Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TYLORD
I have a question for everyone.....

Question is, would more people like to see the GT1/DM-1 Spec/GTP2 wheelbase or the GT2? I have a feeling sales would be better to go with the shorter wheelbase.
Is it possible to do something that falls between the IGT1/GTP and the DM1-S/IGT2 wheelbase with enough "fender area" that the openings a can be fudged either way? I think the IGT2 is closer to the DM1-S wheelbase but I haven't had the chance to compare them side by side.

I have a IGT1 and DM1-S and the difference in wheelbase is about 1/2" roughly. So if people could adjust the opening by 1/4" on each end something like that might work.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danketchpel
Is it possible to do something that falls between the IGT1/GTP and the DM1-S/IGT2 wheelbase with enough "fender area" that the openings a can be fudged either way? I think the IGT2 is closer to the DM1-S wheelbase but I haven't had the chance to compare them side by side.

I have a IGT1 and DM1-S and the difference in wheelbase is about 1/2" roughly. So if people could adjust the opening by 1/4" on each end something like that might work.
I like this idea, and if I were producing a non-licensed body, this would work, like with the Warrior body. I think with a licensed body the detail is very important, fenders and all. SO may not work. I guess it all depends on how the approval process goes. I will talk to the mold maker about this. Thanks for the idea.............

I think sticking with the 1/8 buggy wheelbase would be most beneficial from a customer's standpoint and for sales.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snrscion
The rules didn't say anything about running stock chassis.
Just don't run the point series in SD.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

I like this idea, and if I were producing a non-licensed body, this would work, like with the Warrior body. I think with a licensed body the detail is very important, fenders and all. SO may not work. I guess it all depends on how the approval process goes. I will talk to the mold maker about this. Thanks for the idea.............

I think sticking with the 1/8 buggy wheelbase would be most beneficial from a customer's standpoint and for sales.
I am happy to see there are manufacturers willing to help this class to grow. I see a very bright future for this class. I can't wait to run again at Surf City!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

[QUOTE=markw;8105909]Just don't run the point series in SD. [/QUOTE

What you don't like racing against me I am the slow one. David S is the fast guy at OFNA he is on FIRE AND SMOKING FAST.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=snrscion;8106353]
Originally Posted by markw
Just don't run the point series in SD. [/QUOTE

What you don't like racing against me I am the slow one. David S is the fast guy at OFNA he is on FIRE AND SMOKING FAST.
I was refering to the big stink over not allowing aftermarket or home brew chassis in the upcoming SC truck series they'll be running in SD.

Being a back marker and racing against faster guys only makes you faster.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=markw;8106465]
Originally Posted by snrscion

I was refering to the big stink over not allowing aftermarket or home brew chassis in the upcoming SC truck series they'll be running in SD.

Being a back marker and racing against faster guys only makes you faster.
At this point, i see no reason to limit anything until we have enough people to actually separate the class. The way i see it, the only thing i'd like to enforce right now is GT Type Bodies(no Lola 8th scale bodies) and Foam tires. Other than that, lets have FUN and maybe have some sorta dinner/meeting after the race and hang out. Us GT8 peeps need to stick together!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=charlie_b;8106509]

At this point, i see no reason to limit anything until we have enough people to actually separate the class. The way i see it, the only thing i'd like to enforce right now is GT Type Bodies(no Lola 8th scale bodies) and Foam tires. Other than that, lets have FUN and maybe have some sorta dinner/meeting after the race and hang out. Us GT8 peeps need to stick together!
What is considered a Lola 8th Scale body?? Are you referring to the DM-1 Spec Stock body by Protoform?? If so, what will fit the DM-1 Spec, so I can start looking around. A part number would be great so there's no doubt as to what I need to get. Looking forward to coming up to Corona in November from San Dog, so I'd hate to be sent home packing. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

[QUOTE=FangsCPO;8106616]
Originally Posted by charlie_b

What is considered a Lola 8th Scale body?? Are you referring to the DM-1 Spec Stock body by Protoform?? If so, what will fit the DM-1 Spec, so I can start looking around. A part number would be great so there's no doubt as to what I need to get. Looking forward to coming up to Corona in November from San Dog, so I'd hate to be sent home packing. Thanks!
LOLA style bodies are like the 1/8th on road bodies that look like a wedge.

The GT (grand touring) style bodies are ones that look/resemble real cars that are raced in full 1:1 events. Pretty much all the Kyosho bodies and some of the EUR bodies also available. The PF8 kinda resembles a 350Z to me, isn't exactly a copy of a 1:1 car, but I don't have a prob with it running. As you stated the body is standard issue with the DM1-S along with the GTP2E and works great.

We'd never send a racer packing!!! GT8 rocks!! Make the trip up. You'll have a blast!

Last edited by kcunamay; 10-22-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=FangsCPO;8106616]
Originally Posted by charlie_b

No worries man...even if you did, i wouldn't send you home! We are here to have fun. Im merely stating some guidelines so we are all on the same page. Here is a LOLA body. As u can see, there would be a clear advantage on aero dynamics.

Here are some GT-Style bodies.
Ferrari look

Altima look

Audi

Aston Martin

Audi R8

McLaren

Corvette

I hopethis helps.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have a question for everyone.....

My company is in the process of getting licensing for two existing GT cars currently competing in the Super GT series in Japan. The deal is coming together and I have found our manufacturer. Question is, would more people like to see the GT1/DM-1 Spec/GTP2 wheelbase or the GT2? I have a feeling sales would be better to go with the shorter wheelbase. The mold fees are very expensive, so the same design in two different wheelbases is not do-able.

Any input is appreciated...
OUTSTANDING!! I think the buggy based wheelbases would appeal to a larger crowd.

I see the IGT2 wheel based bodies looking more realistic however the PF8 body, although not a real representation of a real car, looks proportionately correct.

My vote gets buggy based with a proportionately correct looking body.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW if you need any beta testers!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Man I wish I lived there so I could race with you guy's!!! I feel like I'm all alone here in TX although I'm not. It's not like Cali.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=charlie_b;8106728]
Originally Posted by FangsCPO

No worries man...even if you did, i wouldn't send you home! We are here to have fun. Im merely stating some guidelines so we are all on the same page. Here is a LOLA body. As u can see, there would be a clear advantage on aero dynamics.

I hopethis helps.
Crystal clear now! I never cared much for the LOLA Body, up until now, I didn't know that's what you guys called it. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

[QUOTE=charlie_b;8106509]

+1

I see no reason to limit a class that is so small. Keeping it fun is what will keep me interested. The technology is also still somewhat new, and we are still trying out different electronic setups, car setups, etc. In my opinion, we still need to find out what really works, and what doesn't. Until then, lets keep it open, CF chassis and all
Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Addict

This hobby is all about building expensive toys and having fun with. That's the way I look at it. Having a good time playing with our expensinve toys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.