R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Probably around 60 or 70. For starters at least. Looks like 4WD TC is the way to go

RC8T-RB S3-Hitec Servos- Spektrum
beginner4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Have you used RC cars befor? You are not going to get a car to handle/turn at that speed unless you are on a realy realy big track.
I will not send Pay Pal as a gift or add fees to the price so DO NOT ASK!
BCbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Yes ive owned many RC cars mostly off-road, i also race 1/8 scale nitro off road. Im not talking about turns when driving at full speed but i want to still be able to drive around (IE turning) while not going for speed runs.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Smith

The suggestion of a touring car is very good advice if you just want a good car you can run fast over and over and have little focus on record setting, but you might want to check out the ISC site and forums for real solid info on speed run cars if you do want to turn it up a few notches.

RC-ISC.com

BTW you can easily do 60-80 mph using a Novak motor on a good old GTB controller and a MaxAmps 4200 2 cell pack.

I hold the ISC 2 cell record at 101 mph using that exact combo and the electric modified (4 cell) record at 126.5 mph.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Thanks, i appreciate the advice. It sounds like you definitely have some experience with this stuff What car would you recommend?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #21
Tech Adept

I run dragster style cars. (TimSmithRacing.com) They have their advantages and disadvantages, but if you want a car you can do donuts with in the street too then it may not be the best choice.

I have seen just about every kind and scale of car compete in high speed runs and what it all comes down to is what You like the best. If you’re a buggy guy or a motorcycle guy pick what you like and make it fast.

Don’t let what you read fool you, you don’t have to buy a sensorless motor (i.e. Mamba) and stuff 6-8 lipo cells in it to get 100+ mph. You certainly can, but you don’t have to.

When I first set the 2 cell record in 2008 in Rockingham at 84 mph and then in 2009 in Fontana at the current 101 mph it was done on purpose with normal ROAR legal equipment. No timing advancing speed control or anything like that. One Novak 3.5 motor on a GTB pushed by 7.4v of MaxAmps power, items everyone can walk into their LHS and pick up.

Granted my cars are set up pretty well and my aero package has been trimmed out as far as it can go, but my point is anyone can achieve really high speeds in an RC car with very little power and money and that has always been my goal in the 2 cell class. Stuffing a huge 1/8 scale motor into a car and loading it up with 8 cells to get 100 mph is really just covering up lots of car problems with insane power, it can work but just doesn’t do it for me.

Hope that helps, if not feel free ask away.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #22
Tech Addict

A motorcycle sounds interesting....I haven't seen many motor cycles, I guess there's the venom one and I've seen nitro. Arethere any motorcycles that would accomodate a fast brushless setup?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #23
Tech Adept

ISC Motorcycle speed record: 92.32 mph Lito Reyes, if you YouTube Lito I would be willing to bet you can find the record run.

I am not sure what bike Lito used, but I know he wrote an article not long ago (June 2010 issue) in RC car action covering all the positives and negatives of several manufactures bikes including nitro and electric. You might even do a search on these forums for him and ask him directly what he used.

All I can say about the bikes is unless you have been driving them for awhile they can be difficult to get up and running well, much less going 100 mph but they do look cool.

Also Lito's bike was electric, I believe it was a mamba 5700 on four small lipo cells.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #24
Tech Addict

A bike would be fun, but as you say probably requires a different skill set then just a touring car. Alright so i think ill go with a 1/10 TC probably run it on 3s. What motor/esc combo do you think would be best? Maybe even run it on 4s if the ESC could handle it

BTW i really appreciate all the time youve put in to help me Tim

Old 07-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Novak GTB, or Tekin RS Pro. The GTB will probably be cheaper.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #26
Tech Addict

The GTB only goes to 2s... to go decently fast on 2s you need a pretty resistance free car id think

Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Before I go any further, running an RC car on 3 or 4 cells at 100+ mph can and will cook equipment if you are not careful, it can be done safely but you just have to take your time and make steps toward super high speeds.

Also we never spoke of tires but this is the single biggest hurtle to over come. Foam or cap tires spinning at enough RPM to move a car 100 mph tend to come apart… so yeah be ready for that little fun fact.

