R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-27-2004, 01:16 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by stumper
I would try a one-way also. That track looks huge and would benefit from it. And Im pretty sure he running in Stock so a 19t is out of the question.
The Black Cat, stumper

Thank you too. This track is home to some serious racing. We race 1/5 scale trucks/cars here also, PAN, 1/12, 200/235mm nitro, 19T and modified. This all from one club.EVERY modified racer either uses a Peak Vantage or Team Orion Revolution motor. Most of them have been racing for 10+ years, so it caters for amazing races.

I intend racing 19T during our Summer season, might just get a TRF415, but for now, the finances dictate Superstock.

Nobody here uses a front-one-way at all, I think.....will check.

Weirdly, we dumped tire traction (too expesive) and use Johnson&Johnson Baby Lotion. Works magic, beleive it or not !!!
Punkynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:38 AM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Punkynutt
I intend racing 19T during our Summer season, might just get a TRF415, but for now, the finances dictate Superstock.

Nobody here uses a front-one-way at all, I think.....will check.

Weirdly, we dumped tire traction (too expesive) and use Johnson&Johnson Baby Lotion. Works magic, beleive it or not !!!
You kidding me? 19t is cheaper (atleast here in the states) You get one or two good motors from the LHS for $30 a piece instead of 2 or 3 race tuned for $45 a piece

Plus 19t builds driving skill better IMO....closer, faster, better racing

I forget what a bevel diff is, try to get a ball diff for the front....

How does it handle....Try running some rubber tires, I haven't found foam to work very well outdoor. I don't know what the weather is like there but the CS-27 & CS-32 from Take-Off & the 28 & 36R's from Team Sorex are the popular outdoor tires in the US
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:52 AM   #18
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
Nice track......We need one of those around here....

I dissagree with whoever says go one-way....unless you aleady know you like it or a BUNCH of local guys use it...I prefer diff on a big layout like that

Spool would work better,

Only reason you dont like oneways Daniel is because you blow every line you take into a corner with it. If you learned how to drive then maybe you could use it to your advantage. You only prefer the spool because of brakes. Learn to give real advice because you actually have experience with what your talking about.Oneway on a big wide open track would be most peoples choice around here.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:13 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

going to a one-way would help alot.

also unless the track has absolutly no traction at all i wouldn't run 35's all round.. you'll just be adding alot of rolling resistance with no real gains.

if foams are what the fast guys are using, don't even bother trying rubbers as they can be upto and over a seccond a lap slower on some tracks.

on a high bite asphalt track 40 fronts and 40 rears (26mm wide both ends) is a good starting point.. 42's if there is alot of grip/abrasion.

you'll not only get more runs on a set of tyres, but you'll also be quicker not only on the straight but in the corners too.

your motors will be alot happier too.

other than that.. yeah, make sure the drive train is as free as possible. a very slight bind can cause all sorts of overheating for motors.
tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:47 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to hicheef
Default Get an 1/8th scale...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Thats a big track!!!!
hicheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Also if your running foams cut them down a bit if possible. Maybe to 62mm, that way you'll have less rotating mass. A one-way will also help a crud load during accelleration because both front wheels will pull you through the corner. You'll also have more steering which gives you the ability to run different lines easier.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:17 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

nice track
Old 05-27-2004, 06:00 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by racenut123
Only reason you dont like oneways Daniel is because you blow every line you take into a corner with it. If you learned how to drive then maybe you could use it to your advantage. You only prefer the spool because of brakes. Learn to give real advice because you actually have experience with what your talking about.Oneway on a big wide open track would be most peoples choice around here.
I do know how to drive And I don't use brakes anyway...Who does?

A one-way on an open track sounds like a shoddy choice...Wouldn't you want the steering LESS sensitive...I can actually understand why you'd want it on a techy layout (that is if you can keep the back end under your car)

I DO HAVE EXPEREIENCE WITH ONE-WAYS....Or else I wouldn't say they suck
Old 05-27-2004, 06:13 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

Quote:
I do know how to drive And I don't use brakes anyway...Who does?
From that comment You seem like those people who think jamming the throttle gets you around the track faster than letting go and taking it easy.I guess You don't know how to drive propertly yet.
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:27 PM   #25
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by racenut123
Only reason you dont like oneways Daniel is because you blow every line you take into a corner with it.
Yes I do.....

