R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-18-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default HPI SPRINT 2 vs TAMIYA TTO1E For Beginner Spec Class

Just thinking of a beginner/entry level Spec class that allows only one or two makes and have narrowed it down to these two chassis platforms. I'm guessing there are a ton of these already out there as drifters and bashers so this would be a class that's attractive to total newbies and bashers as well as drift enthusiasts who want to try their hand at some "grip" racing.
The Sprint 2 does seem to be more tunable in stock form with it's adjustable links but it should be an cheap and easy upgrade for the TT01(unless you have the TT01R Type E). Both also have alot of upgrade option potential and i'm assuming that alot out there are already upgraded.

So the question is, provided that they used the same electronics, motor and FDR, would either of these have any advantages over the other racewise?
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

one random question is the tt-01 really a beginers car or is it pro and for beginers.
supercrazy618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
Tech Master

I see it, in it's stock form, as a beginners car due to it's simplicity and limited tunebility. But that can be changed to a certain degree with a few option parts of course.

BUT, even heavily upgraded, it still can't compete with a full blown race car in faster classes like17.5+ boost and above.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

So what car would you say would fit my needs, not to exspensive and bit faster than the tt-01.
supercrazy618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
Tech Master

You already have several of your threads about your question. Please don't hijack this one.

Last edited by FREAKAH; 07-18-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREAKAH View Post
Just thinking of a beginner/entry level Spec class that allows only one or two makes and have narrowed it down to these two chassis platforms. I'm guessing there are a ton of these already out there as drifters and bashers so this would be a class that's attractive to total newbies and bashers as well as drift enthusiasts who want to try their hand at some "grip" racing.
The Sprint 2 does seem to be more tunable in stock form with it's adjustable links but it should be an cheap and easy upgrade for the TT01(unless you have the TT01R Type E). Both also have alot of upgrade option potential and i'm assuming that alot out there are already upgraded.

So the question is, provided that they used the same electronics, motor and FDR, would either of these have any advantages over the other racewise?
I run in a TT01 spec class. I ran Oval heavily about 20 years ago but nothing in the meantime, so I need to rebuild my driving skills and re-learn chassis tuning. That is the basis for my comment below.

The base TT01 is very sturdy and has very few tuning points. The TT01E has more tuning points and is just a sturdy [I assume]. The TT01E is also relatively inexpensive. The E version is an improvement over the base TT01 for chassis tuning and you need to decide which chassis you spec My local track chose the base TT01 with only a few hop-ups allowed. At our track, the TT01E owner would have to remove the non-allowed parts. If you allow both, the owners of the base TT01 will feel compelled to add the parts to make their car into a E version. This expenditure may turn off some potential racers.

One down side of Tamiya products is that you cannot buy just a broken part. You have to buy a whole "parts bag". Steering knuckles and body mounts, parts that I have broken the most, are in different bags on the TT01. I am accumulating quite a stack of parts, that almost never break, as I buy the bags containing the replacements for broken parts.

Another is that most of the fasteners are screws that go in to plastic. After removing and replacing these screws a few times during maintenance, they may strip out. If you can't fix it, the part has to be replaced and you are back in the "parts bag" issue mentioned above.

Don't get the idea the TT01 is a bad car. It is very simple and durable. It is just not a high-end car. The good news is that most of the parts bags are inexpensive. Just be sure you have a local hobby shop that stocks Tamiya parts. I think the TT01 is fine as a Spec class vehicle as long as you are aware of the down sides.

I can't speak to the HPI car as I have never seen one.

Last edited by bencason; 07-18-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: clarified thoughts regarding TT01 vs TT01E
bencason is offline   Reply With Quote