R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mabuchi540
Touchy touchy. But anyway name one hi end electric off road kit that doesn't come with tyres eh. I had Yokomo, Losi, Associated back in the day and from what I've seen they still come with tyres and so it should be in on-road.
Off road and on road are completely different. A factory team B4 will come with a set of M3 compound Holeshot rear tires, which as the saying goes "holeshots are the second fastest tire everywhere", meaning that at just about ANY track they'll hook up at least enough to get you 85% of what you'd get if you had the perfect tires for that track. On road rubber and foam tires are COMPLETELY diffferent.

I've got a set of HPI rubbers that came with an old HPI kit and for kicks I put them on at my carpet track just to see how they'd do since they felt pretty sticky. They were at MINIMUM 5 seconds a LAP off any foam tire I've ever tried. I also race off road truck and buggy, at my indoor track I've been running Holeshots and have been able to win or at least top 3 every single race I've ran there. Yesterday I tried Losi Taper pins and shaved about 4 seconds off my TOTAL race time, which allowed me to TQ and win stadium truck.

That is why high end on road cars don't come with tires while high end off road cars do.
psbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:40 PM   #47
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Again true....

Quote:
Originally posted by rcsabah
if u are the owner will u produced thousand of kit to suit each group where those group are very very minority or only for u

better produce kit that suit 99% of the market that 1% like u eat your self
Well that's what I get for off-roading in the late 80's and early 90's I guess here in NZ for example even in the 90's a Yokomo off-road would set you back $600 Nz and purchase wouldn't even be considered with out a good set of rubber.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:43 PM   #48
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by psbarger
Off road and on road are completely different. A factory team B4 will come with a set of M3 compound Holeshot rear tires, which as the saying goes "holeshots are the second fastest tire everywhere", meaning that at just about ANY track they'll hook up at least enough to get you 85% of what you'd get if you had the perfect tires for that track. On road rubber and foam tires are COMPLETELY diffferent.

I've got a set of HPI rubbers that came with an old HPI kit and for kicks I put them on at my carpet track just to see how they'd do since they felt pretty sticky. They were at MINIMUM 5 seconds a LAP off any foam tire I've ever tried. I also race off road truck and buggy, at my indoor track I've been running Holeshots and have been able to win or at least top 3 every single race I've ran there. Yesterday I tried Losi Taper pins and shaved about 4 seconds off my TOTAL race time, which allowed me to TQ and win stadium truck.

That is why high end on road cars don't come with tires while high end off road cars do.
The short answer is basically...Holy crap THAT much of a difference.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:05 PM   #49
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

Quote:
Well put it this way without tyres it is not a complete kit to me and I'll not spend that sort of money on a kit with bits missing.
Then you'll end up buying anything but a top of the line car kit because NONE does includes tyres and they're absolutely right to do that IMO. Example : some guys said he wouldn't be happy to find rubber tires because he only runs FOAMS. Well I wouldn't be happy to find FOAMS in my kit because I'm never gonna use them.

Think about it this way : most car manufacturers DON'T produce tyres so why should they include something they do not produce, or that the final user will not use anyway ? After all you're talking about top notch cars, and in competition the tires are one of the most important factor to consider, so the driver will always want to have his own choice.

Hey, I got a bad news for you : the bodyshell is not included either
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:07 PM   #50
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well the RC world has changed in the many years you were out of the sport. You cant expect the RC manufactors to cater to what a couple of people seem to think is right ... most people think like I do... I dont want tires or a body when I buy a touring car kit... I would just end up giving them away or have them taking up space in my basement.
Most manufactors now offer what you seem to want... they call the RTR or ready to run!

Last edited by ottoman; 06-06-2004 at 04:13 PM.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #51
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I'd rather not pay for tires I will never use.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:38 PM   #52
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
I'd rather not pay for tires I will never use.
Me neither but I'm not talking about competition tyres just something suitable to run it up and down the driveway when setting the transmitter sort of thing. Sure I'd buy good tyres but I wouldn't use them for set up. I'm lead to believe that kit losi tyres are good for this sort of thing but not racing...anyway I'm sure you get the idea.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 06-06-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:41 PM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Super Steve

Man...
I am so pissed off, my PRO4 didn't come with a 8turn motor, a speed control, or 3 packs of matched GP3300

J/k...
They are right, rc comsumers don't live in the same temerapture zone. some tires would be useless to some but are gold to others. Why would people want to have useless tires? You are not gonna run your pro-car "outside" (well, most won't, i don't mind) And they would be useless for practicing. If you practice with the wrong tires, you won't be getting better any time soon.

my 2cents
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 03:21 PM   #54
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

Quote:
Me neither but I'm not talking about competition tyres just something suitable to run it up and down the driveway when setting the transmitter sort of thing. Sure I'd buy good tyres but I wouldn't uses them for set up. I'm lead to believe that kit losi tyres are good for this sort of thing but not racing...anyway I'm sure you get the idea.
I set my transmitter on my pit table, and then on the track for the steering trims (which are never far off if you're careful). Hell I wouldn't use my car on the driveway !
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 03:28 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

Quote:
Touchy touchy. But anyway name one hi end electric off road kit that doesn't come with tyres eh. I had Yokomo, Losi, Associated back in the day and from what I've seen they still come with tyres and so it should be in on-road.
one high end kit that doesnt come with tires? FT TC3 and Alex Racing Barracuda for starters
Old 06-06-2004, 03:30 PM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by R/C Anonymous
one high end kit that doesnt come with tires? FT TC3 and Alex Racing Barracuda for starters
That's hi end Off Road. :P
Old 06-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hehehe...electric off-road too..as there are a lot of high end nitro kits that don't come with rubber...

It's your money...it sounds like you had it down to the Xray and somethign else and are choosing to go the direction of the other kit because of the tires?

What kit are you choosing?
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 03:45 PM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

if u want a set of tires with it buy a sport kit... a kit that doesnt come with tires is usually a full blown competitive race car...
meaning if u are buying this kit it is for racing and not playing...

also meaning u need a particular set of tires and inserts, so why bother giving you a set u wont use... would u rather have the kit cost 20 bucks more??? or save that 20 bucks and get some tires u can use... everything they add in a kit = more money
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 03:48 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Guys...I think the point that he was tryign to make was that he put together 2 possibilities for kits...
and at the end it came down to one or the other..
and he used the tires as a deciding factor...

I personally don't agree with his initial argument that tires MUST be included..but if used as a tie-breaker I see no problem with it...
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 04:01 PM   #60
Tech Master

yes that would piss me off

what kit did you buy?
FW-05RR is offline   Reply With Quote