Quote:
Originally posted by azenis

I think this thread has pretty much sold me on the Xray
Very good choice
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:10 PM   #47
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy

i better get a word in fast then lol, i just recently bought a pro4 and well the drive train is the frees on any car i have ever see box stock and the stock set-up plus a few camber and stock mounting changes is awsome besides that pro4 is just pain awsome looking cuz of the purple

that probally doesnt change ur mind but its was my 2cents

lazy
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:16 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by lazyboy
i better get a word in fast then lol, i just recently bought a pro4 and well the drive train is the frees on any car i have ever see box stock and the stock set-up plus a few camber and stock mounting changes is awsome besides that pro4 is just pain awsome looking cuz of the purple

that probally doesnt change ur mind but its was my 2cents

lazy
Did you break the gear Or have tweaking problems on your 1st run?
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:26 PM   #49
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by azenis
Hi jeffreylin
It is a great spot here, not warm but fantastic lifestyle
Where are you from?
I think this thread has pretty much sold me on the Xray
I came from Taiwan originally but lived most of my life in LA. I now live mostly in LA but travels to Asia on a monthly basis for work. I used to visit NZ regularily for work but unfortunately no more.

Good luck with the new car. I will PM you if I even get a chance to go back to Hobart again.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:55 PM   #50
Tech Addict

I had a pro 4 and the Evo2 FOC. I just picked up the Factory team kit. Pro 4 is a potentially a great car. some of the parts are stupid expensive. 10.00+ for 2 c-hubs!!! The pro 4 is well built but stock chassis might as well be made of paper. need BMI chassis and top deck to run carpet. fairly durable....quiet like a belt car....good rip.

Xray is simply the best built car out there. dont need a dremel or a knife to build the car!!! well balanced...very durable. Week point is probably the c-hubs or knuckles but not brittle. very easy to drive and still has good rip. Xray is my choice but the pro4 is still a good kit.
Joneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:01 PM   #51
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy

Quote:
Originally posted by True R/C Racing
Did you break the gear Or have tweaking problems on your 1st run?

no i havent
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:25 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ICEMAN
XRAY is your only choice
I beg to differ!

The Pro 4 has all the best attributes of the top touring cars to date:

-TC3's snap
-XXXS' steering
-Xray's smooth, quiet ride (unheard of, in a shaft-drive car!)
Not to mention "PLANTED" - the car is really stable.
The Pro 4 needs nothing. Everything's in the box (you won't have to pay $40.00 for a swaybar on a "Factory Team" car). The car really easy to build, with the exception of pre-tapping the graphite parts. You will not find, a more "FREE" drivetrain out of the box, then the Pro 4. The car tracks straight, without a hint of "torque-steer". Hpi really did their homework this time around. You can get the car for as little as $265.00! You can buy a ball diff, spares, pivot block spacer set, and still spend less than the cost of the Xray Evo Factory team (Sans the exspensive sway bars - tack-on another $40 - $60 bucks for them). So, Your only real choice, is whether to "GET DOWN" or "LAY DOWN"!

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:03 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by kewdawg
I beg to differ!

The Pro 4 has all the best attributes of the top touring cars to date:

-TC3's snap
-XXXS' steering
-Xray's smooth, quiet ride (unheard of, in a shaft-drive car!)
Not to mention "PLANTED" - the car is really stable.
The Pro 4 needs nothing. Everything's in the box (you won't have to pay $40.00 for a swaybar on a "Factory Team" car). The car really easy to build, with the exception of pre-tapping the graphite parts. You will not find, a more "FREE" drivetrain out of the box, then the Pro 4. The car tracks straight, without a hint of "torque-steer". Hpi really did their homework this time around. You can get the car for as little as $265.00! You can buy a ball diff, spares, pivot block spacer set, and still spend less than the cost of the Xray Evo Factory team (Sans the exspensive sway bars - tack-on another $40 - $60 bucks for them). So, Your only real choice, is whether to "GET DOWN" or "LAY DOWN"!
LOL...yeah, that sounds good on paper, but you can't get parts for them in the states unless you order them from HK or happen to be one of the lucky few that catch a break and grab the three or four parts that make it over here.

