R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2004, 05:35 AM   #16
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Since Birdman stock motors retail for more than $40 dollars, are they legal as I thought the legal limit was $40 dollars?
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:39 AM   #17

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

The Fukuyama Mako motor is very good. Dan is the man when it comes to customer service and getting the job done. He has been testing these for awhile and they are rippin. You should also consider team 1 racing motors. They include a dyno printout weith each motor and are ready to go from the bag.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:40 AM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hardening the comm??? Not sure what that would really do, not to mention its borderline illegal to modifiy the comm other than cutting it on a stock motor. (I don't see ANYTHING on his site about this).

As for the pricing, while the rule book says $40 maximum, they can really only enforce that on the big three motor companies (trinity, reedy, orion/peak)....its impossible to enforce it on the small after market tuners. The only way to really tell a trinity, paradigm, axiom, etc monster stock apart is the sticker....remove the sticker and they would never know.

Later EddieO
Old 05-28-2004, 02:09 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Stock is stock is stock......no matter which way you turn them...it is still stock.....now it all depends on what you do with it.....you get a "reference" numbers from the motor before you do anything to it. Use dyno if you have one, or any motor checker around. Then use different brush/spring combo, polish bushing, align hoods until you get "better" numbers than your reference numbers. But ALWAYS....the way it perform on the track is the only way to tell. Save your money. Good Luck
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:50 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The owner of our local track is a former AE factory driver. He pulled a Paradox handout motor out of his pit box, dug the e-clips out of it, cut the com, put in new brushes and TQ'd ahead of some of the fastest FL drivers running the latest stuff (Monster Stock).

Jeepnyy is right...they are all the same. Some are good and some are duds. FYI, everyone buys brushes and springs from the same places so in the end they are all the same.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:55 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
FYI, everyone buys brushes and springs from the same places so in the end they are all the same.
Your 100% right But, Some companies Tweak there Springs different than others and sometimes Brushes
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:24 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah, there are some guys that have all sorts of brews they soak brushes in, cook them in ovens, send them out for cryo treatments, rub ear wax into them...whatever.

All I know is that a better driver with a totally crap motor always wins. We used to have a Turkey Shoot Carpet race every year at Minnreg (Home of 1999 and 2000 ROAR Carpet Nats). This race was the one rave per year that all the Mod Sedan guys would run stock just for fun.

They (JR Mitch, Paul Wynn, Dave Vera Jared Scott, Jason Ruona) had a tradition where they would not buy stock motors but borrow whatever junk motors the locals wanted to let them use. They used original Green Machines, original Midnights against the best rebuildable and every year they spanked all the top Stock racers. Like Xray's Alex Lopez, AE's Kevin Mitchell and tons of other non famous but even faster locals.

Racing stock is 80% driver, 10% Car and 10% motor.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:30 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM

Racing stock is 80% driver, 10% Car and 10% motor.
I think more like 70% driver, 20% Tires, 5%car, 5%motor. If you don't have a good set of tires Your not going to keep up with the New out of package tires. (Asphalt)

But anyways yea a Good Driver Will always be good No matter what equipment he has.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:59 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Great comments !! Glad to see we're a more educated bunch of buyers than most companies think.
You know.....you could solve this problem you're having by simply going brushless !!! Then immediately contact your ROAR regional director and tell him to get cracking on getting a ROAR brushless class going.
Just thought I'd add some drama to the conversation..... but it is true !!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:06 PM   #25
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by True R/C Racing
I think more like 70% driver, 20% Tires, 5%car, 5%motor. If you don't have a good set of tires Your not going to keep up with the New out of package tires. (Asphalt)

But anyways yea a Good Driver Will always be good No matter what equipment he has.
IMO = Stock is 15% Tires, 10% Car, 30% Motor, 55% Driver

I think a real drivers class is 19t Need both smoothness and reflexes
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:09 PM   #26
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
IMO = Stock is 15% Tires, 10% Car, 30% Motor, 55% Driver

110% eh? I guess stock racing is better than 19t.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:11 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
A Real Drivers class is Stock And Mod.
Stock is one of the hardest Classes Since its over populated and Motors run about equal. Mod is another hard one since its where all the Real "Pros" drive At

my .02 cent
Old 05-28-2004, 05:32 PM   #28
Tech Master

no....FYI 19t is 150% and Mod is 175%

I'd rather look on the other side of the drivers stand and see Mike Blackstock or Chris Tossolini than Alex Lopez

I need the better motor....Compliments my style better

I just run stock to see if I can prove to the locals I can run stock 1/2 decently
Old 05-28-2004, 05:34 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to BuddyB

It does'nt matter what motor you buy, they are almost all from the same manufacturer, atleast for all of the monsters. I just buy the cheapest one, and do my own tuning to it, getting a lousy motor will teach you how to make it better.
Buddy B
BuddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:36 PM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by BuddyB
It does'nt matter what motor you buy, they are almost all from the same manufacturer, atleast for all of the monsters. I just buy the cheapest one, and do my own tuning to it, getting a lousy motor will teach you how to make it better.
Buddy B
So far I dissagree

From my experiences, A dud-monster is a dud-monster & all you can do is run the thing until the magnets fall out & the armature frys itself