R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-20-2010, 03:30 AM   #16
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

sounds good,

last question (sorry too many questions)

lets say i have the ''perfect'' FDR for our track with a 4.5T motor and then whants to switch to 5.5T... what shall i do to my pinion size and why??

let's say i have a 23 pinion on the 4.5T, for the 5.5T should i go 24 or 22 ?? and why ??

cheers
Thanks to all my sponsors: Modelix/Ultimate Racing, AKA Racing, AVID Racing, Stick-it1 Racing and HES
KWT-NITRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #17
Regional Moderator

Higher winds have more torque and less RPM, so you'd add teeth to the pinion. Think of it this way... the higher the number of winds (slower motor) you need to add teeth to get to the same speed, since it turns less RPM.

In VTA (21.5 motor), we were running an FDR around 4.6. In 17.5 rubber tire TC, an FDR around 6.2.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:37 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

Unhappy ESC high temp issues

hi all,
i'm a newbie in electric cars and i appreciate your help... i'm facing some issues with my car ESC, the ESC Temp is too high (95c) and its cutting off, while the motor Temp is low (58 C). i have downgraded the pinion gear from 23 to 21 and i guess that that Temp is getting lower on the motor and higher on the ESC.

My Car specs is:
Model:TTR sparrowhawk DX
upgrade motor/ESC: [BLC-75C] ACE ripper brushless 6100KV motor and OBL-75 ESC
battery: 7.4V 3300 mAh 30C

i hope to solve this before the ESC meltdown

Cheers
liquid-sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:56 AM   #19
Regional Moderator

Most likely your ESC isn't rated to handle that powerful of a motor. You should either change to a lower Kv motor, or get an ESC that can handle that motor.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #20
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your reply Joe, but this system is a Combo i bought the whole thing together, also someone also advised me to go for small pinion 16T, that should decries the heat, knowing that my Spur gear is 73T, also i have red that i should start with larger pinion 26T and monitor the Temp, its good to mention that my ESC comes without fan, should i consider installing one? the guide manual instructions that the Motor and the ESC should have the same TEMP reading.
liquid-sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to shesha

play with your pinion 2 steps in size you may get the right temp but the sounds of it your combo is not right, look at another esc.

Consider a speed passion you cant go wrong...