R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-27-2004, 08:09 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Everyone has been debating response time, I'm wondering about the update frequency. I don't know about these controllers, but say if a old controller operated at 30 Hz, and the new ones operate at 60 Hz, that's a big difference in smoothness and responsiveness. I'm assuming the "response time" is something like the time from a command input to the receiver execution. If that's the case, then refresh rate is different from the "response time," and could have a large effect on the smoothness and responsiveness of the transmitter/receiver system. For example, two controllers can have the same "response time," but one operates at 30 Hz, where the transmitter updates the receiver 30 times a second, and another controller operates at 60 Hz, which updates the receiver twice as many times per second. Even though it takes the same amount of time for an input command to be executed by the receiver, the 60 Hz transmitter executes twice as many inputs, and thus will feel smoother and more responsive.

Just my thoughts...
Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:24 PM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

i still don't know the response time for the xs3, but i did speak with a tech at horizon hobby today. he has said that the xr2 is still on a slower circuit, but that the xr3i, xs3, and r-1 are all capable of the same processing/response time. although, he did express this as a function of the frame rate, so he may have been more along the vein of what potato is referring to.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:29 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to BuddyB

My radio is fast enough for me not to spend $300+ on a new radio for something that i am not capabale of feeling....
-Buddy
BuddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 11:51 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by seaball
i still don't know the response time for the xs3, but i did speak with a tech at horizon hobby today. he has said that the xr2 is still on a slower circuit, but that the xr3i, xs3, and r-1 are all capable of the same processing/response time. although, he did express this as a function of the frame rate, so he may have been more along the vein of what potato is referring to.
been wanting to know what is "frame rate" as it's refered to by JR but never really explained.
miniracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:15 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dont know the technical sides of the transmitter times I just know i went from a 3pdf to 3pk and noticed I had more control the car felt much more stable and direct hard to put into words but I liked it better and that's what really matters so i would have to say just like everything else in the rc world you dont know till you try it yourself it is worth it.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 02:21 PM   #21
Tech Elite

I believe that if there were an improvement like regular servo speed (cutting down the total time from user input to servo movement), then the companies would have told us. That would be easy to marketing.

I also believe that potato is on the right track. could be interesting, if Futaba could make an explanation like this one about digital servos.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:41 PM   #22
Tech Elite

hey cole, the manufacturers have told us. as in hrs on the latest futaba receivers. if you read the hype each time a company releases a new top of the line radio, they always claim how much faster the response time is. no lie. most people are fine knowing that their new radio is faster than their last. i want to know by how much without having to spend $300 to find out.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:46 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Seaball, I agree with you. I'm just trying to say I think Potato have the right point, and that point is harder to marketing, than the difference between a 0,17 sec/60 deg servo versus a 0,09. So they just do the marketing blah blah blah....
Old 05-31-2004, 06:25 PM   #24
Tech Elite

oh, i hear ya.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:29 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to MrEs

i went from a standard futaba to a helios and i noticed a HUGE differance. it seems that standard radios (HRS) are
<20ms, HRS 10ms<6ms, AHRS 5ms<2ms.
thats just a rough estimate.

i was in the market for a new radio so i just bought what was best at the time so it can last me many years.
any type of high response system should be good enough though.
MrEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 06:38 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to ctardi

i went from a stock duratrax radio to a 3PK HRS, What a Difference! I think it does make some diffrence if you make a big jump, not take all the steps
ctardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:16 AM   #27
Tech Addict

The standard positioning signal cycle for servo and ESC is 20 milliseconds. Response time from one position to the next can never go below the standard cycle time. Not if they want all servos to work with the rx/tx combo.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:26 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Default response function in the M8

anyone know the response function in the M8? is this the same as a high speed response system? the manual is a bit vague with the explanations of the different functions. but it is a very easy to use and understand radio .
miniracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:24 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

don't forget that radio signals travel at the speed of sound and that the further you are from your car, the slower it will respond. The only time you will notice any difference is in reacting to something. As in feel around the track, you automatically adjust to any "Lag" by when you turn in, accelerate, etc.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:28 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Sorry, radio waves travel at the speed of light.

The delay as the wave travels from transmitter to receiver is imperceptible to humans.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote