R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-04-2004, 12:44 AM   #91
Tech Fanatic

Its a simple question.

Ask yourself if you want a belt or a shaft car.

Its that simple. All cars can be set to drive well, some easier than others, thats all.

I got myself a Pro4 and TA04 coz I wanted one of each type.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:39 AM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Merciless
Sorry forgot to ask..................

What exactly did they spend a load of money on, up grading the FOC edition ??

As anything for the FOC will go on the FT, and if i had a FOC i couldn't see the point in getting a FT as there's really very little difference. After you add the $40 wishbones.

Be fair if your racing r/c at top level and anyone with an X-RAY or HPI Pro4 ain't doing on a tight budget no matter what they tell you !!! a $40 wishbones set isn't the end of the world and if they/you really feel the need for the latest X-Ray, thats out of vanity and no "real" need for it !!
Appearantly, you either, don't read very well or your "reading" what you want from my posts. I never said Xray's putting out too many products. I said, some feel that, they're releasing kits too soon and I agree. Of course, you don't have to buy it just because it gets released. Furthermore, I gave legitmate reasons, why I thought the Pro 4 was the better way to go. Here, I'll recap for you so you won't labor yourself with trying to re-read:

1-You'll have to pay additional money for the swaybars $40. - $60. Also, the "Roll Center Bridge" and ball diff. How much money are we talking about now - hhmm?! Let's say $329. + $40. - $60. + $30. - $50. + Ball diff (price? $$$).
2-You'll need to take half the car apart to service the diffs!
3-the Pro 4 come with everything- sans the ball diff. The Evo FT doesn't come with a ball diff either, right?
4-The Pro 4 goes together nicely. You will need to do some work, in the way of pre-tapping the graphite parts.
5-The Pro 4's box set-up is near perfect.
6-The car is rock solid. I haven't encountered any chassis tweak. Then again, I took my time and built the car, meticulously!
7-The shocks aren't adjustable, but they're very easy to build and are extremely smooth.

Yes, you will strip the gears, running the one-way w/o the "fix" but its cheap to replace the gears. This is prevalent in shaft-drive cars, not just the Pro 4. The one-way is for those who can drive well enough to handle the extreme steering/driving (no brakes) characteristics. I stripped mine, due to a high level of radio "hits" at my local outdoor track which is driving everyone crazy!!!

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC

Last edited by kewdawg; 06-04-2004 at 01:30 PM.
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:13 PM   #93
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by kewdawg

7-The shocks aren't adjustable, but they're very easy to build and are extremely smooth.
WTH do you mean by non-adjustable....They have threaded pre-load collars
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #94
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
WTH do you mean by non-adjustable....They have threaded pre-load collars
They don't have Adjustable Pistons.
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:51 PM   #95
Tech Addict

The way this thread is going....by the time you decide which to buy.....TC4 will be out.....Yokomo will have an update to CGM, Tamiya will have a new car..........there will be Pro5..........

Snow will be on the ground......and we'll all be skiing again
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:03 PM   #96
Tech Elite

Merci... mentioned wishbones costing $40. like it was normal practice for a touring car. We're talking about ONE set of suspension arms, not say.. Four! What happens if, you break? What, another $40. ?!? You telling me that's not getting "hosed"?!
Sheeeesssh! This is getting scary. Please tell me those wisbones come in an eight-pack!

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
Old 06-04-2004, 02:38 PM   #97
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcguy2477

whats up quinn

Imo, I like the fk better.
The pro 4 is a nice car, but i find the fk slightly better. I believe the 40$ he was talking about was the whole kit for the short arms as the whishbones only cost around 21$. Also, the items you mentioned as the hopups arnt nessesary. Finally i would like to say that the fk is a lot tougher. Sorry to embarrass you kewdawg, but you have to admit your pro4 breaks a lot. With the xray, I have broken very few parts(and I will admit i am not the best driver).
greddy t04b, megasquirt ecu, PlX wideband, 12x28x3 fmic, 50mm hks clone wg, ssqv bov, Safc, ss oil lines, walbro fuel pump, tubo intake manifolds, ssac exhaust manifold, 3" dp, 550cc primary/720cc secondary injectors, etc.
rcguy2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:51 PM   #98
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Merci... mentioned wishbones costing $40. like it was normal practice for a touring car. We're talking about ONE set of suspension arms, not say.. Four! What happens if, you break? What, another $40. ?!? You telling me that's not getting "hosed"?!
Sheeeesssh! This is getting scary. Please tell me those wisbones come in an eight-pack!
Get your facts straight. That is the upgrade to the short arms. That includes MORE than just the arms; it includes the turnbuckles and arm mounts as well. One arm cost $7. That's a hell of a better price than the Pro 4. Oh and your comment on the gears striping. The Pro 4 and Tamiya's Evo 3 are the ONLY shaft driven cars that I know of that strips their gears. Most cars don't include swaybars or extra springs with the kit. The Xray's box stock setup IS perfect. You can put te car together on the way to the track, set it up per instructions, and win that night. (seen it done MANY times) As far as prices, with the xray you uses $2 clips to adjust the rear toe compared to HPI's extremely over priced and unnecessary $20 alum pivot blocks. I don't want to have to spend $20 each time I want to change my rear toe 1 degree. I bet you can't find a single Xray owner in the T1 forum that feels like they get hosed. At least Xray hasn't produced cars that were a total flop.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 05:27 PM   #99
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Quote:
I GIVE UP CAN'T be bothered with you any more !!
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 10:50 PM   #100
Tech Adept

forget all the other crap and go with the bench mark TC3,lol too many good cars to limit yourself between 2
lowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:53 AM   #101
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rcguy2477
whats up quinn

Imo, I like the fk better.
The pro 4 is a nice car, but i find the fk slightly better. I believe the 40$ he was talking about was the whole kit for the short arms as the whishbones only cost around 21$. Also, the items you mentioned as the hopups arnt nessesary. Finally i would like to say that the fk is a lot tougher. Sorry to embarrass you kewdawg, but you have to admit your pro4 breaks a lot. With the xray, I have broken very few parts(and I will admit i am not the best driver).
Well, if you race at Hobbytown Usa West Chester, then you know I get a a lot of radio hits. You also know how fast I am - which you aren't. So, When you can go into the PVC pipe at 30 mph and come out unscathed, let me know. In fact, there are two other Xray drivers: Scooby and Tim, who drive just as fast or in Scooby's case, faster than I do and they break the same parts I've broken.

Also, I've blown by you in stock and mod, numerous times. I would be embarrassed to even post!

Last edited by kewdawg; 06-06-2004 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:21 AM   #102
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Merciless
I GIVE UP CAN'T be bothered with you any more !!
Merci...,
I'm just picking with you. I'm not that thick. Since, Its inception, the T1 was widely known for being an exspensive touring car. Things have changed, a little, thru the years and gotten better. I'll say again, I've always liked Xray, but I believe I gave solid justifcation to go with the Pro 4. This is an opinion driven thread. That being said, anything presented which is not fact is nothing more than opinon and in the case of this thread, BIASED opinion. Some of you guys become very religious about your brand choice and start a crusade to defend it. Yes, I like hpi, among others, but I try to always be fair in my assessment of other brands. How many of you, can honestly, say the same?

Old 06-06-2004, 07:26 AM   #103
Tech Regular

Kewdawgy - You are also humble and modest

I personally like the X-ray, they are tough as nails, parts are relatively cheap and the car is extremely easy to work on.
Johnny J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:32 AM   #104
Tech Initiate

Why not an Alex Racing Barracuda R3
EUracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:35 AM   #105
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
Get your facts straight. That is the upgrade to the short arms. That includes MORE than just the arms; it includes the turnbuckles and arm mounts as well. One arm cost $7. That's a hell of a better price than the Pro 4. Oh and your comment on the gears striping. The Pro 4 and Tamiya's Evo 3 are the ONLY shaft driven cars that I know of that strips their gears. Most cars don't include swaybars or extra springs with the kit. The Xray's box stock setup IS perfect. You can put te car together on the way to the track, set it up per instructions, and win that night. (seen it done MANY times) As far as prices, with the xray you uses $2 clips to adjust the rear toe compared to HPI's extremely over priced and unnecessary $20 alum pivot blocks. I don't want to have to spend $20 each time I want to change my rear toe 1 degree. I bet you can't find a single Xray owner in the T1 forum that feels like they get hosed. At least Xray hasn't produced cars that were a total flop.
Nismo..., I pay $7.49 for Pro 4 arms. As far as the pivot blocks, they're around $11. - where are you getting your prices from? I guess, whoever is selling you Xray parts, figured they could "hose" you for Pro 4 parts too.
Nismo... the 3rd of the trio, of shaft cars, that strip input and ring gears is the TC3. Do the knowledge.

Last edited by kewdawg; 06-06-2004 at 08:07 AM.