R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Default insanely fast on-road car

Im thinking of making a car purely built for speed. I was wondering what yo guys thought would be a good base for making this happen. I was thinking maybe a pan car? Motor suggestions?

RC8T-RB S3-Hitec Servos- Spektrum
beginner4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner4life View Post
Im thinking of making a car purely built for speed. I was wondering what yo guys thought would be a good base for making this happen. I was thinking maybe a pan car? Motor suggestions?
sure .. using mamba max pro going to 6S lipo ... go for 2.5T brushless motor .. u will cry ...
Old 07-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilekt View Post
sure .. using mamba max pro going to 6S lipo ... go for 2.5T brushless motor .. u will cry ...
lets see how many motors he burns up like that. I say go 1/8 electric car with monster max 2650 on 6s
Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
Tech Elite

1/10 scale dragster. Built to do one thing... Go vary, vary fast in a stright line.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Tech Addict

I'm not lookin to use a drag car cause I still want handling. I don't have a huge budget so I don't think 1/8 would be the best option. So do you think pan car is my best option?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Tech Elite

It would be the simplest to setup, but you will need good traction with these kinds of cars.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

With todays extreme brushless and lipo power, 4wd is the best way to get power down for insane speeds. Any of the popular touring cars that you can get heavy duty parts for would be the best option. A pan car would be cheap and easy to set up, but will really struggle to put all that power down. The most popular models for speed runs are the TC3/TC4. There are so many option parts available that it is easy to build one of these nearly bulletproof and able to withstand 2-4HP.

I built a TC3 with nothing but steel diffs, and upgraded driveshafts, Mamba Max Pro, Medusa 3300Kv, 5s Lipo, and most importantly, good tires. I only saw 89 on radar, but I know I had several passes not checked that seemed much faster.

Nic Case is the world record holder. I believe his current record is with a Schumacher MI4 that he custom built many parts for. Now he is working on a shaft drive car for a new record shot. http://www.rc-isc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459
burnineyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
Tech Addict

I'm really not lookin for a record here or anything I just want something to go reasonably fast. So you think a pan car would be pretty fast? Maybe some weight to help get the power onto the ground?

Old 07-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Tech Elite

I agree, a 4WD sedan is the way to go. But avoid the shaft drive cars. They create major torque steer with motors over 17.5. A belt car is going to run much more smoother at higher speeds. Not only that, but a sedan is going to handle unprepared surfaces far better than a Pan car.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Any specific suggestions? I'll probably buy it used

Old 07-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
Tech Elite

TC5 for starters. I know a few guys who have ran this car in speed runs, and hit the 90MPH mark with it.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iPearl Send a message via MSN to iPearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnineyes View Post
With todays extreme brushless and lipo power, 4wd is the best way to get power down for insane speeds. Any of the popular touring cars that you can get heavy duty parts for would be the best option. A pan car would be cheap and easy to set up, but will really struggle to put all that power down. The most popular models for speed runs are the TC3/TC4. There are so many option parts available that it is easy to build one of these nearly bulletproof and able to withstand 2-4HP.

I built a TC3 with nothing but steel diffs, and upgraded driveshafts, Mamba Max Pro, Medusa 3300Kv, 5s Lipo, and most importantly, good tires. I only saw 89 on radar, but I know I had several passes not checked that seemed much faster.

Nic Case is the world record holder. I believe his current record is with a Schumacher MI4 that he custom built many parts for. Now he is working on a shaft drive car for a new record shot. http://www.rc-isc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459
Nic Case's new car seems to be from Associated.
A TC4/3 Carbon fiber Chassi, stretched to a dragster.

The regular things apply again. U need insanely fast motors with crazy torque.
B40 or C40 By Hackers, Lehners and Platinburgs are some of the motors that are used in dragsters. But they go by Scale quater mile and Fast accelaration rather top speed. they can reach 70-80mph in a short distance. rather than reaching top speed on a loooong runway.

So motor wise try looking into Heli motors by the above listed manufacturers. Or something that has alot of Top end and has the powerband sitting at the top end rather the low/mid end. So there are alot different BL powerband motors out there some not form the car world but the fly world
Regular TC motors will get you no where for speed runs since most of them are mid end power

Next thing would be your body and wheels. Body has to be a high downforce body especially the front. at 45-60 mph mark you car will go airbourne with regular TC bodies that includes most of the Rac TC bodies.There are a few bodies that keep steady and dont make ur car start doing jiggy wiggy stuff at high speeds. Different bodies handle different on diff cars with differnet suspension geometry.

Batteries you need some nice High C rated batteries that can deliver the amperage.

Thats about the basics to go fast. There are alot of minor small things in there. but mainly it will depent on ur Wallet size and physics.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Not a Dragster hes building there. Its a Streamliner built for very long run-up and high speed. The long wheelbase should overcome most of the torque steer common with shaft drive.

For a nice fast daily driver its hard to beat a plain ol touring car (shaft or belt drive). As long as the car has aftermarket support so you can upgrade axles, belts, diffs, etc. You can build a reliable 60+ street machine with a plain ol Mamba Max 7700 system and a few lipos.
burnineyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
Tech Addict

so something like http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...an-roller.html What would be the issues with this? Not enough weight?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Good day!

What kind of speeds are you looking for? Pan cars can be fast on a well prepared track. I run pro 10 on a track that is blown off with a leaf blower and then sprayed with sugar water to keep the dust down and for traction. With the 2WD pan car a small amount of dust will cause loss of traction and all you will do is very fast donuts. The 4WD cars will have way more traction and are mor forgiving in a parking lot run. With todays programable speedo's the 4WD touring cars can be quite fast even with a 17.5 brushless.
I will not send Pay Pal as a gift or add fees to the price so DO NOT ASK!
BCbud is offline   Reply With Quote