R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2004, 05:38 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to BuddyB

From my experiences i have turned a 20,000, 57 power on a fantom dyno into a 22,500, 62 power just by giving it some TLC and taking my time messing with it.
Buddy B
BuddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:53 PM   #32
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

For some who dont access to a lathe or skill tuning motors, how could they ever know if they could turn an otherwise "dud" motor into a screamer.I had bought 5 monster from a motor company that dumps thier "duds" on the Ebay.After some tweaking,the motors where both used to get me into the A at my last Roar regional on carpet in both 12th scale and Sedan.Both motors were ballistic.Still excellent club racing motors also. Just took a little massaging.

Some people want others to feel and think the way they do.Some here feel Monsters are horrible stock motors that magnets fall out and comms burn up.I guess the thousands of others that love this motor and know what to do with them are wrong. Same with some people that think oneways suck....Oh boy,I better stop now.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

i think the best ive had was 24,500 rpm .110 torque er something like that on my Fantom...the power number on my dyno is eight or so lower then trinitys and it read 61.5...that was ROAR legal...if you wanna talk illegal now i got a much higher one then that but never use it
Old 05-28-2004, 06:42 PM   #34
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default tuning your own

I guess thats the best thing to do, might give it a try and see how i go. Any one know where i can find a good guide on motor preperation and tuning?

You see ppl get confused with all the fuss, if they weren't braggin that it does magic etc.. then less experienced guys wont get muddled up with all the variety of the same motors in the market.
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:57 PM   #35
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by racenut123
For some who dont access to a lathe or skill tuning motors, how could they ever know if they could turn an otherwise "dud" motor into a screamer.I had bought 5 monster from a motor company that dumps thier "duds" on the Ebay.After some tweaking,the motors where both used to get me into the A at my last Roar regional on carpet in both 12th scale and Sedan.Both motors were ballistic.Still excellent club racing motors also. Just took a little massaging.

Some people want others to feel and think the way they do.Some here feel Monsters are horrible stock motors that magnets fall out and comms burn up.I guess the thousands of others that love this motor and know what to do with them are wrong. Same with some people that think oneways suck....Oh boy,I better stop now.
Hicks, I DO have acess to a lathe & have read many articles about tuning these things....I recently rebuilt my monster with some 767's and while it sounded louded THE RPM WENT FROM 21,900 to 20,300...WTF? I thought tuning would make it better. From these dyno readouts AND track experience I stand by what I say "once a dud, always a dud"....until someone can get my peticular motor to turn a decent 22,500 @ 60W I stand by my opinion.

And I think your a bit biased about the one-way issue too...You act like you'd die if one-ways were banned from competition. I admit I'm biased but if you'd keep it shut if I tell someone I don't like the one-way maybe I wouldn't be so harsh

Last edited by The Black Kat; 05-28-2004 at 07:04 PM.
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:06 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Black Kat ill sell you a screamer...but i only sell Monster stocks
Old 05-28-2004, 07:08 PM   #37
Tech Master

I'll give you $8 in quarters for it

I'm not trying to say all Monster's suck...but mine do and if you do go with a Monster this is what could happen & I already wasted my money...
Old 05-28-2004, 07:10 PM   #38
Tech Elite

umm your a few quarters short buddy...save up 120 more quarters andyou got yourself a deal and ill pay shipping....
Old 05-28-2004, 07:12 PM   #39
Tech Master

Thats a lot of quarters......
Old 05-28-2004, 07:15 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
Hicks, I DO have acess to a lathe & have read many articles about tuning these things....I recently rebuilt my monster with some 767's and while it sounded louded THE RPM WENT FROM 21,900 to 20,300...WTF? I thought tuning would make it better. From these dyno readouts AND track experience I stand by what I say "once a dud, always a dud"....until someone can get my peticular motor to turn a decent 22,500 @ 60W I stand by my opinion.

And I think your a bit biased about the one-way issue too...You act like you'd die if one-ways were banned from competition. I admit I'm biased but if you'd keep it shut if I tell someone I don't like the one-way maybe I wouldn't be so harsh
If you ever see me at a race give me your "dud" motor and i'll do my best to make it fast.

BTW, the best monster I have (TQ in sedan at the California carpet champs and TQ and first in 12th scale northwest carpet champs) is one that someone else gave me because he overheated it and thought it was too slow. What dyno numbers does it pull? I don't know, and don't need to concern myself with it.

-James
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:15 PM   #41
Tech Elite

3000 pennies more then?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesArluck
If you ever see me at a race give me your "dud" motor and i'll do my best to make it fast.

BTW, the best monster I have (TQ in sedan at the California carpet champs and TQ and first in 12th scale northwest carpet champs) is one that someone else gave me because he overheated it and thought it was too slow. What dyno numbers does it pull? I don't know, and don't need to concern myself with it.

-James
Heh, Interesting...

Lets hope if it pulls really bad numbers it gets a load of torque

Could it have anything to do with batteries? I use un-matched GP3300's chargeded @6.5A (lot of the locals like 8.5 for stock)
Old 05-28-2004, 07:32 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JamesArluck

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
Heh, Interesting...

Lets hope if it pulls really bad numbers it gets a load of torque

Could it have anything to do with batteries? I use un-matched GP3300's chargeded @6.5A (lot of the locals like 8.5 for stock)
I charge at 6.0A so I don't think so. To echo what others are saying, going fast in stock has a lot more with your setup and how you drive than how many amps you charge at or how many watts your motor puts out.

-James
JamesArluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:02 PM   #44
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

what up james,

i have learned to use the ignore user function on this forum.works great.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:04 PM   #45
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Quote:
Originally posted by racenut123
what up james,

i have learned to use the ignore user function on this forum.works great.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote