R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-27-2004, 01:30 PM   #46
Tech Apprentice

i tryed my 27t last night i had a lot more control but it was just a little to slow im going to go try a bigger lot today with my 17t
Old 05-27-2004, 06:27 PM   #47
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by hyperformance

Real Drifting= stupid
RC Drifting= sweet
dont be silly, real drifting is amazing. I guess you just havnt seen any D1 videos.
LancerEvoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:30 PM   #48
Tech Fanatic

The challenge here is circuit drifting instead of just sliding all over the carpark.

Once you get circuit drifting nailed down, you can probably control your car in any layout because you prob have an innate sense of how the car handles by then.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:34 PM   #49
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
got the PVC on some wheels last night i went out with the car before work this morning to try it out. about half way through the first pack while "scuffing in" the fresh PVC i blew the rear diff must have been the helicopter style donuts with an 11t . i'm gonna put spools in the front & rear then put my 19t back in it. the PVC could use a little more bite, maybe it'll get better after it wears a bit. if not i'll try some grip-tape strips over the PVC . the PVC provides some long drifts but i'm gonna need some more practice to get the car going where i want it to.
Its better to stick to higher turn motors since low turn motors do not provide any increase in speed. We're not concerned about speed in drifts.

Besides, there's less wear and tear when you use less powerful motors.

Even one of my friends in the SG drift vids who runs a BL on his car has turned down the throttle hi-point because the extra power is useless.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:19 AM   #50
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Brushless Motor

I am one of that friend who is also using the brushless motor the reason is that i got no more esc to use and also my silver can stockers are for Singapore TAC so they are for race only.

BTW those ppl who are thinking of using brushless can do so.
I use BL also for another reason...

It given me about 30+mins of run time and the battery is not yet dumped BUT the esc cut off due to the heat, so those ppl who are interested in drift can try using Silver Can first and gear it to about 5+ ratio.

And another piece of advice dun have any camber in any of the wheels as my friend say it will wear the PVC more and u got less grip!!! to throw the rear.
who is friend who is foe.

Last edited by kuanseng1981; 05-28-2004 at 06:48 AM.
kuanseng1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:16 AM   #51
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Brushless Motor

Quote:
Originally posted by kuanseng1981
I am that friend who is also using the brushless motor the reason is that i got no more esc to use and also my silver can stockers are for Singapore TAC so they are for race only.

BTW those ppl who are thinking of using brushless can do so.
I use BL also for another reason...

It given me about 30+mins of run time and the battery is not yet dumped BUT the esc cut off due to the heat, so those ppl who are interested in drift can try using Silver Can first and gear it to about 5+ ratio.

And another piece of advice dun have any camber in any of the wheels as my friend say it will wear the PVC more and u got less grip!!! to throw the rear.
I was talking about Adit but all the same anyway.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:13 AM   #52
Tech Regular

thanks for the advice! the mod motor is coming out, i got my diffs replaced with spools but haven't tried it yet. the hobby shop didn't have an Altezza so i grabbed a Supra in support of my TRD loyalties . i love the vidoes you guys are doing, i'm gonna get firied from work for watching them so often, i've shown them to every car buff in the building
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:54 AM   #53
Tech Regular

if you huys don't want to cut PVC to make the drift tire i saw a neat thing at the hardware store this morning, a 2" x 1 1/2" Reducer, they're perfect for 24mm or 26mm wheels and one side is rolled like a tire sidewall. there is a small lip on the inside that would need sanding. $0.55 each. also there is black tubing availible for "High Pressure" use, it's more flexible the PVC (white stuff) or Conduit (gray stuff) and may be a little easier to cut or provide more bite.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:02 PM   #54
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to orangbaligila
Default Re: Re: carpet drifting

Quote:
Originally posted by Entropy
Over the wheels, with PVC pipes having similar inner diameter as the outer diameter of the rims. Just force the pipes onto the rims by pushing the cut pipe onto the rim while its on a surface. If the inner diameter of the pipe is too small to force it on, just sand 1mm or less off the rim and try again, I've never had to sand the rim to fit the PVC pipe before though. The tighter the better.