Honestly I have tested nearly everything out there, from Mamba pro-Maxx, Tekin RS-RX8, Speed passion (which includes all the “ZErun” stuff) LRP, and of course Novak GTB, HV, Havoc and am currently working on the Kinetic.

They all have performed well, so if you have a favorite your better to go with something you have history with and have had good success from.

As for timing advancing ESC I have not seen too much gain using one in speed runs. Don’t get me wrong in drag racing or oval and on road, yeah they are something else but during a 1100 foot run I have yet to find the same magic.

I personnel love sensored motors, they have tons more adjustability then a nonsensored and that to me equals options to find speed. The Novak Ballistic has all that and more and if you ask nice they will build you a Tim Smith signature edition motor the same as I run.

As for motor the same applies as did in speed controls, get what you like and has worked for you. My only word of advice is “if possible” get a motor and esc that are from the same company, I have always felt things played much better with each other this way.

As for motor KV, it depends on how much voltage you are going to throw at it.

For me if I take my peak voltage, say 2 cell lipo @ 8.4v and remove 40-45% 5.04v and do all my KV calculations off that number I tend to not blow things apart and has proven to be extremely accurate for determining true running RPM.

I am NOT saying my packs drop 40-45% under load, but the entire car, weight, down force, air drag, gear drag, wheel spin and so on eat up all that power. Removing the 40-45% from the voltage is just an easy way to arrive at the same number.

So to save you doing the math:

3 cells: 12.6v – 40% 7.56v
7900KV motor

4 cells: 16.8v – 40% 10.08v
6000KV motor

I wont get into sensored and nonsensored motors and the KV difference at this point lets just assume they are equal.

I currently use 540 motors, but if you can get a nice sensored 550 motor in your TC without messing too much with your weight/balance they can make more power with less stress.

And your more then welcome for the help, isn’t that what forums are for… 
Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #28
Tech Addict

All of this info is very useful thank you very much tim

It sounds like in your opinion 2s would be better. Im guessing with 2s id go with a pretty low turn motor, around 2.5?

Well if im going to run 2s that really opens up my options for ESC choice as alot of sensored ESC's only take 2s. The novak GTB is probably my best bet as it has a reasonable price and seems to also be a good ESC.

You dont see too many 550's but ill take a look

It is but most people are not willing to put in this much so thanks

Old 07-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #29
Tech Adept

2 cells is great because like you said it opens up a huge world of options.

It does however as you pointed out take effort to get a car on that low of voltage to run that fast but, I Tell’s Ya it can be done~!

As for 550 motors, Novak has a Ballistic line of both 540 and 550 motors and you can get either one built to my specifications if you like.

I have run a few 2.5 motors and they have done nothing more then make magic blue smoke so I steer clear of them now. The long run up and heavy acceleration seems to make them draw too much current and sadly no matter the brand they have all not live a long and happy life and usually take the esc with them. 3.5 – 4.5 have served me well on 2 cells.

The current ISC 4wd 2cell record is 91.9 mph by Jake Rosen (of Jake’s Performance Hobbies) set only a few weeks back in Santa Rosa CA.
I was at this event and it was run on a normal side street in an industrial area, dusty, dirty and even a bit bumpy but the TC ran well with no issues and because I have this kind of access (I work for the ISC) here is exactly what he used to do it.

Driver: Jake Rosen
Car: Team Associated, TC5
Power System: LRP 3.5 motor, LRP TC Spec ESC
ESC Settings: Wide Open!
Battery: ThunderPower 5200mah 50c 7.4 Pro Race
Gearing: Precision Racing Gears 100 / 58
Radio Gear: Spektrum, Dx3R tx, Spektrum SR3100 RX
Servo: Futaba S9350
Gyro: None installed
Body: Protoform Mazda 6 (Trimmed wing and cut out rear of body)
Tires: Jaco Nitro Shoes
Car Setup: TC5 setup for road racing, nothing out of the ordinary, just some minor changes for the high speeds.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Tim, you mentioned tires earlier. How well do TC rubber tires with hard inserts work at these kind of speed's compared to the foams/caps?

Always wanted to build a speed run car but never got around to it yet. A twin motor TC4, 4.5t motor each on 2S was my thoughts. The extra torque from the second motor should help with the aerodynamic drag at the higher speeds. Are you gents all running custom bodyshells and undertrays or off the shelf TC bodies?