Wiki Posts
Search

Bearing preperation and rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Bearing preperation and rebuilding

Just curious, do you rebuild your bearings? or rather replace them with new ones?

If you do rebuild them do you have tips what oil to use etc..

And new bearings do you flush them out and re-oil them? One of the fast guys in the track said to flush out bearings and re-oil. Im all confused.

All comments welcome.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

usually you can flush them out with motor spray, let them dry, and then put very little oil on them.

This is really good thing to do with bearings that you don't know what kind of lube was used on them.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Bearing Maintainence

ok .. I flush out and relube even new bearings just becasue most come with a grease in them rather than a lube .. and that grease adds rolling resistance / kills top speed ... also .. depending on where you run I also remove one of the shields of the bearings from my TC3 this also reduces rolling resistance .. I only do this on my carpet chassis tho .. not on My outdoor chassis ... removing the shield reduces bearing life and increases needed maintanence but it really helps the drivetrain be as free as possible .. if you do this ... put the shielded sides out and the unshielded together in the wheel hubs ... and the shielded out on the diff cases ... I even go as far as for the main shaft support it uses two at each end .. so the totally sealed in one I remove both shields ... for maintainence ... I soak the bearings in denatured alcohol over night after removing a shield ... then give a quick shot of motor spray .. let them dry ... and I use Trinity Royal Oil myself ... its purple and runs about like water would its a very thin oil ... and I put 4 drops in for small bearings .. and one drop inbetween every other ball in bigger bearings .. so like a wheel hub 3/8 inch od bearing usually has 8 balls in it ... I do one drop at the four cardnal directions .. like looking at a clock face .. 12 3 6 and 9 ... and on bigger bearings .. I do one drop inbetween every other bearing ... so like 6 or 8 drops in a diff support bearing .. for the bearings inside a diff I usually leave in the factory installed grease .. or if a bearing is getting gritty in there I use a heavier oil .. usually the Trinity Stock Bushing Oil ... just to keept eh maintainence down ... I redo my main bearings at least once a month .. usually more like every other week .. during carpet season .. outdoors .. I do them every week ... just because of the increase in dust and fine grit getting in there from parking lot running ... hope this helps ...

have fun racing

E
Old 05-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hmm thanks........ is singer sewing machine oil as thin as the trinity royal oil?

And do you guys rebuild every race meet? Thats damn hard and time consuming anyways all comments welcome.

-Luie
Old 05-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

basically, i do what the others have said, but after cleaning the bearings, i try to spin them, you can see which bearings are already shot, the bearings that are smooth even without oil are lubed and used on my car, whereas the bearings that are no longer smooth will be cleaned again. after being cleaned the second time and are still not as smoth, then they are either thrown away or lent to a competitor . seriously though, after checking which bearings are still ok i lube them with a synthetic bearing oil (FUKWRX, i beleive i included a synthetic bearing oil in the package i sent you), seal them, and youre set.

i usually clean brand new bearings and relube them. however, when i got the xray, i felt that there was no need to do my usual bearing preps, seems like the blue sealed bearings are really of high quality.

o another thing, i've long been wondering, has anyone ever tried tribu comm drops as bearing oil?
Old 05-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by FUK_WRX
Hmm thanks........ is singer sewing machine oil as thin as the trinity royal oil?

And do you guys rebuild every race meet? Thats damn hard and time consuming anyways all comments welcome.

-Luie
Luie,

dont think so, i think singer sewing machine oil is a tad thicker.

rebuilds depend on the condition after a race, but when a big race is up, a rebuild is imperative.

Jon
Old 05-25-2004, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

FUK_WRX

during the indoor season carpet racing I rebuild every other race date ... at big races I rebuild between rounds even ... or take a second set and use fresh rebuilds every round ... for outdoor racing .. I rebuild every race date ...

have fun racing

E
Old 05-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

I use ultra-sonic jewelry cleaner with wd40. The ultrasonic breaks down the dirt & grime that got stuck in the bearing and removes it from the metal. I put a couple of drops of Zubak's bearing oil before the race. I clean them after every weekend race. For storage after the last race of the season...After cleaning I soak them on oil in a zip lock bag till next racing season. Some says they use Duralube or Restore or something like that...I don't know if it works or not. It wouldn't hurt it .