I regret buying it EVERY day. Shame, too....nice car. Oddly enough, I considered an X-Ray, but I didn't want to be stranded for (expensive) parts.

Oh yeah...$9 for a front arm (they only come in a f/r pair) and 9-10 bucks for a pair of camber blocks.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 05-28-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:01 PM   #54
Tech Addict

What I dont understand is this thinking that xray parts are expensive. I will admit that if you dont keep spares there are times that parts can be hard to find but they can be found. I am sitting here looking at some parts c-hub=3.55, short arm=4.55
rear upright=3.55 seems cheaper than a tc3, hpi, or anything else...heck, you get 3 c-hubs for every 2 hpi you could buy!!!
Joneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:13 PM   #55
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Even though I'm an X-Ray driver, the Pro 4 prices don't seem that unreasonable to me. I just ordered some more spares for my FK the arms were $4.50 each and the steering blocks were $4.35. Only difference is I don't have to buy them in pairs, but prices seem pretty similiar.

Kewdawg: I paid $290 for my FK last week (NIB from a retailer on eBay), and $43 for a front diff (carpet track). Sways are pretty expensive at around $40 f/r though I do admit. X-Ray is worth it every time I want to adjust my shocks though, instead of taking the car apart to put in new pistons, I just unbolt the bottom, pull out the shaft and "click" in a new setting. The look on the other guys faces while they're pouring shock oil and I'm back out on the track makes a little extra $$ up front well worth it.

Just a fyi, I have nothing against the HPI, I'm just in love with my X-Ray.
psbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:25 AM   #56
Tech Elite

I totally agree on the price thing. I would much rather be able to buy two front arms for $10 than one for $9. Same for the caster blocks.

There are only two shops locally that carry them (SFAIK), SoCal and SpeedTech, but I can order parts through HobbyTown here in town. I figured that I'd be able to get HPI stuff anywhere, but it turns out that I can actually get the Xray stuff easier...LOL

Parts availability for the Pro 4 is a complete and total JOKE and the prices are pretty much the same. This was my fourth HPI and it will likely be my last.

It's a shame, because the people there are really nice (they're local) and they really did make a cool car...they just seem to have dropped the ball when it comes to supporting it.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:11 AM   #57
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Can i just mention about the "expensive" X-ray parts your moaning about...............HOW OFTEN DO THEY BREAK ?????
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 05:15 AM   #58
Tech Regular

why not get the cheaper option, the xray t1r. It's a great car and amazing quality, it beats the pro 4 easily
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:16 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Merciless
Can i just mention about the "expensive" X-ray parts your moaning about...............HOW OFTEN DO THEY BREAK ?????
If it's me you're referring to as "moaning"...I'm hardly "moaning". Xray parts *do* cost more than for most other cars. Turns out however, that at least compared to the Pro-4, you seem to get more for your money, parts-wise.

Neither one seems to break very easily, but when you need parts, you need parts.

Frankly, the biggest reason I didn't do one wasn't parts, it was the saddle pack thing. I wanted to be able to use the same batteries in different cars...I had saddle packs in my Sport 2 and EMT and they sucked.

Some guy at the local track was selling a used T1R...it was pretty bitchin'. It *almost* made me forget about hating the saddle thing.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:33 AM   #60
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I own both cars and one is no better than the other,At the track I race at I run about the same lap times in the 19 turn class,in the stock class I'm faster with the Pro4 and I'm a bit faster in mod with the Xray,I race outdoor asphalt so stiff as a board is not allways best.. Both are good cars and just remember you still have to drive them.So for all you Xray guys, you can still get beat by a Pro4 if the Pro4's driver is better than you,And the same goes for the Pro4 drivers.It's all in what you want to Drive.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote