Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Thats what it sounds like to me too, I'll try to get some more info from Jr, but seriously doubt he'll give up much. We sponsor him with tires and thats the extent of it really.

If you look at some of the other videos he's been running 119mph for a while. His car is insane to watch, real scary at that speed.
Thanks, I'll check that out. And I suppose that foams are the only thing that could hold up to those speeds.

Insane.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by whipnet
Thanks, I'll check that out. And I suppose that foams are the only thing that could hold up to those speeds.

Insane.

No at all, Jr runs Ipanema 50 shore slicks all the time. He has never had any issues with our slicks. Next he'll be trying our 55 & 60 shore slicks, the thought is the harder shore will decrease rolling resistance and maybe help him gain a little more speed on the top end.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark the Hammer
We had 8 GT8's show up at TC Hobby's in Oceanside yesterday what a blast that was. Some of them are going up to Hobby Town race on the 19th
Hopefully ALL instead of some can show up for a great day of racing. Awesome traction in Corona as well. There's an onsite hobbyshop, grocery store, mutliple fastfood joints and a gas station.

Did you guys run all 8 GT8's in one heat? How'd it go? I'm thinking 6 would be the ideal amount at any given time considering these things are at minimum 7lbs. Good thing they're built for abuse! lol.

Last edited by kcunamay; 06-07-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default Losi Ten T as a GT Base

When I recently was going through my Losi 8 offroad buggy, redoing the diffs, I was amazed at how smooth turning the gear train was, and was thinkibg that it would make a good candidate for onraod conversion. After seeing Jai's Losi run yesterday, I'm certain it would make a great GT car. But Jai also has an aftermarket graphite chassis - he's got some serious bucks in that roller.

So after doing some more reading here on RC Tech, I came across a thread about converting the Losi Ten T buggy from nitro to electric. It is basically 8th scale in measurement, but uses smaller parts, kind of 10th scale +. The neat thing is that it can run smaller controller and 550 size motor, all of which adds up to a car that can weigh as little as 6 pounds, even less with a little thought and graphite. It does use 14mm hex for the wheels, so some sort of wheel adapter would be required.

Anybody else looked into making a GT out of this ride?

Clay
Old 06-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SNR Graphite
Great run Jai I am going to have to step up my game to hang with you now. Next time you are the man to beat.
Thanks bro! It's so much fun running with you guys. I was concentrating so hard, that I forgot to blink!!! bwahahahaha. My eyes were all watery at the end of the 7 mins. LMAO! Close battles are so much fun! Clean driving as well. A whole lot of trust going on with these behemoths running around the track at the speeds we hit. Good stuff mang!

It was cool pitting with you as well. Matter of fact we should invite all of the GT8 racers to pit together. Perhaps we can bounce ideas/setups/techniques amongst the racers as we're pretty much it when it comes to GT8-E. We need to do as much as we can to help this class grow and thrive. Having more info available helps. This thread for example has a wealth of knowledge.

It'd be nice to have all of the GT8 racers show up and race at the same place. Can't be the man if everybody isn't there. We've got some really talented drivers out here running this class. I'm certain running with those fast guys will only make the competition step up providing even more fun and excitement.

I look forward to racing/learning from all of you.

Jai
Old 06-07-2011, 02:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by clayrace24
When I recently was going through my Losi 8 offroad buggy, redoing the diffs, I was amazed at how smooth turning the gear train was, and was thinkibg that it would make a good candidate for onraod conversion. After seeing Jai's Losi run yesterday, I'm certain it would make a great GT car. But Jai also has an aftermarket graphite chassis - he's got some serious bucks in that roller.

So after doing some more reading here on RC Tech, I came across a thread about converting the Losi Ten T buggy from nitro to electric. It is basically 8th scale in measurement, but uses smaller parts, kind of 10th scale +. The neat thing is that it can run smaller controller and 550 size motor, all of which adds up to a car that can weigh as little as 6 pounds, even less with a little thought and graphite. It does use 14mm hex for the wheels, so some sort of wheel adapter would be required.

Anybody else looked into making a GT out of this ride?

Clay

Hi Clay,

You're right on about how free the tranny is on the LOSI. It really is super smooth. It helps in pretty much every aspect of driving. Acceleration, top end, corner speed, braking and run time. The difference was very apparent to me when I swtched from my original GT8 car. Faster and runs longer. The Carbon fiber chassis is from Robert of Matrix Concepts, the shock towers are from Losi. They indeed help reduce the weight of these monsters, but surely aren't a requirement to be fast. Tony is ballistic as well as my cousin Eric with his conversion. I believe Tony runs a tekno rc conversion and my cuz has my exact setup w/o the C/F. Both are REALLY fast guys!

