R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2004, 09:03 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
I do know how to drive And I don't use brakes anyway...Who does?

A one-way on an open track sounds like a shoddy choice...Wouldn't you want the steering LESS sensitive...I can actually understand why you'd want it on a techy layout (that is if you can keep the back end under your car)

I DO HAVE EXPEREIENCE WITH ONE-WAYS....Or else I wouldn't say they suck
ONE WAYS WERE INVENTED FOR LARGE OPEN TRACKS!!!!!!!!

Always use a one-way when you need more top-end and when there is enough grip. If you have trouble with your car getting twitchy when using a one-way, CHANGE YOUR SETUP!!!!!
Do you realy think you can make such a big change on your car and not change set-up? Where did you learn to drive?

To Punkynut, If you realy want to know what the fast guys do, go over and have a look at their cars. Just check if they use a one-way, and if they do, buy one to. I know from experience that a TA04 reacts well, speed wise, to a one-way. One small remark tough, A Tamiya TA04 will never be as fast as a TC3. If you were to switch to a "415" or an "Evo3" then you can go as fast as them.

Regards
Hardriven RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:07 AM   #32
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ixlr8nz
I used to think the same as black Kat but have since made suspension changes to suit and now can get understeer with a one way and using a very low frequency and lots of drag brake. Its just a matter of getting your weight transfer sorted eg dont have too much weight transfer to the front when you let off, also roll centres make a big difference to how the car handles. Once you have that sorted you will find big gains in lap times as your car will be more efficient and have more steering.

Mike
What car/setup are you using?

If I stiffen the front will that help with my loosing of the rear end w/the one way?
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:56 AM   #33
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Hardriven RC
ONE WAYS WERE INVENTED FOR LARGE OPEN TRACKS!!!!!!!!

Always use a one-way when you need more top-end and when there is enough grip. If you have trouble with your car getting twitchy when using a one-way, CHANGE YOUR SETUP!!!!!
Do you realy think you can make such a big change on your car and not change set-up? Where did you learn to drive?

To Punkynut, If you realy want to know what the fast guys do, go over and have a look at their cars. Just check if they use a one-way, and if they do, buy one to. I know from experience that a TA04 reacts well, speed wise, to a one-way. One small remark tough, A Tamiya TA04 will never be as fast as a TC3. If you were to switch to a "415" or an "Evo3" then you can go as fast as them.

Regards

Your final remark about the T0a4 vs TC3 is well-taken, however, the fast guys also have...erhmm....what you call...er...ATTITUDE. I'll rather upgrade my pc to WindowsXP before I ask them. Thats why you guys are here see. I ask a question, you guys answer and help, and then you guys start a fight over a one-way. All in a days work.

Moir appreciate all your advice, me off now, its 07:00 pm, just no my boss thinks I'm working.
Punkynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:25 AM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

punky nutt, i dont you should look at disagreement so negatively , i know it looks bad as first but if you look beyond that , if every body agreed on everything, it wouldnt be much of an answer, but since there are disagreement , you can see how one person thinks this and that while the other thinks otherwise, then you can make a better decision for yourself . But anywho gluck and have fun, track looks amazing.
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:40 AM   #35
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Punkynutt - Just walk up to somenes car and ask them what tires they are running(while there car is on a stand*wheels off the ground*), while doing so absent mindedly flick the front tires in a foward rotaing direction, if it spins they have a oneway. If they get pissed at you apologise and move on.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:18 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Black Kat: I just did the following to make mine work with a one way(tc3): Used less droop on the back (all round for that matter) to stop the weight transfer to the front. If you are running rubbers use the lower outer camber link hole on the back shock tower and the outer hole on the hub carrier. use the outer top hole on the front. Most of the time I use the std springs or close to it for most tracks. You may need to use a thicker shock oil as well if your car is still twichy as this will slow down the reactions of the car. Speed control frequency and drag brake makes a huge difference too. You may want to start out with less drag brake and a higher frequency and work down until you start getting too much oversteer.

Mike

Last edited by ixlr8nz; 05-28-2004 at 06:28 PM.
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 08:17 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Punkynutt - I tested some putnam green brushes today, dam they are awsome(better then 4505's imo). I ran purple+, red- springs and power was sick, but on a track your size red/red may work better due to less friction. However with this setup you'll be cutting your comm every few runs(the brushes still have serrations after 5 runs though and are in good condition).
Old 05-29-2004, 09:15 PM   #38
Tech Master

Wow....I rest my case agianst the one-way

I still think its not for all tracks but it was good & consistant today

Needless to say, I'm running an Evo3...therefore I need a new one-way gear (It'll be a while)
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 12:32 AM   #39
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnytc3
punky nutt, i dont you should look at disagreement so negatively , i know it looks bad as first but if you look beyond that , if every body agreed on everything, it wouldnt be much of an answer, but since there are disagreement , you can see how one person thinks this and that while the other thinks otherwise, then you can make a better decision for yourself . But anywho gluck and have fun, track looks amazing.
Incorrect Johnnytc3, I do not take disagreement negatively, I was mocking the fact that, sometimes we start off trying to advise on one area and end up discussing another, just like now. Its testamanet to the fact that we love talking about the things we love.

Keep on, thanks
Old 05-31-2004, 12:33 AM   #40
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
Punkynutt - Just walk up to somenes car and ask them what tires they are running(while there car is on a stand*wheels off the ground*), while doing so absent mindedly flick the front tires in a foward rotaing direction, if it spins they have a oneway. If they get pissed at you apologise and move on.

My kinda style, will do just that
Old 05-31-2004, 12:38 AM   #41
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
Punkynutt - I tested some putnam green brushes today, dam they are awsome(better then 4505's imo). I ran purple+, red- springs and power was sick, but on a track your size red/red may work better due to less friction. However with this setup you'll be cutting your comm every few runs(the brushes still have serrations after 5 runs though and are in good condition).
I havent even tried the 4505 yet, my order just arrived. I'll try the putnams, but having no access to a lathe (again, this meens having to either invest in one or ask the dude at the track-he cool-though) I need brushess that are not too heavy on the comm. I've heard the 4505 cross-cut is okay.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:36 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Check out the stock motor thread. Brian McGreevy and a few others have posted some helpful brush setups and info.

As far as lathes, if you are going to stay with brushes motors having a lathe is nice. High silver brushes like the 4505's, putnams and others do wear the comm quickly, but should give better performance.