R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Smith

Conrad, I have never run anything in speed runs but BSR caps or normal foams so I can’t tell you if they would work or not, my guess that they would not but I really don’t know.

The problem I see is that with the insert and outer rubber not connected under huge RPM the rubber would just balloon up until it popped.

Also the twin motor is a fun thought but I have seen and tried twin motors in the past they just seem to fight one another as there is no way to get two identical brushless motors to run exactly the same all the way up to speed. What tends to happen is one motor out works the other and the car fights to make speed or gets very uncontrollable.

BUT I only know what I know so don’t not try something just because I say it didn’t work for me.

As for bodies it all depends on the class you run in. The stock classes (2 cell both 2wd and 4wd) require you to run a manufactured body (one anyone can buy). The 2 cell class was designed to allow people to compete with stock over the counter kits and equipment. If you want to build a custom car or body you would need to move to a class that allows for that like the electric modified or open class.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

OFNA DM-1 on 6S. 80+ mph, plenty fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89zoVYnD1Qs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kHI_VRE_pQ <-race
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Alright so looks like im gonna try and get a TC5 and run it on 2s. The only question now is electronics. Would the 550 can be too large for a TC5?

RC8T-RB S3-Hitec Servos- Spektrum
beginner4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Your pick of brand, but if you are going 2 cell a 3.5 motor and matching ESC is the way I would go.

Don't let this happen to you....

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #35
Tech Master

Hi mate, check out the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-Rix58b_E

It's pretty easy to go fast with a Pro 10 car. Wack in your LiPo pack with a low turn brushless setup, put a small spur gear in with a large pinion and away you go. Just make sure the surface is pretty flat as Pro10's go airbourne if the front end lift's at speed! Oh, and don't rev it too much when you hold the car off the ground, I did just that and the tyres expanded so much they ripped the cross brace clean off the chassis!!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I agree the TC5 is a good choice. The car should be able to withstand reasonably high speed and give you good drive-ability at normal speeds.

I do highly suggest getting an ESC that can handle more than what you need. A high Kv motor and 2s can easily bring most people 60mph, and even higher if you build a car specifically to go straight and fast. The downside is that high Kv motors eat electricity and heat up fast. A lower Kv motor and ESC capable of higher voltages is safer and more reliable in most cases.

With higher voltage, you can achieve similar speeds, but without excessive current. For all out records it is super fun to push everything to its limits, but for a fast reliable car, higher voltage is your friend.
burnineyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Ohh haha thanks Tim. I think with pro 10 the street may be a little rough for them but idk

Old 07-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Battery wise, I would suggest the ThunderPower 5200 50/100c 2s LiPo.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #39
Tech Master

I can only agree. We race pro10 with a 10.5t and 2s and i am clocking speeds now of over 57 miles/hour on the straight. This is measured with a speed trap on the end of the straight part of the circuit. Because we drive
2wd we brake already inside the speed trap for a 180 degree very tight hairpin. (the touring cars can brake a little later) So the speed is higher on the straight, at least 60m/h. This is not a large piece of road with god knows how long of a straight but on a 1/8 onroad circuit. So you have to gear for the infield as well as for the straight.

Now beat that with your brick shaped cars lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2 View Post
Hi mate, check out the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-Rix58b_E

It's pretty easy to go fast with a Pro 10 car. Wack in your LiPo pack with a low turn brushless setup, put a small spur gear in with a large pinion and away you go. Just make sure the surface is pretty flat as Pro10's go airbourne if the front end lift's at speed! Oh, and don't rev it too much when you hold the car off the ground, I did just that and the tyres expanded so much they ripped the cross brace clean off the chassis!!
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #40
Tech Addict

Wow, pro 10 is sounding pretty appealing...

Old 07-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #41
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
Battery wise, I would suggest the ThunderPower 5200 50/100c 2s LiPo.
I wont debate who has the "best" cells, all I can say is I have set several speed records both straight line and closed course (oval) using MaxAmps packs while others were using TP or some similar brand and they have been unable to go faster.

There is nothing wrong with other companies products at all, just stating what I have done and like I said before it really is up to what you like and has worked well for you.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A 10th scale pan car is easily capable of 80mph, in a controlled enviroment. If you ever want to drive in your driveway or parking lot you will be limited how fast you can safely go by pure ground clearance and suspension travel limitations.
burnineyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know at one of the BRCA TC national rounds this year they were hitting over 70mph on the straight with rubber tires and that would of been with a large air gap between the insert and rubber. Sure it was a GM 6T delta motor on 2S lipo

I hear what your saying about the twin motor idea Tim, I know a few years back Schumacher clocked over 100mph with a twin motor Mi3.5 but they were using two transmitters. One tx drives the car until it's flatout then the second Tx applies the throttle for the second motor.