R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-01-2004, 09:01 PM   #1
Tech Master

Post When it comes to kit construction is this being to picky. . . .

Ensuring that every screw on a particular component has the same amount of torque applied and if a two speed gearbox recommends a shifting point of 2500rpm for example I'll get a rev counter to ensure that it does and I don't mean 2499 or 2501 it will be 2500.

I ask because that's how I used to do it in off-road but as has been pointed out on my other thread todays kits are tougher than I might recall so I don't want to waste my time where its not needed.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:06 PM   #2

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

Torquing(sp?) might not be too bad of an idea, it would give the car a good overall tweak, and the gear cases would be evenly pressed down. Thus not crushing one bearing more than the other.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:12 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Trinityracinnut
Torquing(sp?) might not be too bad of an idea, it would give the car a good overall tweak, and the gear cases would be evenly pressed down. Thus not crushing one bearing more than the other.
Glad to hear it although it tends to take me a couple of nights to put a kit together this way. I usually go o.m.g when I here people say they do it in a few hours.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:15 PM   #4

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

It all depends on how picky people get. I like my cars to look good when I am done with them. I pick off all the burrs and round all the square edges on everything.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey Stephen... you can come over and make my cars look pretty too
There is nothing wrong with taking your time and making sure everything is right but you can take it too far. When I build a new kit it takes me two nights or about 6 to 8 hours. As long as the drive train and suspension is free and the car tweaks out nice I dont think much else will show up on the track... just my opinion
But heck its a hobby and supposed to be fun... if you enjoy perfection have at it
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:38 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Takes me a week to build a kit. But this factors in work, eat, sleep.. blah blah blah. I like to take my time and cut the burrs off. Build everything nice and slow. Maybe 2-3 hours a night. So maybe up to 15 hours til it's complete and ready to go. I don't "measure" how tight I do the screws. You just need to know generally how tight they should be by hand or finger when goin into plastic, metal, aluminium, etc. I'm not anal about it or anything.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:04 AM   #7
Tech Addict

2 speed gearbox...not an issue with an electric tourer as they are illegal(for competition)and rarely sold anymore.

Torqueing screws?...unnecessary. Tighten til they just snug down on plastic components, such as gearbox housings, shock tower mounts etc.. Most are composite plastics and will strip threads easily if you over tighten then.

As far as thread locking compounds, a small blob on screws that thread into steering posts doen't hurt. I use the Tamiya threadlock as it's enough to stop screws loosening off without glueing parts together forever.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:14 AM   #8
Tech Master

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon K
2 speed gearbox...not an issue with an electric tourer as they are illegal(for competition)and rarely sold anymore.

Torqueing screws?...unnecessary. Tighten til they just snug down on plastic components, such as gearbox housings, shock tower mounts etc.. Most are composite plastics and will strip threads easily if you over tighten then.

As far as thread locking compounds, a small blob on screws that thread into steering posts doen't hurt. I use the Tamiya threadlock as it's enough to stop screws loosening off without glueing parts together forever.
I know that much, I was talking back in the days of the Mini Mustang. :P
Old 06-02-2004, 01:31 AM   #9
Tech Addict

LOL, I had a mate adjust mine, I bought it second hand and had no idea what was going on. I don't think the car finished too many races anyway with bits falling off it at irregular intervals.

Several big differences between now and then... Instruction manuals are generally excellent now, compared to what you or I dealt with back then. If you still have a problem, there's always a resource like this forum to use too.

The materials used in the kits are heaps better and you often can buy a kit that needs no extra parts to be competitive...unlike the old days with buying a CAT XL then all the MMS parts to rid it of the integrator and rear diff...or the Mini Mustang and hoping the plastic bits wouldn't just fly off it...
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 02:38 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

a team member was converting his yok sd to the rayspeed chasis. he was filing the bat slots when he noticed that in one of the slots the bat hangs a bit lower (mind you, if you install the bats, the one where he over filed will not actually hang out coz the packs are glued together right?) so what did he do? well, simply, he bought another rayspeed chasis and kept the one that was not done perfectly. talk about perfection.
evaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 02:46 AM   #11
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Quote:
Originally posted by evaa
a team member was converting his yok sd to the rayspeed chasis. he was filing the bat slots when he noticed that in one of the slots the bat hangs a bit lower (mind you, if you install the bats, the one where he over filed will not actually hang out coz the packs are glued together right?) so what did he do? well, simply, he bought another rayspeed chasis and kept the one that was not done perfectly. talk about perfection.
He must have a big wallet!
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:01 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A well assembled car will always perform better with fewer probs... take your time, make everything neat and clean and if u have access to torque wrench, then y not... but i don't think that it is nessasary.. judging by feel is fine... u won't get time to use your torque wrench at the track when u r rebuilding your car between heats....