Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
LOOKING FOR A NEW DRIFT CAR.... >

LOOKING FOR A NEW DRIFT CAR....

LOOKING FOR A NEW DRIFT CAR....

Old 05-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation LOOKING FOR A NEW DRIFT CAR....

Hey guys I've been bitten by the drift bug and I want to go on and get a good electric car that has the best layout (suspension,motor position and chassis). I've been looking at yokomo and tamiya. I want the bodys to fit the car without extra trimming to make work. Anyone who has either of these let me know your likes and dislikes. Im about to finish my first drift body and I know I want more detail in the next one. Yokomo looks good but so do tamiya. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im not sure what you are defining as extra trimming, but the drift guys like to have really low tolerances. What I mean by that is that they hate to have beg gaps between the wheel and the edge fo the fender. It should sit nice and low and the width should be matched up with the body.

You will get way better answers about drifting if you go here.
http://www.groovydrift.com
Old 05-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey snoopy if I could load pictures or figure out how to send'em from my phone I would show you my hpi provo subie!!!!! I cut the body kit off below the doors and some of the chin spoiler and talk about tucking....it tucks rim lip in the front and cambered in the back it tucks like none I've seen. I've been on the gd site since I started this body and no subie tucks as hard from what I've seen. But mad props to some of those guys cars I mean the detail in some is just insane to see... I need to find the vip code on their screen so I can become a member...any ideas....
Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

9876 its the number at the bottom of the opening page right in the middle. Its only there to keep bots from spamming the forum. That should allow you to register with them.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

snoop just to let you know your link dont work that you got in ur sign
Old 07-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

My friends are the Hyperdrift guys found on You Tube and their own site. Both Yokomo & Tamiya make good cars for drifting. The Yokomo has more drift oriented hopups but some can be modded to fit some Tamiyas. In particular, the Yokomo FCD rear diffs can be made to fit the TB03, EVO IV, and EVO 5 for countersteer drifting which is popular, now. My TB03R is in the TB03 thread and has been modded to fit the Yokomo FCD (no pics of the mod, though.). The only other concerns I would have is parts availability in your area. Over in Hawaii, Tamiya is a little easier and cheaper to get so that's what the majority of the drifters run. However, most of the cars that are setup for countersteer in the Hyper vids are HPI Sprint 2 with modded rear ends. I think there is a TRF 416, TA04, & Cyclone that are setup for countersteer, too. Belt drives are easier to mod for countersteer due to just finding the right pulleys and belts.

Last edited by wrxnfx; 07-09-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by texas basher
Hey guys I've been bitten by the drift bug and I want to go on and get a good electric car that has the best layout (suspension,motor position and chassis). I've been looking at yokomo and tamiya. I want the bodys to fit the car without extra trimming to make work. Anyone who has either of these let me know your likes and dislikes. Im about to finish my first drift body and I know I want more detail in the next one. Yokomo looks good but so do tamiya. Thanks in advance.
Both Yokomo and Tamiya make great chassis' to drift with. I would suggest avoiding cars like the Sprint. Because all the weight is in the back of the car makes the car whip around in transitions. Try to get something that is more balanced such as a TA05 or Cyclone.

If you feel like spending a lot of $$$ for a top of the line drifter, check out this site: http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.c...ex&cPath=91_99

You don't need one of those to successfully drift, the front motor chassis just make it easier.

For the bodies, any on road 190 or 200mm body will fit a drift chassis. All you need to do is get the correct off set wheel. 190 is usually 0-3mm and 200mm is 6-7mm for front and 8-10mm for the rear.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TecNyne
Both Yokomo and Tamiya make great chassis' to drift with. I would suggest avoiding cars like the Sprint. Because all the weight is in the back of the car makes the car whip around in transitions. Try to get something that is more balanced such as a TA05 or Cyclone.

If you feel like spending a lot of $$$ for a top of the line drifter, check out this site: http://www.rc-race-and-drift-japan.c...ex&cPath=91_99

You don't need one of those to successfully drift, the front motor chassis just make it easier.

For the bodies, any on road 190 or 200mm body will fit a drift chassis. All you need to do is get the correct off set wheel. 190 is usually 0-3mm and 200mm is 6-7mm for front and 8-10mm for the rear.
That's some cool stuff on that link!!! Back in the day, I would buy stuff like that in a heartbeat because it's so different. Before you buy, you might want to search some of the r/c drift sites and see what guys have to say and what kinds of mods are out there.

Here's the link to my friends' site. My EVO 5 has some cameo appearances, but I'm not nearly as good as them and my body is not as nice as their's.

http://www.hyperdrift.com/main/