R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default Timing Loop Bridge

I searched though here recently looking for info on making a timing loop bridge. I found a little information but it wasn't much. I figured I would post what I ended up with.

Cost was 25-30 bucks. We are hoping to use this on an indoor carpet track. The plan is to use 4 straps to attach the loop legs to the tops of the boards so the loop doesn't interfere with the racing surface at all.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice job, I did a similar one for my mini-z track with a different style of top bow. I also walled in the ends with plastic "cardboard" as my I Lap was picking up cars next lane over on certain track layouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBtLY...eature=channel

Neil Armstrong 1968
Cammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
I searched though here recently looking for info on making a timing loop bridge. I found a little information but it wasn't much. I figured I would post what I ended up with.

Cost was 25-30 bucks. We are hoping to use this on an indoor carpet track. The plan is to use 4 straps to attach the loop legs to the tops of the boards so the loop doesn't interfere with the racing surface at all.

Jeez, at least you could give me some credit.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/7592367-post17.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/7592544-post18.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/7594758-post19.html
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Sorry. I wasn't trying to offend. Thank you for your help!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Tech Adept

The bridge in the pic is a good idea. I would make 2 changes, 1 make it lower to where there is just 3 to 4 inches of clearance, and 2 make sure the width of the loop is at least a minimum of 18 inches apart. Other than that good job.
Dave Irrgang
Diffdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Tech Elite

We have since shortened it to about 14 inches from the track surface. If I can't get the loop to read I may increase the width. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Heres some more info
http://www.rctech.net/forum/7638119-post20.html
http://www.rctech.net/forum/7638165-post21.html
http://www.rctech.net/forum/7638283-post22.html
Old 07-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Is your carpet permanent?

For carpet I generally use 24ga "Speaker Wire" and Gorilla Tape, and put the loop right where I want it on the tracks surface.

(I do the same thing on ASPHALT and CONCRETE Tracks outdoors as well) - on everything from 100ft Bull Ring tracks to a 820 ft High Banked VELODROME

The benefit of NO BRIDGE - No mess, no tearing it down, No Storage, and NOTHING to obstruct view or crash in to.

The bad part - a roll of 24ga Speaker Wire (75 ft long) from Radio Shack is about $5.00 and a roll of Gorilla Tape at Wal-Mart is about $9.00 - and I use a FRESH LOOP for every race.

The speaker wire has w strands (I use solid core wire when ever possible) and is thin and flat, so it produces almost NO bump at all.

I've never used a Resistor inline in the wire either (AMB usually recommends one) but I've never done it in 14 years of setting up races)

The width of the loop, I generally make 12-14 inches, but have done them as narrow as 8 inches, and as wide as 18. (I did a bridge for a few events, and ALWAYS had issues when using it, and it was only about 12" inches high.)
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Permanent carpet. We actually have a loop already under the carpet, but we are shifting where we race on the carpet to another section. We have 60' X 100' of carpet and are going to start racing on a section thats 40' X 75' that is farther from the indoor off-road track that we share the building with. The new section also doesn't have any poles in it. Were using a bridge for now to evaluate our options.

I tested a few things and eliminated the RG-6 coax I was using to extend. With just RG-59 between the decoder and the loop I was able to get the bridge to work. Now I just need to test adding more RG-59. Thanks for the ideas. If things work out we may just cut a slit in the carpet and lay wires like you suggested and then glue the carpet back down over it. I'll try to post whatever I learn through the course of this.

So far it looks like its important to use only RG-59 between the decoder and the connection box. I also believe the resistor is not necessary.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
Tech Elite

It turned out that the problem was the quantity/quality of connections we had in line between the decoder and the loop. I ran a fresh 250' line of RG-6 straight from the decoder to the loop and it works awesome now. In fact I can raise the loop another foot or two and still get good reception. Bottom line is use RG-6 or RG-59 and use up to 100 meters (~330 ') with no connectors. Perfect reception!!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

For carpet I generally use 24ga "Speaker Wire" and Gorilla Tape, and put the loop right where I want it on the tracks surface. (I do the same thing on ASPHALT and CONCRETE Tracks outdoors as well) - on everything from 100ft Bull Ring tracks to a 820 ft High Banked VELODROMEThe benefit of NO BRIDGE - No mess, no tearing it down, No Storage, and NOTHING to obstruct view or crash in to.The bad part - a roll of 24ga Speaker Wire (75 ft long) from Radio Shack is about $5.00 and a roll of Gorilla Tape at Wal-Mart is about $9.00 - and I use a FRESH LOOP for every race. The speaker wire has w strands (I use solid core wire when ever possible) and is thin and flat, so it produces almost NO bump at all.I've never used a Resistor inline in the wire either (AMB usually recommends one) but I've never done it in 14 years of setting up races) The width of the loop, I generally make 12-14 inches, but have done them as narrow as 8 inches, and as wide as 18. (I did a bridge for a few events, and ALWAYS had issues when using it, and it was only about 12" inches high.) It turned out that the problem was the quantity/quality of connections we had in line between the decoder and the loop. I ran a fresh 250' line of RG-6 straight from the decoder to the loop and it works awesome now. In fact I can raise the loop another foot or two and still get good reception. Bottom line is use RG-6 or RG-59 and use up to 100 meters (~330 ') with no connectors. Perfect reception!!
lehua768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:21 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Still sorting this out. Were currently using the 24gauge wire with gorilla tape. We have a permanent facility that gets used during store hours 7 days a week. With no supervision on the track lots can happen with all kinds of on and of road cars finding their way ontot the carpet. I have come to the track to practice during the week and found the loop untaped, broken, moved etc 3 or 4 times in the last 2 months. I'd still like to get the bridge to work.

Does anyone know of or race at a track that uses a bridge with the ANALOG (big box with screws at four corners) connection box? I am starting to wonder if the problem with the signal strength is the old box were using. All the bridge tracks I have sen are using the new small black epoxied connection box.