Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help a newbie out...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Post Help a newbie out...

Well, I finally decided to take the plunge into R/C. I bought an HPI RS4 Sport2 off of Ebay and it has a 19T double wind motor, Super Rooster ESC and servo. I bought a 3000 miAh battery, radio gear & charger for it. So far, I'm impressed, but have several questions. (Yes, I've already checked out the Newbie forum)

First off, the super rooster has a different connection for the battery than my battery has. My battery has the plastic connector w/ the square hole and the rounded hole. The ESC connector is 2 blades. I need to keep the battery connector b/c that's what my charger has. Is there somewhere that I can order the plastic style connector so that I can change my ESC's? (Right now I am making them work via electrical tape...don't ask...totally ghetto )

My main intention for this car is for drifting. Anyone have any tips for this particular chassis?? I'm going to outfit it w/ ABS or PVC, but I'm curious as to what to do w/ suspension setup? I have absolutely no idea how to work on these cars as it was assembled when I got it, but I'm browsing HPI's site and here to find out how. Any help is much appreciated.

Lastly, my receiver's antenna...how do you guys set yours up?? I see tons of pics of cars w/out it on the outside, but if I tape it to the inside of the body, my range seems drastically reduced. I had it sticking out of the body via a tube and it worked great, but I just don't like the look .

I know these are all stupid questions to the veterans, but everyone has to start somewhere....I'm just at the bottom
Old 05-25-2004, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

That plug on the speedo sounds like a deans plug

I'd suggest converting everything you have to deans....much less resistance

You can make an adapter for charging
Old 05-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

square hole and rounded hole is the Tamiya connector
Old 05-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Welcome to the world of r/c! yeah, you're gonna wanna switch to Dean's plugs, they dont have as much resistance. Which means higher top speeds & more run time. As for your antenna not sticking outta the body try... Taking a small peice of lexan and wrapping the wire around it. Then mount the lexan somewhere on your chassis. My website has tons of tips & stuff to help you out, as well as a forum. Check it out: www.rcxotic.com
Old 05-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Also, here's an article on drifting. GET SIDEWAYS! - From RCXotic.com

Also, where in FL are you? I'm in Lakeland, I'd be happy to help you out sometime.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

another advantage of the deans is you avoid the melting problem that tamiya connectors can be prone to.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to check out the dean's plug to make sure it's the right one, but good idea on making an adapter for the charger...hadn't thought of that .

I made the PVC "tires" tonight....HUGE difference. It's barely controllable, but a lot of fun. I improved quite a bit towards the end of my run, but the car has definetely lost all of its high speed stability, but I expected that.

As far as motors go, right now it has a Venom Fireball 19T double turn on it. I see on Ebay they're only like $20, so I imagine they're pretty cheap quality-wise (although it runs nicely now, I don't have anything else to compare it to other than my $50 Radio Shack R/C's). Anyway, what are some other recommendations?? I'm sure this has been asked a 1000 times, but I'd like to get something that's reliable & rebuildable. Is my Venom?? I couldn't find any parts for it on towerhobbies or Ebay. Do any manufacturers parts work??

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by Nrctc3
My website has tons of tips & stuff to help you out, as well as a forum. Check it out: www.rcxotic.com
Awesome website by the way....I was actually on it earlier in the day. I stumbled across it when searching for maintence and came across your electric engine cleaning page. Want to know the level of my R/C knowledge.....I didn't even know you were suppose to clean the engine!!!! Oh well, learning experience...at least I've only run it 3 times.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Those Venom motors aren't really that bad. They're great for beginers because of the low price & high performance. Try contacting Venom to order brushes & stuff for it. www.venom-racing.com Or you could just buy a whole new motor and use it for parts since they're so cheap!
Old 05-27-2004, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

Welcome to the hobby. The SPort2 is a great car, I still have mine.

On hpiracing.com, you can find the manual.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Post Re: Help a newbie out...

Originally posted by the mailman
Well, I finally decided to take the plunge into R/C. I bought an HPI RS4 Sport2 off of Ebay and it has a 19T double wind motor, Super Rooster ESC and servo. I bought a 3000 miAh battery, radio gear & charger for it. So far, I'm impressed, but have several questions. (Yes, I've already checked out the Newbie forum)

First off, the super rooster has a different connection for the battery than my battery has. My battery has the plastic connector w/ the square hole and the rounded hole. The ESC connector is 2 blades. I need to keep the battery connector b/c that's what my charger has. Is there somewhere that I can order the plastic style connector so that I can change my ESC's? (Right now I am making them work via electrical tape...don't ask...totally ghetto )

My main intention for this car is for drifting. Anyone have any tips for this particular chassis?? I'm going to outfit it w/ ABS or PVC, but I'm curious as to what to do w/ suspension setup? I have absolutely no idea how to work on these cars as it was assembled when I got it, but I'm browsing HPI's site and here to find out how. Any help is much appreciated.

Lastly, my receiver's antenna...how do you guys set yours up?? I see tons of pics of cars w/out it on the outside, but if I tape it to the inside of the body, my range seems drastically reduced. I had it sticking out of the body via a tube and it worked great, but I just don't like the look .

I know these are all stupid questions to the veterans, but everyone has to start somewhere....I'm just at the bottom
everything i have that has the white plug(1square+1round), i cut them off and soldered on red plugs(deans-vert. & horizontal openings); and it all works great. EVEN MY CHARGER which is a super brain 959 (i know--CHEAP!!).
and yes i agree with everyone else,--GO W/ DEANS PLUGS or you can go with the cylindrical european plugs. scratch that last suggestion--i haven't even tested those out yet
Old 05-31-2004, 12:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default charger adaptor

hi im also new. im confused on making an adaptor for chargin using deans? how does that work? do you mean to cut off the tamiya connector on teh charger and replace it with a dean?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Take the Tamiya plug from a battery and solder a piece of wire to it. Then take a female Deans connector and solder it to the wire. Then you have an adapator.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Yup! he's right its asiancupid63 its the easiest way to have a connector from tamiya plug to deans connector socket/plug. But to make the kit/car looks better replace it with deans so that you also avoid the tamiya connector being fused....

asiancupid63 & the mailman all I can say is WELCOME TO THE R/C WORLD !!!!

Old 05-31-2004, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Post Re: charger adaptor

Originally posted by asiancupid63
hi im also new. im confused on making an adaptor for chargin using deans? how does that work? do you mean to cut off the tamiya connector on teh charger and replace it with a dean?

uh-huh, yes, yep, that's exactly what i'm telling you to do. that's the easiest way to do it and you don't have to have two different connectors on the end of your stuff.

just cut off the tamiya plug, strip off 1/4" of insulation from the wires, PRE-TIN the bare wires and the +'s and -'s on the deans plugs(the short vert. & horiz. bars), and after you do that you don't need any solder, just apply the soldering tip to the PRE-TINNED WIRE OR PLUG and the heat brings the two together since both have solder on them. JUST REMEMBER!!-- TO PUT THE HEAT SHRINK WRAP ON THE WIRES (don't apply heat to shrink wrap yet!!) BEFORE YOU SOLDER THE PLUGS ON; THEN GO AHEAD AND PULL THE SHRINK WRAP OVER YOUR SOLDERED CONNECTORS & APPLY HEAT TO THE SHRINK WRAP via HAIR DRYER. that's it , you should have a perfect and solid plug connector.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.