R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-30-2004, 10:06 PM   #76
Tech Master

Matched cells ARE out of the question

I do have one matched SMC pack (1.17, 391, 2.6 I-R) I use this one for the mains I don't really notice a difference between it and my best un-matched packs. I did notice my batterys started to "wake-up" when I started charging at 6.5 amps

Otherwise....I have $5 in quarters.....I'm gonna do the bit's with the busing polishing (toothpaste & sandpaper are readily availble) But I can't buy any armatures/batteries until I get a job (probably have to wait another year for that)

Where the hell can you get 1.16's for $30? I can only find them for $40 with 1.15s being $30 only at Kinetix

I don't have hook-ups like you guys....I pay full price for everything that I don't get used.

TC3er...I appriciate your confidence in my SMC GP3300 stickpack re-builds....Accourding to YOU TrueR/C that the best DRIVER will previel......

I seek to get a little better and prove that
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 10:33 PM   #77
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Steve
how do you correctly align the brush hoods on a stock motor?

What do you mean by cutting down the arm? Where do you cut?
I do it how it is stated here.

http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html

I just mean the comm. Some racers deliberately cut the comm alot of times so that there is less copper, thus less rotating mass. You'll see people doing this at big events. Some also cut down two comm's at a time, run the brushes in with one arm and then switch out that arm and drop in the race arm. Since the arm's have comm's of the same size there is no need to kill the finish by breaking in the brushes. Just seat them for a few seconds and they are ready to go.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 10:56 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

also if you dont equalize your cells like on a Rayspeed , Trinity tray, new Novak tray or whichever(.9 cell cutoff; many even deadshort the new batts) right b4 you charge for the first time each day a high voltage pack wont make much of a difference since they are already at different capacities and voltages when charged which isnt a healthy thing for them since you might overcharge a few of the cells in each pack....i know myself and most of the guys i race with have noticed a huge improvement in performance after equalizing
Old 05-30-2004, 11:05 PM   #79
Tech Elite

As far as a BAD motor, unless the arm is in a real mess, the magnets weren't zapped at the factory, or the alignments is WAY off I really doubt it's the motor. I started messing with brushes and springs with a motor I was already happy with, and now it's really starting to put some power down. I bought the motor used(Monster) from a fellow racer for $20, aligned the brushes and kept it in good condition. I'd advise everybody here to (A) get their gearing correct, (B) start messing with the springs and brushes and (C) buy(or have access to) a lathe so you can keep your arm in good shape. My track skill level is average but I really could feel and see the difference. All I've done so far is test 2 brush compounds and different springs and aligned the hoods, I'm sure with time I can get it even faster. ) If you don't see or feel a difference it is probabley due to your driving or your gearing... I think alot of it has to do with effort and patience, very much like chassis tuning.

The Black Kat - Drop the sob stories, I race with matched smc 2400 cells that are a year and a half old. I can still be competative at my local track. The numbers are, 285 seconds, 1.116vlts, 1.533pv, 3.8ir. If your gear isn't the greatest it will make you drive cleaner, faster and smoother to do well, then when you get better equipment you really will feel a difference. As for batt's you can buy gp3300's for $30 at zxracing.com , I remember a while ago when a good 3000 matched pack cost over a hundred dollars. Quit whining and go clean your car.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:14 PM   #80
Tech Master

The only sob story was how my monsters suck balls....

