
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 12:20 AM   #193
Tech Elite

24601 - good to hear of a new kx owner. i've been running mine for about two months now. haven't broken a thing on the car. servos are another story though. i am running mine w/o a servo saver as someone said that the stock and kimbrough savers are too soft. i just lost a s9402 tonight. yeah, $100. regardless.

i don't know about the manual. i have an extra if you'd like. the car isn't really that complicated, just that things have to be done in order i'd say. and yes belt changes are ridiculous. you have to split the car in half and take the arms off to do this. however, i've put about 70 runs on mine, and the belt is in great shape. by the looks of it, i'd say at least to 200 before it goes. i run it loose with a tensioner behind the layshaft too.

gearing. the stock 128/38 gives a 6.57:1 ratio. that's fairly normal for stocks. for the 19, many run about the same gearing or drop just a few teeth off of the pinion. i'd go with maybe a 34, but i like to wind out on the straights, so that i have some low end through the turns.

tires. the hot tickets right now are take off tires distributed by schumacher usa. nobody can keep the take off's on the shelf. and sorex tires grip like hell, but the temp range is small, and they wear poorly. the old standards are yokomo 138g's. i am trying the losi yellow compound a7701's. they grip fairly well, and the wear is excellent. i'm really impressed. and they come with inserts. they fill the tire maybe too much, but they still run great. that would be my vote from a recreational standpoint. ultimately the take offs are my favorite from a performance standpoint, and they also come with inserts. just that the losi's seem to last like crazy. all of these tires should be available from www.speedtechrc.com hummmm, maybe not the losi's, but definately the rest.

lastly, the one way. i heard so much about it destructing in less than ten runs, that i never even ran it with it in. fortunately, like you, i found some good deals for used ones. two in fact. it just made sense to get another kx one and take the rear diff out of it instead of spending $70 to build one. so now i have and extra car with dual one ways. not really, it's in parts that i take with me. i'm never sidelined. but i have yet to even reach into that box. i dunno, i have a good one way if you blow yours, but i'd guess you wouldn't pay money for another piece of garbage.

well, hope that helped. let us know.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:46 AM   #194
Tech Adept

Thanks for the reply, that helps a lot.
I think I might go pick up a set of te Losi tires to get used to the car.
I would like to get that manual from you if you would be willing to sell it. You can email me to work things out.
[email protected]

I guess I will see about picking up that pinion. Can I convert to 48 pitch? I have a lot of those gears sitting around.
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 10:22 PM   #195
Tech Elite

yeah, i run 48. i like about a 90 tooth for my spur. if it will be cheaper, then do that. i'll mail ya. later.