R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2004, 12:23 PM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by psbarger
If you can spend $300 on a high level kit you can spend $20-40 on the RIGHT tires for your track. My X-Ray FK didn't come with tires, and it didn't matter in the slightest to me. I run on carpet, so if the kit came with rubber tires it would have wasted my money because I'd never use them and still had to pay for them.

If you want a kit to bash with why would you pay the premium for a high end kit designed to race with?
I wish it was $300 but in NZ $700 ($749 to be exact) is a LOT of money to spend on one kit and not get tyres dude and the last thing I want to do is bash it.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:25 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Mabuchi540
Exactly why I crossed the Xray factory kit off the list. If I'm spending $700 Nz dollars on one car kit it better have tires, no tires no Xray.
If you spend that amount of money, you better make sure it's a ready to run. Otherwise you are in the wrong hobby. Tires and body are all subject to change and replacement, but the car isn't. psbarger is right, if you spend that amount of money, don't be cheap and get the tires for your track and racing level.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:28 PM   #18
Tech Adept

You might have only joined a few weeks ago, but you sure do post enough to at least know some of the featues on this site. (14+ each day!!!)

Anyway, I agree and disagree. It would be nice to get the car rolling right away. However, you could buy tires when you buy the kit and still get it going right away and those tires could be better suited to the conditions you are running on, so in the end, it's probably just as good that they do not give you tires.

Last edited by aviaar; 06-06-2004 at 12:34 PM.
aviaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Rabara
If you spend that amount of money, you better make sure it's a ready to run. Otherwise you are in the wrong hobby. Tires and body are all subject to change and replacement, but the car isn't. psbarger is right, if you spend that amount of money, don't be cheap and get the tires for your track and racing level.
That as maybe but when $700 is $200 more than it's nearest rival and the shop guy wouldn't include a set (suited to the local track) for cash I go else where I'm afraid.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:31 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I wish it was $300 but in NZ $700 ($749 to be exact) is a LOT of money to spend on one kit and not get tyres dude and the last thing I want to do is bash it.
You're in the wrong hobby. I'd take up model airplanes if i were you.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:34 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

1) if you are new u should not buy a pro kit, u should started with rtr or sport kit they come everything u need and that why they hv rtr, sport or pro kit.

2) for pro racer, for sure 101% of them will not used the kit tyre since we all (pro's) knows that those are useless for either practise or racing. and the most important is that we don't want paying higher/extra price for a useless item in the kit, better take them off from the tag

3) every hobbies are expensive, u won't expectif u buy a golf set come wit a golf ball, a new car come wit full tank of petrol, a new house come wit furniture or etc.

4) paying
a) Nz$700 kit w/o tire
b) Nz$750 kit with tire or
c) Nz$700 kit w/o tire plus Nz$50 set of selectable choice tyre
which one? you choose.

those ppl are not stupid they won't removed the tyre b'cos saving cost. they don't include it, it's to reduced the selling price marketing. marketing.
rcsabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:37 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ACtually it does sound kind of odd..to put that much time and effort into researchign which kit will yield the ultimate performance..only to let something as minor as a consumable(tires) help determine the outcome...

Tires are part of the everyday operating cost of racing...they get used up..just like nitro fuel...

Tires cost needs to be factored into the equation of how much you want to spend..and if adding tires to the Xray kit pushes you out of budget..then so be it...but you should probably be buying several sets ofo tires regardless of which kit you purchase. Make sure you talk to someone first though to determine the proper compounds for the track(s) you'll be racing.
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:39 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

if your LHS charged too high or doesn't give the right information like what u need and what the best for u then find a better shop. this doen't meant the product is not good
Old 06-06-2004, 12:39 PM   #24
Tech Master

Ok ok so I'm a tight arse when it comes to money but in the same light I wouldn't buy a washing machine unless they included at least one packet of washing powder or if it was a real car one tank of gas when I drive it away.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:41 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

washing machine wit washing powder what about power and water?
Old 06-06-2004, 12:42 PM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Windsorguy99
ACtually it does sound kind of odd..to put that much time and effort into researchign which kit will yield the ultimate performance..only to let something as minor as a consumable(tires) help determine the outcome...

Tires are part of the everyday operating cost of racing...they get used up..just like nitro fuel...

Tires cost needs to be factored into the equation of how much you want to spend..and if adding tires to the Xray kit pushes you out of budget..then so be it...but you should probably be buying several sets ofo tires regardless of which kit you purchase. Make sure you talk to someone first though to determine the proper compounds for the track(s) you'll be racing.
I'll not argue with any of that but to help make up my mind I had to have a deciding factor and that was it basically. "Could I get it rolling out of the box".
Old 06-06-2004, 12:49 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

yes, RTR ready to run
Old 06-06-2004, 12:51 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I'll not argue with any of that but to help make up my mind I had to have a deciding factor and that was it basically. "Could I get it rolling out of the box".
When you order the kit, order a set of tires with it. There you go, you have everything you need. Why would you let a set of tires ruin your decision towards one car or another?
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by rcsabah
yes, RTR ready to run
Oh I certainly would have considered that if I didn't already have a set of novak running gear and transmitter etc etc.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:53 PM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
When you order the kit, order a set of tires with it. There you go, you have everything you need. Why would you let a set of tires ruin your decision towards one car or another?
Well put it this way without tyres it is not a complete kit to me and I'll not spend that sort of money on a kit with bits missing.