R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-30-2004, 07:09 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Exclamation Marshalling question/opinion.

Okay, here's a question about marshalling and I would like your opinion. A car crashes near your post, you run over to get it, the car tries to get back on the track themself, doesn't make it but is now further away from you.

My question: Do you chase it to get it back on? What if they do it EVERY time? What if they still do it after you've told them all day NOT to do that?

And sometimes they get mad at you for being too slow, even though they put themselves further away????
Gutter Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 07:27 PM   #2
Tech Regular

If they want their car marshalled they will allow you to do so. If they don't have the patience to allow the marshall to do his job, then it is only costing them time. Furthermore, If the driver is putting the marshall in any danger or is doing something stupid like revving the motor/engine as the marshall handles the car then they do so at their own peril. It would only take one time of having his car removed from the track to tune up his attitude.

In the end, he's in that spot due to his own driving or due to another driver, the marshall didn't put him there, and the marshall is his only friend on the track in that situation.
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 07:33 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Most of us try to do the throttle bump dance to get off of a board. As a driver and a marshall, I expect drivers to do everything they can to right themselves before the marshall gets there. Once the marshall is in position to put the car right, your finger should be completely off the throttle.

If a car has marshalled itself before I get there to do it, that's great. That doesn't bother me at all. It's when I am reaching for the car and the driver is still slamming the boards and the throttle that gets me. When a driver has the throttle pegged before I have set the car down, I just hold it up wait for them to come to their senses. This is a safety issue for me. I will not put myself in a position to get hurt when a car hits the track with the wheels going full speed and who knows what might happen.
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 07:44 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Oh geez, I put this in the wrong forum For onroad, it's a bit different. Trying to bump your self off the pipes is cool. Thanks for the replies so far. Buuuut.....

This should have been in the offroad forum It's when the cars get stuck on a pipe or jump into the wrong section and then try to get out and end up being farther away expecting to be marshalled.

Sooo, if a mod would move this for me that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:53 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

I agree with KMac and gotpez ... if the car is doing the board bouncing dance I wont reach down to pick it up ... I will bend down and put my hands out .. but not grab it until it stops .. SORRY to those that think this is wrong .. but I only have one set of fingers thanks ... I want them right where they are ... thank you very much .. so I wont risk it if someone on the stand is ripping the throttle when I am trying to marshall a car ... I have had race directors ask me to marshall the cars faster .. I just look at them and ask if they will pay for the surgery to replace any fingers torn off by nutty drivers that are reving the car when my fingers are on the car ... they usually get quiet and agree with me at that point ... no one is out there to get hurt ... so I say if a driver is being a nut and pegging the throttle I am happy to stand there and let them run out their tank or battery ... or if it gets out of hand ... I marshall them with my FOOT all nice and safe inside my shoe ... that has sent a few messages up to the drivers stand .. getting yelled at while they gun the throttle is no fun and in my opinion a very big show of bad sportsmanship ... so I just reward that show of bad sportsmanship with a nice love tap with my shoe ... I dont hurt their cars .. but it has gotten the attention of a few on the drivers stand that I wont put MY FINGERS in there when they are ripping on the throttle ... most are a lot nicer the next time ... just my .0002 on the subject

have fun racing .. this is a hobby with little TOY cars ... so play nice

E
roddude65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:01 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Actually, I'd say you're right on, roddude65, there's no reason to deal with a driver who won't give you a chance to safely right their car, regardless of the situation, or whether it's in offroad or onroad racing(& I do sometimes see drivers jumping barriers in onroad too, ending up in a completely different section of track). They should be allowed a chance to right themselves, but when it becomes obvious that they won't be able to straighten out, then the marshal needs to get there & take care of it, but ONLY AFTER the driver lets go of that throttle. When I have someone who constantly pegs the throttle when I'm reaching for the car or have it in my hands, I'll just hold it in the air & let it dangle until he lets off(or if he just won't stop I'll place it over the outer wall), & then when the race is over I'll educate him on proper driver etiquette(put in the most diplomatic way, of course, ). There's no reason to risk getting my hands ripped up just because someone screwed themselves up with a mistake, & if someone just won't quit doing it & the race director does nothing, then I simply won't marshall that car(or at the very least, I will take care of other cars first & then MAYBE help that guy out IF he's behaving himself)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 01:48 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

