R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-30-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default New to 10th scale electric....what should I buy?

I currently run a HPI NRS43 SS and I am getting bored with all the goop and tuning that needs to be done to keep the car in tip top shape.

I do not race (currently), and I am looking for a GREAT basher, but can be converted into a RACE ready electric 10th scale car.

I have searched on the boards, and I found these:

1. HPI Pro4
2. Alex Racing Baracuda 2 or 3
3. Xray T1?

If there are others to consider, then please let me know. I have my own FM Futaba radio, Novak XXL FM RX.

Also....what about a good, Middle grade motor? I would like something that is fast enought to keep me "interested", as I can turn down the the throttle ATV on my radio while i learn to drive it. I would then like to be able to to turn it up a notch, and get some more speed when I am ready.

I guess i need to look at a good ESC to match the motor....any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

Have a happy Memorial Day weekend!!!

PS: I will have a very good condition Nitro Rs43 SS kit for sale!!
With foams and a BRAND NEW, one run, RD Logic pipe!
atlrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Well, all the cars your listed a not great bashers, but all out race machines. Two cars that are very good for bashing and can be made into very good race cars are the Losi XXX-S Sport and the TC3 RTR.

A good esc/motor combination would be somewhere around a 12-15 turn motor (keeps you interested), and a F1 Pro Reverse esc(reverse can be disabled for racing). Also I would invested in Gold Peak 3300 batteries. You can either buy unmatched packs for bashing or invest in race grade matched packs.
TC3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:26 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

tc3er,

Thanks for the reply.

I did not think about the TL XXX-s....i will look at it. I am really not looking for an RTR, since i have the radio, RX. I would like a kit...so i could build it, and select my own motor and ESC.

regarding a motor mfgr...who is good on the larger 540 motors? I have heard that they are all pretty much the same these days..but I find that hard to believe.

ATLRCRACER
Old 05-30-2004, 01:26 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to AdR|aN

If your looking for a kit that is both good for bashing around at car parks and at the same time able to tune for race condition, get an Xray. Parts are durable and it will last. But IMO, get a kit that has the best support at your local hobby shop. That way if you do need a spare, it is readily available for you.

For ESC, wat are you looking at for? For some bashing around or maybe for some serious racing in the near future?

One thing i learn in playing this hobby is invest in better equipment cos you will never know what the future have in store for you. I would recommend two ESC that is currently can be considered as at the top of the food chain. Both Keyence V Zero Extreme '02 and Ko Propo VFS2000. If budget permits, you will never go wrong with either one.

Hope it helps

AdR|aN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

AdR|aN,

good point on the local support. I have a variety of hobby shops in Atlanta, Hobbytown (2), and other "mom&pop" shops. From what i remember...i dont think the HB carries Xray stuff...well at least they dont carry M18 parts!

ESC: Yes...bashing for now....and maybe some racing later this summer. There is a NICE track(s) located nearby...so it could turn into that. I am not familar with the Keyence line....

Do you have any links for them?
Old 05-30-2004, 01:36 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Well, if you have a few local tracks that have some occasional races, then its better you get a race ready and proven ESC.

You dont wanna waste your money on a low end esc only to purchase another high end esc in another 2 weeks time. Happen to me

I currently dont have the link to Keyence website. but you can try to do a search in here. There is a thread or 2 on Keyence ESC.

Good Luck in your purchase and start enjoying it right now!!!
Old 05-30-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Okie.
Heres the link to Keyence website.

http://www.keyence.co.jp/hobby/english/speed.html
Old 05-30-2004, 01:43 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

wow....that keyence is expensive....more than i can spend. So...that is not an option for now.

What are your other suggestons?

$100 at the most.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:45 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dougnuts55

Get a used cyclone. It is around 50 dollars an dit is awesome.

Doug
Dougnuts55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:46 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Well, you could always consider getting 2nd hand speedos.

Next best thing is maybe getting a novak ESC.

I have no idea about the price nor the performance of it but some ppl swear with the performance of their ESC.

Best bet is to drop down at you LHS and ask around. Budget permits and with some luck, you could get some good deals.

Old 05-30-2004, 01:46 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

who makes the cyclone?
Old 05-30-2004, 01:53 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

ok...found the cyclone...thank you

I found an LRP F1 on ebay for $50.00...so that is good news!

Now..back the car.....what should i buy?

I now have decided that i would like a kit...building it is have the fun...so RTR's are out of the question.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-30-2004, 07:40 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

atlrcracer

if there are tracks near you .. take a trip out to the tracks and see what the majority are running ... then decide on which kit to get .... most manufactures have stripped down basic kits if their high dollar racers ... the racer version of the TC3 from Associated .. the basic XXX-s from the Losi camp ... the Xray T1r from Xray/Hudy ... all are stripped down racers that would do ok as street bashers ... but get what has local parts support ( Assc. and Losi should for sure ) ... and get what the local racers have incase you want to start racing so you will have someone to get setup help from .. you dont want to be a newbie at the track with a car that no one else has .. it makes for long race days and short ones if you break a part and the onsite shop doesnt have it and a very large learning curve for what works and what doesnt on the track .... I personally run Associated products and I have been very happy with them ... I have also run the Losi XXX-S basic plastic car ... I liked the TC3 better so thats what I run .. I have two electric chassis and a nitro NTC3 chassis ... and I love them all ... so that would be MY preference .. but get what the locals are racing and then just have fun with it

have fun racing

E
roddude65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Xray t1r and brushless set up. Excellent for bashing and racing.
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:45 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

vad,

What BL motor and ESC are you running?