Here's a pic of my car taken on one of the filming days, you can check out how the PVC pipe was fitted on. Be creative, you can cut it flush with the rim, or thicker than the rim with a "deep dish" effect like mine.
you should lose that fender-gap laaa,... looks way better without it I dig your driftin brother,... cool,... we in Bali actually thinking to do drift (and tried) before but was unsuccessful because the tyres grip too much (we used QD tyres too once, but was so bad it peels off the wheel ) then tried it w/ very powerful self-wound motors 'till some of our ESCs do their own version of sunday afternoon BBQ

but, it all ends when we saw some preview from you guys (I like the original one best ) PVC all the way,... the only problem is, I got complaints from fellow racers that I might hurt the surface,.... well, considering the moon-like surface (ask Say Joo, he saw it in person), it'll hurt my cars more than it got hurt,.. hehehehe...

* a true drifter walks sideways *
Old 06-03-2004, 10:12 AM   #55
Tech Regular

i've been watching the SG videos again & practicing, it can't imagine that my car with PVC tires is ever going to exibit the control that i'm seeing in the videos. i've set the car up soft, not that it helps, i took the mod motor out which helped a little but my car is sliding all over the place, i've had to practice in an open parking lot. if i put it on the track it'll get destroyed, also the drifts don't look realistic and once the car loses speed it's tough to get it going again. i'm going to find something to use on the tires or for the tires that will provide a little more grip.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:44 AM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
i've been watching the SG videos again & practicing, it can't imagine that my car with PVC tires is ever going to exibit the control that i'm seeing in the videos. i've set the car up soft, not that it helps, i took the mod motor out which helped a little but my car is sliding all over the place, i've had to practice in an open parking lot. if i put it on the track it'll get destroyed, also the drifts don't look realistic and once the car loses speed it's tough to get it going again. i'm going to find something to use on the tires or for the tires that will provide a little more grip.
Practice wiggling your steering as you drift. This will allow you to catch the car as it under and oversteers and you'll be able to do long drawn out drifts. Use the throttle to control the speed of the drift. Remember, its not how much you floor the throttle, its applying enough to maintain the slide.

Also, everyone seems to think a lower turn motor is key to drifting. In fact the more powerful the motor, the harder it is to control the drift.

One major misconception is that you need to build up lots of speed to drift into the corner... this is wrong. With PVC tires, all you need is a little speed to get the momentum and the rest is up to your driving to drift the correct direction.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:53 AM   #57
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to rpmmaxxed

Drifting in general kicks ass. Specially 1:1
rpmmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:32 PM   #58
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'm sticking to 17-turn @ 8:1 & zero camber - that's all you need. F&R Diffs quite tight or spools even better.

I like a little bit more grunt than 540 and the silly Monster Stock runs too hot (its hot even even free-revving?!). I got some spare Novak BLs but they're not necessary for drift fun.

More power than 27t gives better control by having more "headroom", gives better throttle control. Don't have to use inertia to start your drifts even, can start drifting within 2' of stationary. 17-turn is best choice for my liking.

PVC tyre works very well on polished concrete (eg void deck), gives more grip there than on unpolished concrete (eg multistorey carpark). On polished concrete it is just perfect combination of grip/slip.
www.MelbRC.org
----------------
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:57 PM   #59
Tech Initiate

Default Drift Video

Hi all,

Just downloaded the latest drift video of frequency-rc and was just wondering if anyone on this forum was involved with that video. If so what were you all using i.e. motor,set-up,tires.

Thanks

P.S- Sweet drifting
team_tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:50 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Building up some drift tires now and was wondering something. I have a one-way in the front now. Will it be ok or should I put the diff or spool in to do this drifting stuff?

Thanks
Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote