Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by simplechamp
I ran into a small issue with my build tonight and wonder if anyone can help.

I mounted up the shocks for the first time, just to test fit and get an idea of mounting positions, ride height, droop, etc. The problem is that there is no droop. The car doesn't "settle in" at all when put on the ground, not even 1mm. The wheels stay at the same height as if you had it lifted off the ground.

I did this test with lipos, motor, ESC, servo, and RX all in the vehicle, so aside from the body it was at RTR weight. I am using springs that are about 28 lb/in with the shock collars adjusted all the way to the top of the shock. Now to me this says the springs are too firm, but I spent A LOT of time researching spring rates for 1/8 on-road and everything I found tells me that 28 lb/in is on the soft end of the spectrum, and that some people use springs going up to 40-60 lb/in or even higher in some cases. That is why I am confused. The numbers always seemed high to me, but everything I found said that was what to use. But now I try it and it seems to firm.

Any insight is appreciated. I have some springs on the way that are between 18-25 lb/in so I guess I should try those next?
Check your sway bars, maybe too tight or placed wrong. Check your "set screw" on your lower arms. Aside from that, I can think of what could be wrong. Good Luck!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Can you post a pic?

I ran into a small issue with my build tonight and wonder if anyone can help.

I mounted up the shocks for the first time, just to test fit and get an idea of mounting positions, ride height, droop, etc. The problem is that there is no droop. The car doesn't "settle in" at all when put on the ground, not even 1mm. The wheels stay at the same height as if you had it lifted off the ground.

I did this test with lipos, motor, ESC, servo, and RX all in the vehicle, so aside from the body it was at RTR weight. I am using springs that are about 28 lb/in with the shock collars adjusted all the way to the top of the shock. Now to me this says the springs are too firm, but I spent A LOT of time researching spring rates for 1/8 on-road and everything I found tells me that 28 lb/in is on the soft end of the spectrum, and that some people use springs going up to 40-60 lb/in or even higher in some cases. That is why I am confused. The numbers always seemed high to me, but everything I found said that was what to use. But now I try it and it seems to firm.

Any insight is appreciated. I have some springs on the way that are between 18-25 lb/in so I guess I should try those next?

I'm guessing that the REVO shocks you used are too long perhaps? Or it might be that the geometry of the IGT shock tower coupled with your JAMMIN arms (bottom hole for shock mount) may be different, standing the shocks up more?

Post pics of it mounted and we may be able to help you out.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Phille’s Ipanema GT Warrior from Stockholm Sweden!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Tech Adept

So is it really CF and if so, how in the heck do you press/weave that or is just a thin layer applied to the body?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Missle
So is it really CF and if so, how in the heck do you press/weave that or is just a thin layer applied to the body?
I don't know how he did it, but it sure looks radical don't it?
Attached Thumbnails GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-philles-ipanema-warrior-gt-racing-body-close-up-front.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jspeed
I don't know how he did it, but it sure looks radical don't it?
I see. I thought it was one of your high-tech bodies
Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Missle
carbon vinyl wrap
Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
Those are Max Velocity shock towers, I found out about your shock towers after the fact.
Oh ok I like to take care of the West Coast guys over here. Us Navy Vet. need to take care of each other.

Steve
Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
Check your sway bars, maybe too tight or placed wrong. Check your "set screw" on your lower arms. Aside from that, I can think of what could be wrong. Good Luck!
Originally Posted by kcunamay
I'm guessing that the REVO shocks you used are too long perhaps? Or it might be that the geometry of the IGT shock tower coupled with your JAMMIN arms (bottom hole for shock mount) may be different, standing the shocks up more?

Post pics of it mounted and we may be able to help you out.
Thanks for the suggestions/ideas guys. I can comment on a few things.

The set screws on the lower arms were backed out and not touching the chassis, and also I didn't have the sway bars attached. So those can be ruled out. The Jammin arms are basically identical to Inferno arms (really the whole suspension is almost identical) so that can probably be ruled out as a problem too.

So that leaves the shock length, which is a possibility, but I don't think that's it either. The Revo shocks put the car at the proper ride height using the IGT towers, there just isn't any droop when setting the car down. Even if they were a bit too short or too long that would effect ride height, but the car should still droop a few mm when it's set down. But I could be overlooking something there, and I do admit I don't have much knowledge of suspension geometry.

I still am leaning to the spring rate being the issue. It makes sense that it would be the cause, the only reason I second guess that is because as I said before everything I've found said these springs were right. But maybe a few lb/in is all it takes to be too firm? Would the lower weight of the CF chassis be enough to require a moderately lighter spring? I guess I should weigh the thing RTR and get a comparison to your guys rides, like IGT, DM-1, GTP2e, etc.

I am going to wait and see what happens with a slightly lighter spring, and then if it's still an issue I will take some pics. Thanks again for the help guys!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Today I received my Ofna cam-type motor mount (OFN41125). It is supposed to be direct fit for the Jammin, but I needed 2 small washers on each side underneath the top plate. This motor mount can work for the DM-1 too since it has the same mounting hole pattern as the Jammin (may need a few washers also).

Overall the mount seems very solid, and the two M4 socket-head screws should clamp the cam in place without issue (I was a bit surprised that these screws were not included, have to provide them yourself). The cam itself mounts to the motor with two M3 flathead screws. Looks like there is a fair amount of adjustment available for different pinion sizes (although I don't think quite as much as my RCM mount), and the mount seems to favor smaller pinions and spurs.

I also received a bunch of springs today, so I need to do more testing with my suspension and see if I can get the droop figured out. Hopefully stepping down the firmness a bit will do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030246.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030247.jpg  
Old 02-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

treborwd22 you'd probably want to go with the Alpha R2 body and yes you're right on with the SWEEPS!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You'll like it very much treborwd22
Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Hooray, I officially have a roller! (I still need to adjust the shock settings, toe, camber, etc., so I do know they look a bit off)

I decided to go ahead and order the Max Velocity CF towers from Bill, and those along with the body should be here next week.
Attached Thumbnails GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030248.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030250.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030251.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030252.jpg  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hooray, I officially have a roller! (I still need to adjust the shock settings, toe, camber, etc., so I do know they look a bit off)

I decided to go ahead and order the Max Velocity CF towers from Bill, and those along with the body should be here next week.
That's come together nice man.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Thanks, I hope it drives as good as it looks, LOL!

Do I need to run sway bars in both front and rear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.