R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Basic information a battery is a volume unit with capacity like a oxygen cyclinder is try and push 3000 psi into a cylinder in one go and see what happens it will heat to extreme temps and will explode depending on the material used in the manufacture.A battery isnt any different try and push rediculous current through it and it will explode .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
balance charge always leaves a stock class racer flat that charge, its the subsequent charges that are real nice.
R
How does it leave a stock class racer flat?.. I've always balanced my packs during charging, and dont see how non balancing would be a performance enhancer?
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Basic information a battery is a volume unit with capacity like a oxygen cyclinder is try and push 3000 psi into a cylinder in one go and see what happens it will heat to extreme temps and will explode depending on the material used in the manufacture.A battery isnt any different try and push rediculous current through it and it will explode .
That is a flawed analogy. If you have a cylinder that will hold 1,000 cubic inches of air, it will not explode if you add 1,000 cubic inches of air in 60 seconds (like charging at 2C) versus adding 1,000 cubic inches of air in 120 seconds (or like charging at 1c). It still gets the volume it is rated for. Sure, if you charge in NiMH mode and go above 8.4v and/or fill the cylinder above 1,000 cubic inches, it will explode.

Either way the battery still peaks at 8.4 volts, one way just gets it there faster.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #19

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonTrap View Post
How does it leave a stock class racer flat?.. I've always balanced my packs during charging, and dont see how non balancing would be a performance enhancer?
hard to tell in mod. idk what u run but say even a 13.5. run the car (on or offroad) after u charged it thru a balancer (or if ur charger has 1 internal). do a full run thru it at least 1/2 way thru a discharge depending on what type of vehicle and thus the load.

let pack rest an hr or 2, run another class, practice somethin else, use another pack. then come back and charge the battery back up as normal w/o ur balancer in between. assuming you have decent packs and a good charger that has no issues with lipos (ie not MRC)...let it top up as normal. run again. u'll notice a difference. turn off ur boost for both as to not let the rpm jump fool you. really notice it in dirt oval, but even in other forms it can be seen. i didnt know myself til i did it with my then new balancer in a stock class and felt like i had a motor lay down on me or a diff loose. then i was informed on what occured. came back to that batt. check cells for equality then charged it as it was and its all good.

kinda the reverse of nimh and even older SCE nicad cells. SCEs could only be used once a wk in fact and nimh's were never as nice the 2nd time around, def by 3rd run of day.

give it a shot. then use ur balancer as maintenance tool. of course in mod, really doesnt matter.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote