R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-09-2010, 04:19 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Did some testing a couple of days ago. Two TA-05s, both with good LiPo batteries and good speedos. One with a Tamiya Black Can Sport Tuned motor and another with a good 21.5 with no timing programmed into the speedo. As Niznai said, the 21.5 was slightly faster than a good 27 turn brushed motor. The shocker was that the black can was almost an exact match to the 21.5. We did lap after lap, nuts to butts, waiting for the other to make a mistake to pass. I thought the speed was right what we are looking for. Makes me wonder if the new VTA rules are going to slow the cars a little too much. Can't wait to see how a 25.5 performs.
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
Did some testing a couple of days ago. Two TA-05s, both with good LiPo batteries and good speedos. One with a Tamiya Black Can Sport Tuned motor and another with a good 21.5 with no timing programmed into the speedo. As Niznai said, the 21.5 was slightly faster than a good 27 turn brushed motor. The shocker was that the black can was almost an exact match to the 21.5. We did lap after lap, nuts to butts, waiting for the other to make a mistake to pass. I thought the speed was right what we are looking for. Makes me wonder if the new VTA rules are going to slow the cars a little too much. Can't wait to see how a 25.5 performs.

Don't quote me on this, but I think black cans are actually 23 turn.

Keep in mind as well what I said about the track layout. This is a major factor on how the motors keep up with each other. I am happy my prediction proved right this time but try to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

On our track, a black can had the lap record and I couldn't match it with a 21.5 and a RSpro tweaked to my best ability (I was at the time the fastest in 21.5). I did manage to come within .02 (that is two hundredths of a second) within the record time, but that was about as good as I got. True, the black can burnt out in that attempt, and the car was driven by a much better driver than I am, but I think it says something about the equivalence between these motors AT OUR TRACK. How one extrapolates this to other tracks is a different matter altogether.

One more point, I have done consistently the time I mentioned before, whereas the black can as it turned out could only do it once.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote