Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've ran them both, I personally don't like the mechanical brakes.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
So in your opinioin you'd choose electric braking/motor over mechanical brakes? Is it because of the drag brake feature you get with electric braking/motor?
For me the benefits of electric braking are;

1. Way simpler
2. Much stronger braking
3. No fade problems

Now you are aware that the mechanical brakes do reduce your motor temps?
Yes, I'm aware of that, but it does not seem to be much of an issue. It's really the same as running electric braking on 1/10 scale cars, just scaled up. Nobody runs mechanical brakes on 1/10 scale electric cars.

Maybe others will have different opinions but I really can't see any reason to mess with mechanical brakes on these cars. The motors are capable of equal braking torque as driving torque.

Just think of them as big 1/10 electric cars.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danketchpel

1. Way simpler
2. Much stronger braking
3. No fade problems

Yes, I'm aware of that, but it does not seem to be much of an issue. It's really the same as running electric braking on 1/10 scale cars, just scaled up. Nobody runs mechanical brakes on 1/10 scale electric cars.

Maybe others will have different opinions but I really can't see any reason to mess with mechanical brakes on these cars. The motors are capable of equal braking torque as driving torque.

Just think of them as big 1/10 electric cars.
+1!

If these motors have enough power to launch these 8 pound cars from a standing start, then they have plenty of power to slow them down and stop them. If the motor fries as a result of electric braking then the manufacturers need to improve the motors.

Personally I think the voltage you run has more effect on motor temps. I ran 5S and my motor did not even get over 100 degrees... and believe me I was using the brake a lot since I'm the newbie racer.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:05 AM

++++1
Old 10-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by danketchpel

1. Way simpler
2. Much stronger braking
3. No fade problems

I agree with your three reasons but I was swayed to mechanical brakes previously and they seem to do pretty well.

I see you have the DM-1 with the Tekin RX8 System...I think?? Are you using two speed or or a center diff? What gearing? ....and what diff wt lube are you using? Sorry to ask so many questions. I'm still in the trial an error phase but I gotta say, this beast is fast and when you get a few more together it's crazy.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

I agree with your three reasons but I was swayed to mechanical brakes previously and they seem to do pretty well.

I see you have the DM-1 with the Tekin RX8 System...I think?? Are you using two speed or or a center diff? What gearing? ....and what diff wt lube are you using? Sorry to ask so many questions. I'm still in the trial an error phase but I gotta say, this beast is fast and when you get a few more together it's crazy.
Fangs, I almost went the same direction as you did, even was going to run two speed to put less stress on the motor.

Then it dawned on me that if I have to go these two routes then these motors are not yet designed for such a purpose.

Well in fact they are and they do a fine job of handling it all.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Raman
Fangs, I almost went the same direction as you did, even was going to run two speed to put less stress on the motor.

Then it dawned on me that if I have to go these two routes then these motors are not yet designed for such a purpose.

Well in fact they are and they do a fine job of handling it all.
I'm going to start playing with the motor brakes again and see how it goes but I'm not too keen on the two speed. I had a two speed on something else many years ago and it drove me crazy. Too much hassle. How much drag brake are you using if any? What's your gearing?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Quote: Originally Posted by Raman Fangs, I almost went the same direction as you did, even was going to run two speed to put less stress on the motor. Then it dawned on me that if I have to go these two routes then these motors are not yet designed for such a purpose. Well in fact they are and they do a fine job of handling it all. I'm going to start playing with the motor brakes again and see how it goes but I'm not too keen on the two speed. I had a two speed on something else many years ago and it drove me crazy. Too much hassle. How much drag brake are you using if any? What's your gearing? __________________ Slash 4X4 PE - MMPro, TeknoRC M6 Drive shafts E-Revo Brushless Edition - Mamba Power Baby!! Losi 8ight-E Buggy TC-4 - Tekin RS Pro w/ Tekin Redline 17.5 OFNA DM-1 Spec Tekno BL Conversion - Tekin RX8 System
My gearing is based on a 1700 kv motor and 5s LiPo, so not sure if it will help you. Spur 44T and 18T pinion.

Drag brake I'll have to check with computer.. I pretty sure it's set to minimum. Current limit is way up though, close to 70% .. then again motor is a 1700 kv.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:00 PM

I run zero drag brake and set my epa on my radio to 65% brake. No need for so much brake, these BL motor stop the car on a dime. I run MMM with 2650 and 4s.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Since our favourite tyre for this class seems to be the PMT Rally 06, how about we start a petition for a new rim style :-)

ps I'm fluent in Italian.. so I can really get the point across!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 PM

Raman you saw my rims right? I got the unmounted tires and mounted on OFNA rims or I have a vinyl cutter I made some sticker of simulated rims to go over the dish rims.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Where did you get them unmounted?

They fit standard rims? I thought the were slightly smaller in diameter.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Raman
Since our favourite tyre for this class seems to be the PMT Rally 06, how about we start a petition for a new rim style :-)

ps I'm fluent in Italian.. so I can really get the point across!
Who carries these PMT Rally 06 tires???...premounted would be even better.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:51 PM

Who carries these PMT Rally 06 tires???...premounted would be even better.
fgsupply.com they are in LA ask for Angel tell him you run with SNR.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by snrscion
fgsupply.com they are in LA ask for Angel tell him you run with SNR.
its the one place I can actually walk to from where I live LOL. So they ordered you the tyres un mounted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.