Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by clayrace24
I don't know much about the organization running the event on the 18th, but alot of those guys racing are dads, who are expected to spend some quality time with the family on Fathers Day. Any chance of racing on the 17h instead?

Clay
It's actually on the 19th. As a Dad myself, this is quality time and where I would want to spend my Father's Day. Just my .02.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Nice paint!

That is a great find because you can't get it anymore. I was the only one running it until now.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

They have another one of the Porsche at that LHS (Graves RC, Orlando) with a pink, green, and white paint scheme. I can take pics if anyone is interested.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by simplechamp
They have another one of the Porsche at that LHS (Graves RC, Orlando) with a pink, green, and white paint scheme. I can take pics if anyone is interested.
Graves is where I picked up the Viper, they must have bought a lot of GT lids.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

I just happened to see the 3 hanging on the wall: the one I bought, the other Porsche, and a Viper painted black with a snake scales and eyes paint scheme at the front. It looks pretty cool, just not really my style.

Surprised they have the selection of GT bodies they do. When I went to Kissimmee Raceway I was the only one with a GT, and everyone I talked to said they didn't really know anyone else who ran them.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

I had an idea today. What do you guys think about replacing the rear chassis brace with a shock absorber? Like if you used a very firm spring, small hole piston, and heavy oil (diff oil?). The idea being to allow more flex and make it tunable.

Do you think it would be too weak and allow the chassis to get bent? Or in my case with a CF chassis, broken? Would the added flex even be beneficial, or is it better to have a stiffer chassis?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

There is not a GT body in any hobby shop in Houston... and probably never was.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

I had an idea today. What do you guys think about replacing the rear chassis brace with a shock absorber? Like if you used a very firm spring, small hole piston, and heavy oil (diff oil?). The idea being to allow more flex and make it tunable.

Do you think it would be too weak and allow the chassis to get bent? Or in my case with a CF chassis, broken? Would the added flex even be beneficial, or is it better to have a stiffer chassis?
I was thinking about the samething,but coulding find a spring stiff enough to even match the stock plastic brace..........
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Need a little help please.

I'm new to 1/8, not RC. Looking to pick up a Ofna GTP 2 E for my son and I to play around with.

I would like to ask advice on electronics, ESC, Motor and servo. Not looking for race grade, but not cheap crap either. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Joat
I was thinking about the samething,but coulding find a spring stiff enough to even match the stock plastic brace..........
The way I'm picturing it, the shock might not even need a spring? I mean, the chassis is already wanting to return to it's normal shape after flexing (to a point of course), it acts like a heavy spring. Using a real thick diff oil (10k wt? 50-10k?) in the shock should allow (relatively) slow and small flex movements like in high speed cornering, but prevent the chassis from flexing too far, too fast like in a crash. Basically taking the damping effect of a shock absorber and making it extreme.

Of course, this is just my theory, how it behaves may very well be totally different. I have a few of the older style Ofna 13mm shocks laying around, might experiment with them a bit and see how they behave.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Tech Adept

The way I'm picturing it, the shock might not even need a spring? I mean, the chassis is already wanting to return to it's normal shape after flexing (to a point of course), it acts like a heavy spring. Using a real thick diff oil (10k wt? 50-10k?) in the shock should allow (relatively) slow and small flex movements like in high speed cornering, but prevent the chassis from flexing too far, too fast like in a crash. Basically taking the damping effect of a shock absorber and making it extreme.

Of course, this is just my theory, how it behaves may very well be totally different. I have a few of the older style Ofna 13mm shocks laying around, might experiment with them a bit and see how they behave.
I was thinking spring since without any support the chassis is gonna flex alot, carbon and 4mm not as much as the stocker,I think with the carbon one you could probably get away with a shock body only.
I think using the traxxas mod in the shock might be even a good idea, at least you control the return or compression?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Since that part of the chassis isn't a pivot point, Like say a pan car. IMHO the effect of the shock would be negligible. The chassis will flex there, but how much would it have to flex in order for the rebound of the shock (w/o a spring) to do anything? To try it, I believe the weight would be like 500k diff oil or something similar. There's f/r flex as well as side to side (twist).

I think an easier test is to remove the rear brace and drive it. Note the handling characteristics and see if it's better or worse.

I've never tried it, but it'd be interesting to hear your results. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kcunamay
Since that part of the chassis isn't a pivot point, Like say a pan car. IMHO the effect of the shock would be negligible. The chassis will flex there, but how much would it have to flex in order for the rebound of the shock (w/o a spring) to do anything? To try it, I believe the weight would be like 500k diff oil or something similar. There's f/r flex as well as side to side (twist).

I think an easier test is to remove the rear brace and drive it. Note the handling characteristics and see if it's better or worse.

I've never tried it, but it'd be interesting to hear your results. Good luck!
I tried it when I had the stock blue chassis and was nitro powered, I suck as a driver, but I did notice that the car seemed to have a lot less control when hitting a quick left to right transition? and I know when braking hard the rear tires would skip,but that is back in the day tires have come along way, I was using medial tarmac 2's
Old 06-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone

I'm new to 1/8, not RC. Looking to pick up a Ofna GTP 2 E for my son and I to play around with.

I would like to ask advice on electronics, ESC, Motor and servo. Not looking for race grade, but not cheap crap either. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Cheap price would be the hobby wing. Alot of guys are using the castle system or the Tekin.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwoTone

Thanks
I use a Tekin setup for electronics and ACE servo.

Here is my converted OFNA DM-1 Spec with parts listed if it helps.

http://www.rccoh.com/rc.how-to/dm-1....onversion.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.