as i read the initial post, i think he's more asking should you be chasing cars that are driving away from you trying to get back on the track. with that said, here is my response:

regardless of if a car seems like it's going to be able to get off the pipe/jump under it's own power, i'm immediately running towards the car the second i see it's stuck. if i'm approaching the vehicle, and it starts driving away from me while the person is throttle jockeying it to get it unstuck, i'll continue moving towards the vehicle, but only at a walking pace (i'll also get any other vehicles that crash first at this point). if the driver backs off the throttle, or the car stops moving, i'll pickup the pace again.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 02:07 AM   #8
Tech Master

why are you guys so afraid of losing your fingers how can an rc car cut your fingers off I don't get it
FW-05RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:56 AM   #9
Tech Master

Default Re: Marshalling question/opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gutter Ball
Okay, here's a question about marshalling and I would like your opinion. A car crashes near your post, you run over to get it, the car tries to get back on the track themself, doesn't make it but is now further away from you.

My question: Do you chase it to get it back on? What if they do it EVERY time? What if they still do it after you've told them all day NOT to do that?

And sometimes they get mad at you for being too slow, even though they put themselves further away????
Well...in that case their dumb...because if they would of waited then they'd already be right side up and driving away if they would of waited for you to get there.

However...We run road-rail and it's very easy sometimes to give the throttle a quick blip and be off the boards. So if thats the case...I wouldn't be too mad and still go the extra mile to right them.

I do look at turn-marshaling a bit different than others though...I treat it like a sport. I wear Mechanix-type gloves and a pair of old running shoes. I enjoy the sprinting and adrenaline of marshalling cars. Honestly...thats one of the BIGGEST ways to make friends at a track...

If the drivers see you working your ass off and breaking yourself just to get them going ASAP...they really like it and will respect you. I really hate it when you get the guys that stand out there and eat/drink/scratch, etc and WALK to the cars to right them...

I love racing not just for the stand time...but for the challenge of being the quickest and most thorough marshal possible. Plus you can't beat the free hot-dogs from grateful drivers during the day.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 04:04 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by FW05R
why are you guys so afraid of losing your fingers how can an rc car cut your fingers off I don't get it
You pick up a 1/10th or 1/8th nitro car wobbling and bucking because a jackass driver keeps pegging the throttle. It's hard to hold onto. Plus there is a BIG clutch bell and tranny spinning around in there.

I had a friend in 2000 here in VA Beach get his pinky finger broken, because as he was picking up the car the finger got stuck in the rear wheel on a 1/8th and the driver pegged the throttle. Broke his finger and ripped about 1.5 inches of skin off.

It's not an easy thing to do...but you CAN get hurt in R/C. Just ask the airplane guys missing fingers.

THATS exactly why I wear hardened gloves while marshalling.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 06:27 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Okay, thanks for the replies. Yes I do run to get a car (I even fell/slipped in the mud a few times), because I marshall like I want to be marshalled. But if I get there and it starts driving away from me, I'm not happy.

So I guess I'll keep chasing it down, but at a slower pace. No point getting further away from my marshalling spot when someone who does wait for me to get them might get stuck right?
Old 06-04-2004, 03:14 PM   #12
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by FW05R
I have had a nitro car flywheel take the skin off to the bone on my finger when I went to pick it up. (it was out of control against the pipe) I have hear of 1/8th buggies breaking arms and legs, and ofcourse the urban legend of one taking someones head off springs up every once in a while.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 03:38 PM   #13
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
..., and ofcourse the urban legend of one taking someones head off springs up every once in a while.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 05:24 PM   #14
Tech Addict

I always marshall as I would have others do to my car. It is your DUTY to do the best you can.
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 06:49 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by jeepnyy
I always marshall as I would have others do to my car. It is your DUTY to do the best you can.
I agree and that's what I do. However, I don't drive away from a marshall when I see one running to get me though making it harder for him/her to right me up.

I haven't actually seen anybody get seriously hurt, but there have been a couple of bleeding gashes at the tracks I race at.