R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-27-2004, 03:43 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray
Angry CA Glue

Is there anything else i can use BESIDES CA Glue? I hate CA Glue it gets on my fingers and all over, it can become a big mess. Is there something else that can do the job? Super Glue? Krazy Glue? now i gotta get this Sh** off my hands, it also starts to burn your eyes if you look at it.
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Super Glue and Krazy glue are just the fancy names for CA. Keep some acetone or nail polish remover on hand for clean up. Remember to use it in a well ventilated area and use it sparingly. A little goes a long way.

Last edited by Headbanger; 05-27-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:38 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing
Default Re: CA Glue

Quote:
Originally posted by JDXray
Is there anything else i can use BESIDES CA Glue? I hate CA Glue it gets on my fingers and all over, it can become a big mess. Is there something else that can do the job? Super Glue? Krazy Glue? now i gotta get this Sh** off my hands, it also starts to burn your eyes if you look at it.
LOL. use a Q-Tip man, No more need for that sh*t get on your hands.
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:39 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

How about some latex gloves?
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:39 PM   #5
Tech Addict

get the losi ca glue it comes with a tube that u cut up and put into the opening its a lot easier and less mess
craziracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:58 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Using latex gloves is a good idea but remember the only thing it will prevent is the ca from sticking to your skin. It will stick to the latex and whatever else the latex happens to touch which isn't hard to do if the latex glove doesn't fit well.

That's why in our hospital we switched to a not quite a gel but a higher viscosity CA for glueing cuts. The liquid CA has a great deal of capiliary action and tends to run where it finds room to (incidentally making it an ideal gap filler).

Try using a fan near by to blow the fumes and don't get too close!
Qranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:42 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dynamite

but the fumes are all part of the fun lol!

get some acetone - aka nail polish remover witout the girly purfume added and you get 1 litre for the same price as a pitsy 50ml bottle... most good hardware/handyman stores should sell this - or even a paint supplier.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:43 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Qranc
That's why in our hospital we switched to a not quite a gel but a higher viscosity CA for glueing cuts. The liquid CA has a great deal of capiliary action and tends to run where it finds room to (incidentally making it an ideal gap filler).

Try using a fan near by to blow the fumes and don't get too close!
YOu use super glue to close cuts? as in wounds? First time I heard of that. I've seen the surgical staples but this is the first time I heard of glues.

just wondering, isn't CA toxic? the fumes burn the eyes if you're not careful..
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:07 AM   #9
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rough512
YOu use super glue to close cuts? as in wounds? First time I heard of that. I've seen the surgical staples but this is the first time I heard of glues.
If you ever wondered why CA works so great sticking your skin together... there's one obvious fact - IT WAS DESIGNED FOR IT!!

If you bothered researching it, you'll find that CA was originally designed as a replacement for surgical sutures in the 1970s. First saw active usage in the Vietnam War.

Used correctly CA is very effective for closing skin to skin wounds. You need to know its design properties and it will do a fantastic job. eg it sets fastest in moist environments (breathe on it to accelerate curing) and the bond is strongest perpendicular to the join interface (glued 2 fingers together? don't try yanking them apart, you'll rip the skin off).

Naturally it is non-toxic and is totally bio-compatible - it will not poison you. Hospitals use CA on a daily basis especially for kiddies; what they use is more expensive only because it is supplied in sterile packaging. And heck, anything sold by medical suppliers are always marked-up majorly.

(lest anyone suspects I don't have a life -I don't- I wrote a uni paper on adhesives for industrial design)
www.MelbRC.org
----------------
WC is offline   Reply With Quote