R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-29-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing
Default motor shims.....

hy folks...

I always heard that teflon shims are to use against bushings......and metal shims for bearings.......Does it worth??

I recently saw a motor setup from Stephen Sobotka (19T motor), and he said that he ran teflon shims.........

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 04:42 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing
Default Re: motor shims.....

Quote:
Originally posted by SalvadoriRacing
hy folks...

I always heard that teflon shims are to use against bushings......and metal shims for bearings.......Does it worth??

I recently saw a motor setup from Stephen Sobotka (19T motor), and he said that he ran teflon shims.........
I heard Teflon Shims For all types of motors. Teflon makes less friction than metal So the Motor runs better. Metal sims are normally used when shimming parts on a Car etc.
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 05:02 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

thanks.....

so I suppose that teflon shims must be changed because they wear out when we run the motor, correct???

Old 05-29-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

yes teflon washers will reduce friction in any motor that uses bushings instead of bearings. you only need one on each end between the bushing and and the other metal washers you may need to use to get the proper endplay. they wont do you any good in a bearing motor so dont bother. they show the biggest benifits in cars that the motor runs paralell with the wheels like a tc3 because the arm slams into the bushing during acceleration and braking.
as far as replacing them often goes if you buy the name brand ones, they will distort fairly quickly but you can still get several runs out of them. i make and sell what i feel is the best teflon washers avalable. if you want more info on them go to the for sale section and see my post. all the specs and pricing are in the post. i have sold them to several people and so far everyone has been very satisfied.
kvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

so, is there any why I shim my modified motor with teflon shims??

Old 05-29-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
Tech Master

no you dont have to use teflon washers in a bearing motor. of course you still need to shim each end of any motor to properly center the arm in the magnetic feild. to tell if you have it properly centered, install a pinion and spin the motor by hand. then push the shaft to one side. you should have a slight ammount of play. then spin it again and push it the other way looking for the same result.
dont try overshimming the arm on one side to take the arm out of its normal magnetic feild. some people do this because they think it makes the motor run better. the motor will make more rpms because you are actually making a weaker magnetic feild. but you also lose at least as much torque and make friction on the bushing. most people who do this are testing on fantom accelleromoters and they will always favor any change made that makes more rpms.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:52 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

got it!

thanks for the explanation.....

i don't have to shim my motor with teflon washers...but CAN i do it or are metal washers better for mod motors????

Old 05-29-2004, 10:23 PM   #8
Tech Master

yes you can use teflon washers in a bearing motor. but they dont reduce the friction, the bearings carry the load instead. i would reccomend all metal washers in a bearing motor.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:45 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Default Motor Shimming

SalvadoriRacing;

Just make sure you use MOTOR shims (Brass/Teflon).

The Steel shims like used in suspension shimming, will be pulled off the shaft by the magnets as you insert the Arm.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:01 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

yep...i know....

i just would like to know if i get any advantage by shimming my motor (with bearings) with teflon shims.....

Old 06-01-2004, 02:10 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

salavadore racing:nope not really, coz the bearings take the load, there's no friction to reduce since the bearings and the shims dont really produce too much friction.

kvrc: i am interested in those teflon shims, can u send me details, my email ad is [email protected] (there's an underscore between 75 and 2000.) tanx
evaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:58 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i believe in an rc car action interview with jim dieter some time back, he mentioned using teflon shims in the mod motor builds since the bearing to metal/brass shim was a metal-metal connection that caused some motor noise.

in my own experience, i've found the teflon shims in motors with bearings tend to last a bit longer, as the race will give (spin).
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote