R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #3136
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. Is there anything I absolutley need to buy for it, or is everything that comes in the kit all I need. I heard people saying the stock dog bones were junk and they were using the Xray ECS drive shafts. Any truth to that?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #3137
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobiwan View Post
Thanks for the quick replies fellas. Is there anything I absolutley need to buy for it, or is everything that comes in the kit all I need. I heard people saying the stock dog bones were junk and they were using the Xray ECS drive shafts. Any truth to that?
Not at all, the stock bones are fine. They do have some chatter to them at full lock, but it is not hampering. @ the ROAR Region 2 race, all the team guys had the stock CVA's

There are some things that are nice to have for fine tuning (Reflex parts, gear diffs, etc), but the kit setup will be very fast for anyone.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #3138
Tech Regular

Thanks alot guys. I think I might get one and try it out. I need a car to run now anyway and if I decide to go back to Xray I wouldn't get one now anyway because they will probably come out with the new one before too long. So this way ill have one until it comes out. They usually have been releasing them after the carpet season starts so this way ill have something to run and see if it works for me.
what did you mean by reflex parts? Also what gear diff are people running? Part number would help also. Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #3139
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks alot guys. I think I might get one and try it out. I need a car to run now anyway and if I decide to go back to Xray I wouldn't get one now anyway because they will probably come out with the new one before too long. So this way ill have one until it comes out. They usually have been releasing them after the carpet season starts so this way ill have something to run and see if it works for me.
what did you mean by reflex parts? Also what gear diff are people running? Part number would help also. Thanks again.
Reflex is an aftermarket company that makes springs, pistons and such. People are modifying the yokomo gear diffs to fit in there cars, Associated is currently in production of there own diff. I personally do not use ether and my stuff is always on par and my car is box stock pretty much.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #3140
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Reflex Stuff. The springs fill in the gaps in the AE lineup, and the pistons are the "Hebert" pistons, just pre molded instead of having to drill your own. The bulkhead caps provide a vertical ballstud option which let you fine tune the inner camber link location more finely than the stock tower allows. Like I said, great stuff for fine tuning, not 100% necessary for going fast, but if you like tuning, then they are excellent

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #3141
Suspended
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc661 View Post
Reflex is an aftermarket company that makes springs, pistons and such. People are modifying the yokomo gear diffs to fit in there cars, Associated is currently in production of there own diff. I personally do not use ether and my stuff is always on par and my car is box stock pretty much.
The ball diff works well... but if you run a high hp motor (13.5 and lower) it's nice to modify a gear diff to fit in. Rebuilds are constant with the ball diff + mod motor... not a fun raceday.

But it can be plenty competitive without the gear diff mod.
StickyFingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #3142
Tech Regular

You guys have been really great. Don't mean to wear out my welcome or anything, but can someone provide part numbers for the gear diff and the bulk head caps that give me finer camber adjustment and the best place to buy.
Also what spur(tooth/pitch) comes with the kit. What size do people recomend to give me the best range of roll adjustment with out having to change spurs. Ill probably be running stock touring with no boost. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #3143
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jonesy112

Im not sure what the numbers for the gear diff or other parts are, as I dont run those.

It comes with an 87t 48p spur. I am running the 100 or 104 X-ray spurs (i find they fit nicely on there and provide room to get the second motor mount screw in)

An easy substitute for teh Hebert pistons are the losi 56, i have them in both my stock and mod cars. For a stock 17.5 no boost, a FDR of around 4.0 is a great starting point (im running a d3 at max motor timing). So a 100/50 will get you a good place to start

RC America - X-Ray - Team EA Motorsports - RockStar Paint - Apex RC Proshop - ProOne Tires
Jonesy112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #3144
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Sold all your cars? The guys at the Gate were wondering where you have been. Seaball has been depressed for months.

I finally moved from the Phi to a TC6. Everything good so far and the car has proven really durable after being bounced around by me for the past three months, moreso than the Phi. I remember your T3 '11 with the gear diffs. Not sure the finish is quite as nice on the Associated but it isn't quite in the same price point either. As far as a race car I couldn't imagine anything out there being noticeably better out of the box. I think you mentioned having a Phi so while not a direct comparison to the x-ray perhaps a few logical steps might give you some insight. Good luck and hope to see you around. Halloween Classic and Indoor Champs are around the corner....
Yeah, I haven't raced since January. I guess I got burned out. I was debating whether I was going to quit or not. Still debating really. I was thinking of what other hobby I could get into but couldn't come up with anything. So I figured I would try a different car and another class as well. Im going to try WGT this season. (Anyone out there recomend a good WGT car?) I heard The Gate is open this summer, is this true? Ill have to make a run out there.

Last edited by kobiwan; 07-06-2011 at 10:09 PM.
kobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 AM   #3145
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hey guys just got my Yokomo geardiffs in and put 700 wt in one for the rear. What should i be running for oil in the front? This is 17.5 no boost on a low-med grip outdoor/ asphalt track.

Thanks guys

JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:05 AM   #3146
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Hey guys just got my Yokomo geardiffs in and put 700 wt in one for the rear. What should i be running for oil in the front? This is 17.5 no boost on a low-med grip outdoor/ asphalt track.

Thanks guys

JB
Stock slipper/spool and ball diff
Big Features is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:45 AM   #3147
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post

Thanks guys

JB
I used 500k for two weekends and liked it but last weekend I tried the racers edge diff lock putty and the car felt great. You get the same pull out of the corner as a spool but more entry steering and a smoother overall feel. It's not any faster, my lap times were always the same but the car was easier to drive.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #3148
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah, I haven't raced since January. I guess I got burned out. I was debating whether I was going to quit or not. Still debating really. I was thinking of what other hobby I could get into but couldn't come up with anything. So I figured I would try a different car and another class as well. Im going to try WGT this season. (Anyone out there recomend a good WGT car?) I heard The Gate is open this summer, is this true? Ill have to make a run out there.
Yes, the Gate is open this summer and under new management. The website is Norcarracing.com and the schedule is current. We have a couple road races coming up on July 23rd and Aug 5th. Almost all the guys out here are running CRC for 1/12th and WGT. Of the bunch those seem the most planted and closest to being raceable out of the box.

My TC6 came with a 48p spur. I changed out to a 64p 100 tooth kimbrough and am running 17.5 with no timing in the esc. The TC6 has multiple motor mount holes so you don't have to get a spur with the large access holes drilled in it.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #3149
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Yes, the Gate is open this summer and under new management. The website is Norcarracing.com and the schedule is current. We have a couple road races coming up on July 23rd and Aug 5th. Almost all the guys out here are running CRC for 1/12th and WGT. Of the bunch those seem the most planted and closest to being raceable out of the box.

My TC6 came with a 48p spur. I changed out to a 64p 100 tooth kimbrough and am running 17.5 with no timing in the esc. The TC6 has multiple motor mount holes so you don't have to get a spur with the large access holes drilled in it.
Do you know what other brands of spurs that will fit?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #3150
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Do you know what other brands of spurs that will fit?
I'm running an Xray 90t offset spur in 17.5 no boost. The RW spurs also fit.