R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Oval, Larger Scales and More (https://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-larger-scales-more-5/)
-   -   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-larger-scales-more/411861-gt8-class-buggy-based-road-electric.html)

snrscion 07-06-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze (Post 7634292)
carbon fiber looks good:nod::nod:

Thanks bobby.:nod::nod:

Foxxrocket 07-06-2010 11:45 AM

I've been looking around my LHS for 3cell LiPos, and the highest ones they have are 5500 25C. Is 25C going to cut it, or do I need to look for one with a higher C rating?

Raman 07-06-2010 02:16 PM

William: I assume this has the pin locker for both sides.. locking down both cups?

If so, this part could get me up and running asap, instead of machining a spool

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNWS7&P=7

Jspeed 07-06-2010 03:46 PM

Wouldn't the adjustability of front-rear bias of center diff cars, using oils to "dial-into" layouts & conditions be a good option to have for track racing use?

williamw 07-07-2010 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Raman (Post 7635989)
William: I assume this has the pin locker for both sides.. locking down both cups?

If so, this part could get me up and running asap, instead of machining a spool

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNWS7&P=7

Yes it does.

Jeff you are also right, for racing it may help, but when the clutch in a nitro car with a 2 speed locks you essentially have a spool.

http://www.rc-monster.com/rcm.php

These guys make a diff with slipper built into it. This could be used when a track is slippery. :eek:

Jspeed 07-07-2010 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 7638882)

Jeff you are also right, for racing it may help, but when the clutch in a nitro car with a 2 speed locks you essentially have a spool.

Yes, the 2-speed acts like a spool when the clutch is engaged, I agree.

What I was asking was, since a single speed diff or spool seems to be all thats needed on most electric GT conversions, the additional "tuning" option of a center diff would help to "dial-in" the car to track & conditions?

My thinking is, if a brushless can turn so many rpms & has such greater torque than nitro, why not keep a center diff and use it in the same way as an off-road car. I would think the ability to adjust a center diff would provide another advantage in set-up over a nitro (2-speed) or a car equipped with a spool on the track.

I don't know, but to me it seems like a little more adjustability in set-ups could be a real good thing too.:sneaky: ;)

Jspeed 07-07-2010 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 7638882)

http://www.rc-monster.com/rcm.php

These guys make a diff with slipper built into it. This could be used when a track is slippery. :eek:

Just checked out the slipper diffs a little and it might be a good way to go. Thanks Will. :tire:

williamw 07-07-2010 11:21 AM

You could be right Jeff, maybe you can find out at your next race. The slipper setup is definately a good addition when track conditions are less than idea. :tire:

Jspeed 07-07-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 7639916)
You could be right Jeff, maybe you can find out at your next race. The slipper setup is definately a good addition when track conditions are less than idea. :tire:

It'll be a while till I build my electric GT car, the 2 fire breathing Sirio engines are still brand new:nod:, but a GT-E will be a winter project of mine:sneaky:

Just trying to learn the whys and why-nots of this brave new electric GT world.

I really hope to see a good turnout of "GT-E" cars at our US GT Nationals event Sept. 3rd- 5th at "Leisure Hours". Its the perfect "marketing" venue to show the R/C world the new GT class. It will have plenty of international coverage and the event website is almost finished too.

If companies want to grow GT-E racing, this is a prime opportunity & event for them do it. ;)

teknorc 07-07-2010 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni (Post 7632749)
Right now a lot of us are running single speed because we're on smaller 10th scale tracks. I'm just running a solid spool, a few other are running a center diff with Kyosho 500,000 wt oil, and another guy was using 100,000 wt oil. If you're running a center diff, I wouldn't run anything less than 100K.

We've been running center diffs in our setups for a while now (see above post). They definitely help smooth things out. The 2-speed will dominate a center diff or spool setup on a large track though. They are faster and more efficient (just like a real car with a transmission). While testing our conversion prototypes at WCRC we noticed the 2-speed ran about 40-50% longer and much cooler than a single speed. It's just hard to drive a 2-speed around a smaller track.

Our new Traktion Drive has been a huge hit in the 1/8th off-road buggies. Much simpler, less parts, more consistent, lighter, less expensive, and more versatile than any other 'slipper' for 1/8th use. Keep your stock center diff too :).

We've tried direct drive, Traktion Drive, and Elektri-Clutch on the eGT's and we actually prefer the Elektri-Clutch for on-road use. It's the smoothest power delivery option we've tested and the car freewheels off power. Couple that with the center diff and mechanical brakes with true f/r bias and you have a very smooth and consistent car. The clutch isn't for everyone though as the lower registers of the trigger are a little less responsive (like adding expo). That is why we have the Traktion Drive now. Always engaged, but still slips to help with traction and protect the drivetrain. You can run just about any 1/8th clutch bell on it so you can keep the 2-speed or go single speed, same with the Elektri-Clutch.

williamw 07-07-2010 01:43 PM

I wish they would fit on the Kyosho GT cars.

Does the 2 speed shift point stay consistent as the battery voltage goes down?

Jspeed 07-07-2010 02:00 PM

It won't fit the IGTs?

williamw 07-07-2010 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jspeed (Post 7640438)
It won't fit the IGTs?

Nope.

teknorc 07-07-2010 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 7640390)
I wish they would fit on the Kyosho GT cars.

Does the 2 speed shift point stay consistent as the battery voltage goes down?

The shift point is going to change with battery voltage, but it's not that noticeable. You're only shifting 1-2 times a lap in most cases and the races/practice sessions are usually around 5-8 minutes.

What doesn't fit on the GT? Center diff?

Raman 07-07-2010 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by williamw (Post 7641780)
Nope.

William, are you sure? it fits a Mugen and Mugen parts are virtually exchangeable with Kyosho. I used to run an Xray's dimensions are not that far off either.. I used to run their active diff in my IGT. Only one that has different dimensions would be Losi.