Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Portable Generator Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You want quiet- get the Honda 2000.Need more power get the Honda 3300. You'll appreciate the quiet as time goes by.My next generator will be the Honda 2000. Presently I've got a 5000 Honda with more power than I need.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:12 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The Honda generators are nice and quiet but does that really matter when there are 5 Coleman 1850s running right next to you? You're gonna pay top dollar to have a quiet generator just to be drowned out. Save the money and get a Coleman
Old 05-24-2004, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Bill let me know about the offer you tendered in Ocala a few weekends ago.

John
Old 05-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We run our generator off of at least 50 foot of cord, keeps the noise down. If you loop your cord thought the handle you'll know if someone tryin' to steal it. We have 3 guys runnin' off of one Coleman 1850, we share an iron and a 30 amp Rivergate power supply run a couple of fans all with no probs. If you've got the jack a Honda or Yamaha would be nice.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Coleman Vs Honda

ok ... from talking with the honda dealer here in town .. the honda generators max out at the labeled wattage ... My 1850 runs at 1900 constantly I have metered the current and voltage output and done the math ... and spikes up to 3500 watts per the book ... thats the difference ... I can handle more of a current spike from say a fridge and furnace turning on at once .. a honda would click out at that .. too much current draw ... thats the big difference ... and the noise ... but then living in the sticks like I do .. the neighbors without generators always ask to use My extra freezer space or to come over in the winter when the powers out ... so they dont mind the noise ... they are warm or keeping the food cold ... or both ... and racing .. where I run ... only one person has a honda ... the rest have colemans .... so noise isnt an issue ...

have fun racing

E
Old 05-25-2004, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Big KAT
We run our generator off of at least 50 foot of cord, keeps the noise down. If you loop your cord thought the handle you'll know if someone tryin' to steal it. We have 3 guys runnin' off of one Coleman 1850, we share an iron and a 30 amp Rivergate power supply run a couple of fans all with no probs. If you've got the jack a Honda or Yamaha would be nice.
50 foot cord, you got it! which would you rather spend $5.00 more for a longer cord, and get the Coleman, or $500 more and get a honda?
Old 05-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Tech Initiate

6500 watt Onan powers everything in the motorhome, and 3 power supplies.