R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: southampton, UK
Posts: 145
Send a message via MSN to geubes
Default What Motor?

Ok so ive been running a duo/duo2 for the last 18 months in 17.5 and 13.5, these are great, fast and reliable motors that can be given some punishment.

However I find it very tempting to try another brand on motor, just to see if it can give that extra edge / brakes / punch.

Now I am looking for a 17.5 and/or a 13.5 suggestion to try. Obviously I dont want to go out and waste cash on a motor that will never get used. So i guess what im asking for is Who likes what and whether you have tried them against the duo motors? and also what to stay away from, some horror stories.

unbiased answers please, no sponsors trying to plug their motors.

however if the agreement is that the duo's really are some of the best motors, then ill keep running them and suppress my temptations.

also interested if anyone has backed to back a SP v3 vs a Duo, thoughts and preference.

I will be running the motors on a SP esc with timing and boost software
geubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,112
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

With the speed passion speed control the sp v3 motors feel and work fantastic. They rip really hard and come off about 130 deg.

I really don't like the way the duo feels with the speed passion gt2.1 with the 528 software. My 17.5 v3 sp has been great.
__________________
Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,800
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geubes View Post
Ok so ive been running a duo/duo2 for the last 18 months in 17.5 and 13.5, these are great, fast and reliable motors that can be given some punishment.

However I find it very tempting to try another brand on motor, just to see if it can give that extra edge / brakes / punch.

Now I am looking for a 17.5 and/or a 13.5 suggestion to try. Obviously I dont want to go out and waste cash on a motor that will never get used. So i guess what im asking for is Who likes what and whether you have tried them against the duo motors? and also what to stay away from, some horror stories.

unbiased answers please, no sponsors trying to plug their motors.

however if the agreement is that the duo's really are some of the best motors, then ill keep running them and suppress my temptations.

also interested if anyone has backed to back a SP v3 vs a Duo, thoughts and preference.

I will be running the motors on a SP esc with timing and boost software
Them both are good, I perfer the DUO because motor connection to esc... SP V3 are smoother than duo...duo rip alittle harder than SP....
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

The Duo1s and Duo2s are still top of the pile. Try all you like, but they are still the motors to beat.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Tech Champion
 
geeunit1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The dirty burnie
Posts: 5,506
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

LRP X12's They run on the warm side, but they like it that way
__________________
Mike Gee

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
Potoczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 3,609
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Default

Go with a BOSS motor and you'll never look back guaranteed!!! www.bossrcmotorsports.com
__________________
Pete Potoczak

Home entertainment specialist
Secure Technologies/ www.stiworldwide.com
Potoczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
Go with a BOSS motor and you'll never look back guaranteed!!! www.bossrcmotorsports.com
Where can I buy these boss motors?
JIM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
Potoczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 3,609
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM1 View Post
Where can I buy these boss motors?
www.bossrcmotorsports.com
__________________
Pete Potoczak

Home entertainment specialist
Secure Technologies/ www.stiworldwide.com
Potoczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
Go with a BOSS motor and you'll never look back guaranteed!!! www.bossrcmotorsports.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM1 View Post
Where can I buy these boss motors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
Just a rebadged v3 speed passion.
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
Tech Addict
 
Mugen10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 551
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mugen10 Send a message via Skype™ to Mugen10
Default

I think the Duo 2 is very hard to beat in TC.
Although I have to say the Ballistic 17.5 in 12th scale blew my Duo 2 out the window! The Ballistic was not as strong in TC but the 12th scale is a different story.
__________________
Central Kentucky Racing
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Xray T4
Mugen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,800
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Just a rebadged v3 speed passion.
Brandon it is not just rebadged V3 SP..I believe the BOSS tuned their motor and SP don't...
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Potoczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 3,609
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
Brandon it is not just rebadged V3 SP..I believe the BOSS tuned their motor and SP don't...
THis is correct, each BOSS motor is put on a dyno and tuned to maximum power by the one and only BOSS man himself!!!! You wont be disappointed!!!!
__________________
Pete Potoczak

Home entertainment specialist
Secure Technologies/ www.stiworldwide.com
Potoczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
Super Moderator
 
Cpt.America's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 11,081
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
THis is correct, each BOSS motor is put on a dyno and tuned to maximum power by the one and only BOSS man himself!!!! You wont be disappointed!!!!
How do they "tune" the motors?
__________________
A big thanks to my sponsors:
- Fantom Racing - www.fantomracing.com -
- Fusion Graphix- www.fusiongraphix.com -
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
Tech Champion
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,524
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
The Duo1s and Duo2s are still top of the pile. Try all you like, but they are still the motors to beat.
and I find that pretty easy to do with my speedpassion, don't make me post a link to the results page
__________________
semi retired..
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #15
Tech Champion
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,524
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
Them both are good, I perfer the DUO because motor connection to esc... SP V3 are smoother than duo...duo rip alittle harder than SP....
I would agree with this, but with corner speed you don't need so much rip, and as a side note, I have found a little trick to get that rip from a V3.

sorry, back on topic, I will but out, as I am bias
__________________
semi retired..
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What motor and pipe for vone rrr evo2? staikosn1 Nitro On-Road 45 10-15-2008 10:55 AM
What motor is best for 1/8 onroad bigmike Nitro On-Road 8 02-29-2008 05:18 AM
what motor is this? bigbutstupid Singapore R/C Racers 46 10-25-2007 07:33 PM
What motor Swaybarz Nitro Off-Road 26 07-20-2007 11:49 PM
What motor springs / 27T stock racing. sweet'n'sour Electric On-Road 16 04-05-2005 09:55 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:53 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net