I jam the throttle when I have enough traction to do so

I admit I'm a little heavier on the throttle than most people but I'm not on it all the time

I just let off a sufficient amount rather than using the brakes. Or let the electric motor's natural drag brake work its wonders by letting off completely rather than using any brake. If I brake (espesically with a one-way) I either lock em up or it results in slower lap times
Old 05-27-2004, 07:40 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

.... you'll especially want to run a one-way on big, wide, open tracks.
tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #27
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

The Black Kat - Just because you can't drive with a one-way it doesn't mean they suck. I've run a one-way on tracks about 1/8th the size of punkynutt's in stock and it has worked well, but when you get to a large track, a ball diff won't pull you around a sweeper or out of corners the way a one-way will. Most of the time I adjust steering with compound and steering dual rates(imo the most important radio feature other then trim). I never run my car at 100% dual rates even when on a techniqual layout because a one-way gives you heaps of steering without the wheels having to go to full throw. It's much easier to run at just enough dual rates to get around the corner and a touch more incase you stuff a line. If your wheels have to go to full throw you get more wheel scrub, more drag so your lap times will be slower. In stock braking isn't necessary in most cases so a oneway will give you less drag again becuase the motor isn't effecting the front wheels. A dual diff car will always slow quicker then a car with a front one-way if you just let off the throttle becuase only the rears are braking.

Now as far as braking when you go to mod you WILL use brakes on alot of tracks. Mod motors don't slow like stockers when you let off the throttle, they just keep going. On my Xr2 radio I have a brake feature that lets be tone down braking from 125% to 0%, this is what you would use if you have a one way and need to brake. Adjust so that your car will brake hard and but not so hard it locks up. If your running on low tracion adjusting your driving style so you brake in a straight line and then roll/power around the corner. I think your main problem is just setup, imo you have to spend months tuning to get a setup that works well for you. It took me all winter to get a setup that runs really well at my local track and I'm still adjusting it further. As I've said before you shouldn't say something is crap because you havn't learnt to use it to your advantage...
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:14 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Quote:
You kidding me? 19t is cheaper (atleast here in the states) You get one or two good motors from the LHS for $30 a piece instead of 2 or 3 race tuned for $45 a piece

Plus 19t builds driving skill better IMO....closer, faster, better racing

I forget what a bevel diff is, try to get a ball diff for the front....

How does it handle....Try running some rubber tires, I haven't found foam to work very well outdoor. I don't know what the weather is like there but the CS-27 & CS-32 from Take-Off & the 28 & 36R's from Team Sorex are the popular outdoor tires in the US
Thank you people for the advice

Black Cat, my comment suggests that I dont have money to buy a TRf415 right now. I did not say stock is cheaper than 19T. In terms of motor prices, I order from Towerhobbies as 90% of RC goods in South Africa is about 30-40% more than importing directly from the US. It does seem that the 19Ts that Tower keeps costs a little more than stock, must verify that.

Play nice now, don't fight too much about the "one-way".
Old 05-28-2004, 12:24 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
The Black Kat - Just because you can't drive with a one-way it doesn't mean they suck. I've run a one-way on tracks about 1/8th the size of punkynutt's in stock and it has worked well, but when you get to a large track, a ball diff won't pull you around a sweeper or out of corners the way a one-way will. Most of the time I adjust steering with compound and steering dual rates(imo the most important radio feature other then trim). I never run my car at 100% dual rates even when on a techniqual layout because a one-way gives you heaps of steering without the wheels having to go to full throw. It's much easier to run at just enough dual rates to get around the corner and a touch more incase you stuff a line. If your wheels have to go to full throw you get more wheel scrub, more drag so your lap times will be slower. In stock braking isn't necessary in most cases so a oneway will give you less drag again becuase the motor isn't effecting the front wheels. A dual diff car will always slow quicker then a car with a front one-way if you just let off the throttle becuase only the rears are braking.

Now as far as braking when you go to mod you WILL use brakes on alot of tracks. Mod motors don't slow like stockers when you let off the throttle, they just keep going. On my Xr2 radio I have a brake feature that lets be tone down braking from 125% to 0%, this is what you would use if you have a one way and need to brake. Adjust so that your car will brake hard and but not so hard it locks up. If your running on low tracion adjusting your driving style so you brake in a straight line and then roll/power around the corner. I think your main problem is just setup, imo you have to spend months tuning to get a setup that works well for you. It took me all winter to get a setup that runs really well at my local track and I'm still adjusting it further. As I've said before you shouldn't say something is crap because you havn't learnt to use it to your advantage...
This is a good comment, why ?. Well I wanted too make my car fast and all of us suggested what we needed to replace and tune on the car itself, and here comes fatdoggy and talks about the radio. I have a JR XS3 and I don't even use half of the features.

I know my driving aint bad. Have only started racing this year, my competitors have been for 10+years (yes yes I know I keep on saying this) but I am currently leading the Nitro 1/10 standings with my NTC3.

Will re-evaluate my Xs3 setup for my TA04 and try again.

Thank YAH
Old 05-28-2004, 01:17 AM   #30
Tech Addict

I used to think the same as black Kat but have since made suspension changes to suit and now can get understeer with a one way and using a very low frequency and lots of drag brake. Its just a matter of getting your weight transfer sorted eg dont have too much weight transfer to the front when you let off, also roll centres make a big difference to how the car handles. Once you have that sorted you will find big gains in lap times as your car will be more efficient and have more steering.

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote