Community
Wiki Posts
Search

setting camber?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Default setting camber?

Can camber be set if the shocks are not one the car,thanks.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:52 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Not really but anything is possible. Usually the shocks/tires should be on the car. So far I have found that the Hudy or Integy set-up stations sets camber and toe the most accurate.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:53 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, I have the tires, but the Xray shocks are so hard build I am having a friend do it so I don't have them, do you think it would be possible to set the camber accurately?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Build the shocks man...you can do it!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

I tried for about 4 hrs and then gave up.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i think the shocks are kinda hard too.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

kinda hard is an understatement...

xray shocks are the most difficult to build, wellt thats only me. but really, have any of you had a harder time with other schock's eyelets?

back to the issue, i think its possible, as long as when u install the shocks, you ste the ride height properly, dont think you'll encounter any bumps. however, there is the issue of rebound camber, remember when u set the camber u have to oush the chasis up and down at least twice to get the car to settle before setting the camber, ride height, etc.

hope this helps...
Old 05-26-2004, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i haven't had any harder then Xray's, the Pro 4's were soo easy it was unbelievable.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

I was ready to shoot myself when first building the XRay shocks! I am really dreading a rebuild lol.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:30 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by TC3er
Yes, I have the tires, but the Xray shocks are so hard build I am having a friend do it so I don't have them, do you think it would be possible to set the camber accurately?
The only way you can set your camber w/out the shocks is to put spacers underneath the chassis. Make sure you raise the car to the ride height you will be running 4.5mm, 5mm etc. From there you should be able to set your camber.

As for building the shocks, you need a pair of dykes to hold the shafts when you put the eyelets on. It is very tough and I ruined all my shafts on my first build

Good luck,
P2
Old 05-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: setting camber?

Originally posted by TC3er
Can camber be set if the shocks are not one the car,thanks.
Don't be impatient Man. cAmber takes a few Sec/Min to set. If you set Camber w/o the shocks It might not be 100% accurate and will make you do it twice.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Whats so hard about Xray shocks??? screwing the eyelet onto the shaft???

If thats the case...cut a thin strip of leather about 1/2 inch thick and fold it over the shaft...then grip the shaft with a BIGASS pair of pliers. Long pliers if possible because that way you'll have alot of leverage to really clamp down on the shafts. The leather strip will protect the shaft quite well...much better than any plastic, metal or fabric.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by new92
I was ready to shoot myself when first building the XRay shocks! I am really dreading a rebuild lol.
i thought i was alone (you know the ready to shoot myself thingy)

worse about my xray shocks, when everything was instaled in the car, i saw four little washers that resembled the ones that go between the e-clip and the adjustable pistons and now, my xray is running without those washers in the shocks. i'll just wait for my next rebuild before i reinstall them
Old 05-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

setting the car without its shocks on might be abit inaccurate as the tires are on its own weight only plus without deformation. wheras if u had the shocks on part of the chassis weight would be on it aswell where the tires would deform abit.

lets say u space the car up 5mm without shocks and set camber, then when youre shocks are on, youre tires deform and u crank down the springs to make it 5mm again - thats when there would be abit of camber change, but i dont think itll be much.

i hope this helps and correct me if im wrong
Old 05-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Shredded a shock shaft (or, piston rod, in XRay speak) trying to assemble the shocks in my new Factory Kit. Going to buy a good 4-40 tap set and pre-thread those shock ends before attempting again.

Soviet - thanks for the leather tip. I'll try that while building the new shocks.

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.