Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Like Tree10Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Reply

Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 PM
  #2176  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (59)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,405
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by s.l.c. View Post
It was an awesome day of GT8 racing at HB, I couldn't believe how well i hang with some of the great talent that was there. If it wasn't for my 4S blowing up I could of accomplish my goal of finishing in the top three.

Ouch! What do you think caused it? Drawing too much due to gearing?
Raman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
  #2177  
Suspended
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Man, your body has a sharp edge on it somewhere.. you rolled a couple of times while I was turn marshaling and when I turned your car over, I cut my hand lol.
HaHa sorry about that, my body took a beating on that track.
s.l.c. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 PM
  #2178  
Suspended
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Ouch! What do you think caused it? Drawing too much due to gearing?
I did change the gearing from 14 to 16 but would that cause it to blow up?
s.l.c. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:40 PM
  #2179  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (59)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,405
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by s.l.c. View Post
I did change the gearing from 14 to 16 but would that cause it to blow up?
Over gearing can swell up batteries.. I learned that back with my first LiPo pack..had a 3.5R bl motor in my 1/10 scale and thought I had taken the FDR down sufficiently.. motor did not get hot at all, so I thought i was in good shape. Next day, the pack ballooned.. What happens is the ESC is trying to pull more than the battery is able to provide and it damages the cells. However that was when 20C was the highest discharge rate. These days were dealing with 40C or higher...

It could just be poor battery quality as well.

Unfortunately we don't have set guidlines like tc cars for FDRs with these cars... so its trial and error.
Raman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:03 PM
  #2180  
Suspended
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Over gearing can swell up batteries.. I learned that back with my first LiPo pack..had a 3.5R bl motor in my 1/10 scale and thought I had taken the FDR down sufficiently.. motor did not get hot at all, so I thought i was in good shape. Next day, the pack ballooned.. What happens is the ESC is trying to pull more than the battery is able to provide and it damages the cells. However that was when 20C was the highest discharge rate. These days were dealing with 40C or higher...

It could just be poor battery quality as well.

Unfortunately we don't have set guidlines like tc cars for FDRs with these cars... so its trial and error.
Am running a Tekin RX8 on a 2050 motor, NO boost or timing advance on my esc yet so I blame defective battery the battery was a 5300c 65 4S from Thunder Power tho
s.l.c. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:11 PM
  #2181  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 120
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by s.l.c. View Post
Am running a Tekin RX8 on a 2050 motor, NO boost or timing advance on my esc yet so I blame defective battery the battery was a 5300c 65 4S from Thunder Power tho
I thought it was a maxamps? TP or Maxamps might be worth seeing if they'll warranty that.

Mark
markw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:20 PM
  #2182  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (1)
 
charlie_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 9,852
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Results are in from Ht Corona! Awesome racing everyone! THankyou for your continues support! Congrats to JAi for being this month's KING of GT8!!!

HT CORONA RACE RESULTS
charlie_b is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 PM
  #2183  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (59)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,405
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by markw View Post
I thought it was a maxamps? TP or Maxamps might be worth seeing if they'll warranty that.

Mark
+1 Definitely try.
Raman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 AM
  #2184  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 134
Default

Originally Posted by jrz93 View Post
where did u get that rx/battery box????
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Radio-Box-Set

But I guess any Kyosho dealer can provide #IF504
dark_luna is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:47 AM
  #2185  
Suspended
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
+1 Definitely try.
I all ready got it replace from my HT on San Marcos.
s.l.c. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 AM
  #2186  
Tech Master
 
FangsCPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,085
Default

Originally Posted by charlie_b View Post
Results are in from Ht Corona! Awesome racing everyone! THankyou for your continues support! Congrats to JAi for being this month's KING of GT8!!!

HT CORONA RACE RESULTS
Here's the video from the GT8 A Main. Congrats to Jai!! As always he put on a great show yesterday. Thanks to Charlie B and all involved for making it a fun and great day of racing on "Father's Day".

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
FangsCPO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:25 AM
  #2187  
Tech Master
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,195
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the fun yesterday. I was a bit down on horsepower, but it was a blast none the less...maybe I will return next month with a 3S

Thanks again

Steve
(STRC/Slash 4x4 GT8)
teamstrc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 AM
  #2188  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (19)
 
SNR Graphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 586
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by teamstrc View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the fun yesterday. I was a bit down on horsepower, but it was a blast none the less...maybe I will return next month with a 3S

Thanks again

Steve
(STRC/Slash 4x4 GT8)
I think 3s will be perfect for your car and very fast.
SNR Graphite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 AM
  #2189  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (42)
 
clayrace24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 445
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default PMT tires

Where's the best place online to get PMTs for our GTs?

Clay
clayrace24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM
  #2190  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (15)
 
Mark the Hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 363
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by teamstrc View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the fun yesterday. I was a bit down on horsepower, but it was a blast none the less...maybe I will return next month with a 3S

Thanks again

Steve
(STRC/Slash 4x4 GT8)
That car looked great for only running a 2S... I think that would be a great class and set up for the GT8 lites.. Send me some info on the set up you ran and maybe when I come back up to HT corona I an have one or two ready..
Mark the Hammer is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service