R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2002, 10:12 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 19 turn Chameleon 2 or Reedy

We are going to start racing 19 turn motors and was wondering which of these two was better. Track is medium size with high bite.

Any response appreciated
Ill Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:48 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Ovalman19

I race oval, and the Chameleon 2 is now the standard for 4cell 19turn, it is a very good motor. The Reedy is an ok practice motor, but I don't think it is nearly as good as the Chameleon 2.
Ovalman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:58 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

I recently bought a 19t strike motor from Pro-Match, and I must say it rocks. It was only 24.99, a good deal for the money.
Ras Thavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 05:39 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use the Reedy Spec 19t at my track in 1/12 on-road against some very fast Chamelion 2's. I am undefeated. Experimented with some brush cuts and had it faster than my 12x2. Had to work on the 12x2 after that.
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 08:05 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

You are going to have to look at 3 different 19 turn motors. We all know about the Chameleon 2 motor. Most of the oval guys I talk to say the quality control of these motors needs help. Take it for what it is worth as they were running the 1st edition of this motor and with those you could crank the arm.

Rumor has it there will be a new Reedy 19 turn out but when I don't exactly know. The nice thing about the Reedy motor is that you can buy them with bushings or with bearings. I am not sure if the new one will be available that way.

ARCOR, is a group of people who decided to come up with a 19 turn motor rule and run them in 4 cell oval. That motor is completely different than the ones listed above. It is, I am led to believe, hand wound in a modified can. So you get adjustable timing and a quality hand wound arm that is also tagged. This motor is only available from Fantom right now but I expect other motors companies to jump in the fire but not sure if Reedy or Trinity will. This motor might be a little too advanced for some people new to the hobby but you know you are getting a good motor to start with unlike with the others.

Ok, now I have said too much.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 08:22 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kraig - please recheck your information. The 19t motor from Fantom that I am aware of is actually the Reedy Spec 19t. Fantom may be working on a special spec motor for a particular series, but I don't see that as being a candidate for this discussion. Also, look at the Associated webpage under Reedy MVP stock motors. That is were they list their 19t spec motor. It has been available for several years. Your post didn't acknowledge that.
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 08:46 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

In my experience the original Chameleon has been putting out better numbers then the 2's that I have. But as was already said the 1's can be cranked, so they are not legal in some series.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 10:44 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

i just got a reedy 19 turn that i'm using in my xxx-s. any suggestions on brush and spring combo?
diesel31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 12:03 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

David, I was just going by what was posted on the conference. Not sure if you follow that board because it is a pay to play site. Here is the basic of what was posted.

"The ARCOR 19T Modified is just that, modified. The only thing that makes it a "spec" motor, is that it must meet the specifications and be tagged 19 turns. The timing is adjustable, ball bearings, stand up brushes. Just like any modified motor." I think the wire has to be a specific size as well but I don't have the specifications on that. I guess this motor is based on the Ti motor. There might even be an Epic based motor but I don't know if it will come from Fantom.

I could have sworn that Big Jim mentioned that they are working on a new 19 turn motor as well as the new stock motor. I looked on his website and he has quit selling the one that is already made. I was just trying to put 2 and 2 together. Like I tried to say, I don't know when or if a new 19 turn will be available from Reedy.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:08 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Hey guys at the Reedy Race they will be using 19turn Spec Reedy Motors!! Any tips on Tuning??
rto997 is offline   Reply With Quote