Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
help me decide - HPI PRO 4 or XRAY T1 FK >

help me decide - HPI PRO 4 or XRAY T1 FK

help me decide - HPI PRO 4 or XRAY T1 FK

Reply

Old 06-03-2004, 11:44 PM
  #91  
Tech Fanatic
 
Entropy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Singapore
Posts: 965
Default

Its a simple question.

Ask yourself if you want a belt or a shaft car.

Its that simple. All cars can be set to drive well, some easier than others, thats all.

I got myself a Pro4 and TA04 coz I wanted one of each type.
Entropy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 10:39 AM
  #92  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,315
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by Merciless
Sorry forgot to ask..................

What exactly did they spend a load of money on, up grading the FOC edition ??

As anything for the FOC will go on the FT, and if i had a FOC i couldn't see the point in getting a FT as there's really very little difference. After you add the $40 wishbones.

Be fair if your racing r/c at top level and anyone with an X-RAY or HPI Pro4 ain't doing on a tight budget no matter what they tell you !!! a $40 wishbones set isn't the end of the world and if they/you really feel the need for the latest X-Ray, thats out of vanity and no "real" need for it !!
Appearantly, you either, don't read very well or your "reading" what you want from my posts. I never said Xray's putting out too many products. I said, some feel that, they're releasing kits too soon and I agree. Of course, you don't have to buy it just because it gets released. Furthermore, I gave legitmate reasons, why I thought the Pro 4 was the better way to go. Here, I'll recap for you so you won't labor yourself with trying to re-read:

1-You'll have to pay additional money for the swaybars $40. - $60. Also, the "Roll Center Bridge" and ball diff. How much money are we talking about now - hhmm?! Let's say $329. + $40. - $60. + $30. - $50. + Ball diff (price? $$$).
2-You'll need to take half the car apart to service the diffs!
3-the Pro 4 come with everything- sans the ball diff. The Evo FT doesn't come with a ball diff either, right?
4-The Pro 4 goes together nicely. You will need to do some work, in the way of pre-tapping the graphite parts.
5-The Pro 4's box set-up is near perfect.
6-The car is rock solid. I haven't encountered any chassis tweak. Then again, I took my time and built the car, meticulously!
7-The shocks aren't adjustable, but they're very easy to build and are extremely smooth.

Yes, you will strip the gears, running the one-way w/o the "fix" but its cheap to replace the gears. This is prevalent in shaft-drive cars, not just the Pro 4. The one-way is for those who can drive well enough to handle the extreme steering/driving (no brakes) characteristics. I stripped mine, due to a high level of radio "hits" at my local outdoor track which is driving everyone crazy!!!

Last edited by kewdawg; 06-04-2004 at 12:30 PM.
kewdawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:13 PM
  #93  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Jose California
Posts: 1,251
Default

Originally posted by kewdawg

7-The shocks aren't adjustable, but they're very easy to build and are extremely smooth.
WTH do you mean by non-adjustable....They have threaded pre-load collars
The Black Kat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:17 PM
  #94  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,828
Default

Originally posted by The Black Kat
WTH do you mean by non-adjustable....They have threaded pre-load collars
They don't have Adjustable Pistons.
True R/C Racing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:51 PM
  #95  
Tech Addict
 
jeepnyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Great Smokey Mountains, TN USA
Posts: 553
Default

The way this thread is going....by the time you decide which to buy.....TC4 will be out.....Yokomo will have an update to CGM, Tamiya will have a new car..........there will be Pro5..........


Snow will be on the ground......and we'll all be skiing again
jeepnyy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:03 PM
  #96  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,315
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Merci... mentioned wishbones costing $40. like it was normal practice for a touring car. We're talking about ONE set of suspension arms, not say.. Four! What happens if, you break? What, another $40. ?!? You telling me that's not getting "hosed"?!
Sheeeesssh! This is getting scary. Please tell me those wisbones come in an eight-pack!
kewdawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:38 PM
  #97  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pa
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

whats up quinn


Imo, I like the fk better.
The pro 4 is a nice car, but i find the fk slightly better. I believe the 40$ he was talking about was the whole kit for the short arms as the whishbones only cost around 21$. Also, the items you mentioned as the hopups arnt nessesary. Finally i would like to say that the fk is a lot tougher. Sorry to embarrass you kewdawg, but you have to admit your pro4 breaks a lot. With the xray, I have broken very few parts(and I will admit i am not the best driver).
rcguy2477 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:51 PM
  #98  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 1,957
Default

Originally posted by kewdawg
Merci... mentioned wishbones costing $40. like it was normal practice for a touring car. We're talking about ONE set of suspension arms, not say.. Four! What happens if, you break? What, another $40. ?!? You telling me that's not getting "hosed"?!
Sheeeesssh! This is getting scary. Please tell me those wisbones come in an eight-pack!
Get your facts straight. That is the upgrade to the short arms. That includes MORE than just the arms; it includes the turnbuckles and arm mounts as well. One arm cost $7. That's a hell of a better price than the Pro 4. Oh and your comment on the gears striping. The Pro 4 and Tamiya's Evo 3 are the ONLY shaft driven cars that I know of that strips their gears. Most cars don't include swaybars or extra springs with the kit. The Xray's box stock setup IS perfect. You can put te car together on the way to the track, set it up per instructions, and win that night. (seen it done MANY times) As far as prices, with the xray you uses $2 clips to adjust the rear toe compared to HPI's extremely over priced and unnecessary $20 alum pivot blocks. I don't want to have to spend $20 each time I want to change my rear toe 1 degree. I bet you can't find a single Xray owner in the T1 forum that feels like they get hosed. At least Xray hasn't produced cars that were a total flop.
NismoSkyline17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 04:27 PM
  #99  
Tech Master
 
Merciless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,027
Default

Originally posted by kewdawg
Merci... mentioned wishbones costing $40. like it was normal practice for a touring car. We're talking about ONE set of suspension arms, not say.. Four! What happens if, you break? What, another $40. ?!? You telling me that's not getting "hosed"?!
Sheeeesssh! This is getting scary. Please tell me those wisbones come in an eight-pack!
I GIVE UP CAN'T be bothered with you any more !!
Merciless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
  #100  
Tech Adept
 
lowline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: tulsa
Posts: 135
Default

forget all the other crap and go with the bench mark TC3,lol too many good cars to limit yourself between 2
lowline is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:53 AM
  #101  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,315
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by rcguy2477
whats up quinn


Imo, I like the fk better.
The pro 4 is a nice car, but i find the fk slightly better. I believe the 40$ he was talking about was the whole kit for the short arms as the whishbones only cost around 21$. Also, the items you mentioned as the hopups arnt nessesary. Finally i would like to say that the fk is a lot tougher. Sorry to embarrass you kewdawg, but you have to admit your pro4 breaks a lot. With the xray, I have broken very few parts(and I will admit i am not the best driver).
Well, if you race at Hobbytown Usa West Chester, then you know I get a a lot of radio hits. You also know how fast I am - which you aren't. So, When you can go into the PVC pipe at 30 mph and come out unscathed, let me know. In fact, there are two other Xray drivers: Scooby and Tim, who drive just as fast or in Scooby's case, faster than I do and they break the same parts I've broken.

Also, I've blown by you in stock and mod, numerous times. I would be embarrassed to even post!

Last edited by kewdawg; 06-06-2004 at 06:00 AM.
kewdawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:21 AM
  #102  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,315
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by Merciless
I GIVE UP CAN'T be bothered with you any more !!
Merci...,
I'm just picking with you. I'm not that thick. Since, Its inception, the T1 was widely known for being an exspensive touring car. Things have changed, a little, thru the years and gotten better. I'll say again, I've always liked Xray, but I believe I gave solid justifcation to go with the Pro 4. This is an opinion driven thread. That being said, anything presented which is not fact is nothing more than opinon and in the case of this thread, BIASED opinion. Some of you guys become very religious about your brand choice and start a crusade to defend it. Yes, I like hpi, among others, but I try to always be fair in my assessment of other brands. How many of you, can honestly, say the same?
kewdawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:26 AM
  #103  
Tech Regular
 
Johnny J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Australia, NSW
Posts: 375
Default

Kewdawgy - You are also humble and modest

I personally like the X-ray, they are tough as nails, parts are relatively cheap and the car is extremely easy to work on.
Johnny J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:32 AM
  #104  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 47
Default

Why not an Alex Racing Barracuda R3
EUracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:35 AM
  #105  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,315
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
Get your facts straight. That is the upgrade to the short arms. That includes MORE than just the arms; it includes the turnbuckles and arm mounts as well. One arm cost $7. That's a hell of a better price than the Pro 4. Oh and your comment on the gears striping. The Pro 4 and Tamiya's Evo 3 are the ONLY shaft driven cars that I know of that strips their gears. Most cars don't include swaybars or extra springs with the kit. The Xray's box stock setup IS perfect. You can put te car together on the way to the track, set it up per instructions, and win that night. (seen it done MANY times) As far as prices, with the xray you uses $2 clips to adjust the rear toe compared to HPI's extremely over priced and unnecessary $20 alum pivot blocks. I don't want to have to spend $20 each time I want to change my rear toe 1 degree. I bet you can't find a single Xray owner in the T1 forum that feels like they get hosed. At least Xray hasn't produced cars that were a total flop.
Nismo..., I pay $7.49 for Pro 4 arms. As far as the pivot blocks, they're around $11. - where are you getting your prices from? I guess, whoever is selling you Xray parts, figured they could "hose" you for Pro 4 parts too.
Nismo... the 3rd of the trio, of shaft cars, that strip input and ring gears is the TC3. Do the knowledge.

Last edited by kewdawg; 06-06-2004 at 07:07 AM.
kewdawg is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service