Wiki Posts
Search

Ramping ESC's

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Ramping ESC's

So, in my part of the country seems to be a movement away from the ramping ESC's, just wondering how it is going in your part of the country/world
Old 06-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
So, in my part of the country seems to be a movement away from the ramping ESC's, just wondering how it is going in your part of the country/world
Yep

here too

SP cirtex every where
Old 06-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

what is a ramping esc?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TRF512
what is a ramping esc?
ESC with software that rapes a brushless motor to oblivion...
Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Tech Addict

I find it unnecessary Cirtix type ESC, ESC with better ability to change firmware (Xerun, Speedpassion, Tekin etc..) So you can do both categories (ROAR, free timing.)
Old 06-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

My question is- what was the point of the manufacturers creating these speed-possessed pieces of R/C evolution? Isn't this what the RACERS wanted? What is the purpose of the "no ramping esc's/damn this tech to hell" movement? To create a sense of false parity between racers? Hmmm....interesting

I see it as just another learning curve but I'm afraid I may be living in my own little unique bubble.... (but I'm cool with that)

Old 06-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
My hope is that the cars will go so slow that I will need only one body for an entire season of racing and I can use a rubber band for a trigger finger so I can swat gnats before they fly into my ear. That T3R is looking appealing... with those non adjustable turn buckles

Some of the entry level "stock" classes might be looking to remove the complexity of "dynamic" timing ESC's, but the intermediate class shouldn't ban it IMHO. Its too cool a technology to remove it from racing altogether just because the best way to implement it hasn't been figured out yet.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cyanyde
ESC with software that rapes a brushless motor to oblivion...

oh

I agree.

In our track most guys dropped their TC's when the ultra-high priced tekins started appearing. Some of them are starting to come back with the availability of the Hobbywing. These are only half the price of the Tekins but these can compete with the tekins.

The tekins really rendered the previous LRP spx's / tc-specs obsolete. The sudden drop in value is off-putting.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 AM
Tech Elite

There is more to come from hobbywing the new justock with no timing anf the xtreme stock with timing ,The new 120 amp that can run a 1s great for 12th scale and a new esc for sc trucks .

Great pricing ,top tech support and most importantly excellent quality which will only get better .

The new 120 amp has new and improved mosfets to handle larger current levels .

keep you all posted
Old 06-23-2010, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ramping ESC is the reality. Fortunately Hobbywing is 1/3 the price of Tekin, LRP, etc. Also not sure how to create equal non boost esc... even from the start ESCs were never made equal.

At today's speeds, let's make it a run what you brung rule (e.g. mod, boost, etc) and separate classes based on experienced and novice. Let the driving skill prevail.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:35 AM
Tech Champion

Racers wanted more speed/power, they got it with the latest generation of ESC's and software updates.

I wouldn't blame the manufacturers, blame the brushless motor

Tekin will, and have always listened though to what racers want though, and are also making a stock spec profile for fairer racing

The complexity of r/c and getting the most out of your car as a whole is enough to shy away anyone who isn't doing well in r/c, the motor and ESC is just one part of the puzzle imo
Old 06-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I have to say I am always surprised at how many people complain that the new software is too confusing or can't get their cars right with it, it's like 4 settings that matter, and everyone is willing to share their settings. I don't like that it has become some racers excuse of the week for why they aren't racing, but it's ALWAYS something, oh I don't like rubber tires, I don't like foam tires, I don't like to race on sunday, etc etc. If it takes a spec speedo to regain interest in 17.5 and encourage new blood, so be it, I say the price is it's best feature.

I personally like the fast 17.5 speed, but going to a 13.5 at the size of tracks that we have locally isn't a huge jump, so if 17.5 slows down I'll have no problem just running 13.5 instead.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

oh

I agree.

In our track most guys dropped their TC's when the ultra-high priced tekins started appearing. Some of them are starting to come back with the availability of the Hobbywing. These are only half the price of the Tekins but these can compete with the tekins.

The tekins really rendered the previous LRP spx's / tc-specs obsolete. The sudden drop in value is off-putting.
The Tekins are not ultra-high priced. Not sure where you got that from?
Some of the other brands (LRP for one), that had a lot to do with starting this ramping/dynamic timing craze, and are priced the same and even higher than the Tekin RS. Just because LRP didn't design an ESC that can be updated, one of several that decided to not look ahead and design an easily updatable ESC, seems like a lame reason to blame Tekin for. With the latest Tekin software, 208, it will allow you to run in a non-ramping/non-dynamic class and with a quick profile change, go back to ramped/dynamic if you so desire. So, it saves you having to buy multiple ESC's. The only reason the cheaper, ramping and updatable esc's can now be found, is because Tekin did the research and development for them, and now they just copied it. Reminds me of how Microsoft got to where they are, they copied Apple, who brought a windows based operating system to market years before. MS then came out with a not very well designed imitation, that could and still can be compromised by viruses, which ends up costing all of us more. The Apple OS, designed properly from the ground up, because of better vision of the future, doesn't need virus software. I use this example because it mimics this complaint. It was said that Apple computers cost more. As it turns out they are only slightly more, sometimes less too, than the equivalent PC with the same specs, and when you factor in the cost of what viruses have cost all of us... you get the picture. Yes there are ways to put together your own computer for a lot less, but for your average, go to the PC store and buy a computer, this fact actually holds true. Statistics have shown that most Apple's are still in use for more than twice the number of years. So far, that is what is happening with the Tekin. Many bought the Black Diamond, at $350., and it was bested with a free software update on an ESC that costs half as much, the Tekin RS. Advanced Electronics, maker of the Black Diamond, has still yet to fix this for those that bought one.

Now, is ramping okay? For those that want to take racing to the pinnacle, you bet, and anything else that comes along to take racing to the next level. Does there need to be some limited classes , yes. For those needing to focus on basic skills, adding another distraction to that goal is not so good. But once the other pieces are in place for you at that level, you will want to move up a notch. Thats what its all about. I have seen this happen in many forms of competition over the years. Nothing new, history repeats itself, again.

Sorry to rant, but, that is the reality, and is none of this is new, it happens a lot.
and no, I don't work for Tekin.

Last edited by oldrcr; 06-23-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
Ramping ESC is the reality. Fortunately Hobbywing is 1/3 the price of Tekin, LRP, etc. Also not sure how to create equal non boost esc... even from the start ESCs were never made equal.

At today's speeds, let's make it a run what you brung rule (e.g. mod, boost, etc) and separate classes based on experienced and novice. Let the driving skill prevail.
That would be too simple, and makes sense.
What are you thinking?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

oh

I agree.

I don't know what part of the world you live in but the reality is a top of the line speed controllers have been near (or at) 200.00 USD for well over a decade. It's also funny how you complain about the Tekin and how it rendered your just as expensive but non upgradeable speed controller obsolete by being a better value to the consumer. BTW, this is not a slam on LRP products which I have owned many different items in the past.

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.