FYI - SNR, Steve D and Omar all run Castle 1/10scale ESC's to power their 2650kv buggy/truggy sized motors. It works well for them.

The Ten T Buggy would make an awesome conversion as well. Aside from the other things you mentioned, you might even be able to run a 3s pack vs 4s, reducing the weight/cost even more.

I saw a posting on REDRC of a conversion for the Traxxas 4X4 Slash made by STRC. It looks great!!! It uses the smaller ESC and 550sized motor as you mentioned and looking at the pics, it also has a 3s battery. I bet it's also the most cost effective way to get into GT8. Tires would probably last even longer as well. I believe Raman saw it in action at West Coast and he said it was good to go. I bet this would be even lighter than the Ten T. HMMMMMMMM, I have a Slash 4X4 PE sitting on the shelf.

Hope to see you in Corona!

Jai

Last edited by kcunamay; 06-07-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I bet that car will rip. A Losi is in the future for me.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kcunamay

I saw a posting on REDRC of a conversion for the Traxxas 4X4 Slash made by STRC. It looks great!!! It uses the smaller ESC and 550sized motor as you mentioned and looking at the pics, it also has a 3s battery. I bet it's also the most cost effective way to get into GT8. Tires would probably last even longer as well. I believe Raman saw it in action at West Coast and he said it was good to go. I bet this would be even lighter than the Ten T. HMMMMMMMM, I have a Slash 4X4 PE sitting on the shelf.

One of the employees at my LHS has a GT car converted from a 4x4 Slash. Pretty cool and almost had me convinced to go that route instead of the DM-1.

I still went with the DM-1, but as mentioned, the Slash has to be the cheapest route to go.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Jai,

What shock towers were used from Losi - Are they the stock 2.0E towers?

Clay
Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The traxxas is a nice idea. But with is a light car I do not hink it would take a good beating... I still would like to see it run.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by clayrace24
Jai,

What shock towers were used from Losi - Are they the stock 2.0E towers?

Clay
I don't know what he used but I used the Losi L8 Model Front and Rears in CF

Front Shock Tower

Rear Shock Tower

You have to use front shocks all around so I also bought the spring tuning kit for the L8 model
Old 06-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark the Hammer
The traxxas is a nice idea. But with is a light car I do not hink it would take a good beating... I still would like to see it run.
There is a couple of guy's around here that have done that and it does work good but the light weight nature of that car compared to a true 1/8 doesn't hold it's ground when things get tight on the track.

BUT they are very cool and a cheaper way (not much)to get into GT8.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by -TC5racer-
There is a couple of guy's around here that have done that and it does work good but the light weight nature of that car compared to a true 1/8 doesn't hold it's ground when things get tight on the track.

BUT they are very cool and a cheaper way (not much)to get into GT8.
Just as I figured.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by -TC5racer-
I don't know what he used but I used the Losi L8 Model Front and Rears in CF

Front Shock Tower

Rear Shock Tower

You have to use front shocks all around so I also bought the spring tuning kit for the L8 model
Yep, that's the ones I used as well. As stated, you will need to purchase the SHCRT SHOCK BODIES and SHORT SHOCK SHAFTS as well.

For springs I went with RC4LESS's Short Springs for the Losi. They are shorter than the shortest Losi springs, and do not put a bunch of preload on the shocks in order to get the desired ride height. Not to mention they are a perfect fit and work awesome! Also mounted are Titanium shock screws and the Stands.

I am also using the lightened F/R CV driveshaft axles from Matrix Concepts inc.

In an effort to make the car as light as possible, I have ordered Losi's HD Lightweight center drive cups and the Carbon Fiber Ackerman plates from Matrix Concepts. The car is actually pretty light as it is. Race ready it's a tick over 7lbs.

Clay - I have a filled out setup sheet for my car if you'd like to use it as a reference. PM me your email address and I'l send it to you.

See you guys on the track.

Jai
Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I'm thinking about trying a Losi Smart Diff (center) in my GT. The action of becoming firm on-power and open off-power sounds like it would be beneficial for on-road, almost like a one-way.

What do you guys think? Anyone try it already?

One thing I'm wondering though, is how it will behave using motor brakes instead of mechanical brakes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.