Now I'm just trying to defend my cheap batterys

The windings do look sloppy...and I have refrigorator magnets stronger than the ones in these cans so they ARE duds.... They do poorly on the track & dyno even after alligning the brushes and centering the arm in the magnetic field

Hopefully my dad follows through with his "23,000 RPM good torque" motor he says he'll let me borrow....In that case I'll be doing good this weekend
Old 05-30-2004, 11:59 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

OK Black Kat...i'm trying to be sympathetic for ya here...but what do you want???? If you have no money, tough luck! Save some, do something. There are ways to get money without having a job job. I know I was there only 3 years ago. There are a lot of nice people on this forum and I generally try to be one of them, but seriously, what do you want? Something you need to realize is it is hard to go fast in this hobby/sport without spending money.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 04:22 AM   #82
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
I do it how it is stated here.

http://www.motortuningsecrets.com/tunestockmotor.html

I just mean the comm. Some racers deliberately cut the comm alot of times so that there is less copper, thus less rotating mass. You'll see people doing this at big events. Some also cut down two comm's at a time, run the brushes in with one arm and then switch out that arm and drop in the race arm. Since the arm's have comm's of the same size there is no need to kill the finish by breaking in the brushes. Just seat them for a few seconds and they are ready to go.
Very good guide thanks
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:41 AM   #83

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

This might sound ludicrous, but how about yard work? Cutting lawns? Raking leaves? People hate doing that stuff, if you do it for them, they will pay you. You do it every day and you'll be doing just fine. That 10-20 bucks everytime adds up quickly. 2 yards and you will have a brand new motor or battery pack.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:16 AM   #84
Tech Elite

Lawn care isnt bad...i do it for my job pays great too! It's nice to have one of my sponsored people as my boss too...i can blackmail him into giving me a raise then or he won't be getting any motor work done
Old 05-31-2004, 09:50 AM   #85
Tech Addict

regarding arlucks post about dynoing stocks, SO true. i spent a chunk a few years back for a robi dyno, don't even bother using it anymore. just keep the brushes clean, and the comm smooth, and you'll have enough motor to beat 95% of the competition out there (with good driving/car setup).

as for differences in motors, the only real 'dud' motor i feel i've ever ran was the gm3. had probably a dozen of those things, and threw winds (due to lose wraps) on about 4 of them. anyone remember the 'magic smoke'?

finally on what brian m. said, agree 100%. i too have compassion for kats situation, as i was in a similar one at that age. but there ARE ways of making money without having a j.o.b. (in the legal sense). in 7th/8th grade i was sweeping a bowling alley parking lot with a broom at the crack of dawn before the schoolbus arrived and doing my neighbor's yardwork. by summer of 9th grade, i'd gotten my a position at taco bell for minimum wage. it's out there, just perservere and you'll find it.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:36 AM   #86
Tech Master

Arn't you all lucky....

I live in a mobile home park...100% of the people arn't here don't own their home (ie: Apartment, Condo, Mobile Home) No lawns

Maybe I'll try swapping arms between cans AGAIN for the hell of it and seeing if anything happens

If all else fails can I just send them to one of you guys to check out & see whats wrong?
Old 05-31-2004, 10:55 AM   #87
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesArluck
Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it......

Or better yet, GET A JOB
If some people would quit whining about thier situation,maybe people would be willing to help. Also,if that same person asks for advice, why is it everytime someone gives some, the whiner basically blows them off and tell's them they are wrong.WTF?

A wise friend{also a racer} said r/c is a luxory,not a necessity.If you cant afford the necessities of life, why whine about not being able to afford luxories. If you want to pay for r/c,then find a way to make money.period.People need to quit clogging all the the threads on several message boards with thier sob story and excuses why parents wont pay for thier toys and how they are too young get a job.Suggestions have been made.If they cant take the hint,then quit racing until you can afford it.Very simple.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:57 AM   #88
Tech Elite

Black Kat im game...send it here ill see what i can do with it
Old 05-31-2004, 11:00 AM   #89
Tech Master

Do you really want to see me stoned or trying to play sports?
Its not that my parents don't just support my racing...THEY DON'T SUPPORT ANYTHING I DO

I think its BS that the one with no money is always the one shafted out what little they had by some large cororpation who doesn't give a f*k (Trinity)

ANYWAY....I know you guys do more to your motors than whats on motortuningsecrets.com....SPILL IT please....Anything else I can do?
Old 05-31-2004, 11:03 AM   #90
Tech Elite

ok nevermind then