Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-24-2004, 01:04 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
Coolest RC drifting videos thus far!

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=24446

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=24734
Amen, I posted the link to all the videos earlier in this thread with the tips that my friends and I used on the cars to film the vid.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:18 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Entropy
Amen, I posted the link to all the videos earlier in this thread with the tips that my friends and I used on the cars to film the vid.
Ahh!!! So you were one of the guys driving inthe video eh?!?! VERY cool. I totally dig the whole drifting thing now. Especially how you can pirouette around a corner like a helicopter!

I wish I had some friends into RC so we could make cool videos and stuff....

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:26 AM   #18
Tech Initiate

very nice drifting.......it is so good that it might become a competition in itself in a very near future
yeuc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:31 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
Ahh!!! So you were one of the guys driving inthe video eh?!?! VERY cool. I totally dig the whole drifting thing now. Especially how you can pirouette around a corner like a helicopter!

I wish I had some friends into RC so we could make cool videos and stuff....
Yep

I drove the NSX and the Apex RX-7 in the videos. Though I don't appear as often as filming is usually done on weekdays when I'm working, so I usually get filmed on the weekends when my buds and I are drifting.

I've realized once you find a nice hardware store with lots of PVC pipes, drifting is practically free coz the pipes are cheap and they last very long and you can't wreck your car while drifting coz you're not moving at high speeds but rather trying to get the most artistic and stylish drift. There's no need for super motors and the like, we've BL to stock cans amongst our cars and what matters most in drifting well is your skill and a little setup to get the car to be more controllable sideways.

Personally, I just slap on the PVC pipes and drift my race cars with the same setup I use for races.

Of course I don't just drift, I race RC too

Its a pleasure to drift and share it with the rest of the RC world.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:30 AM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Entropy
Yep

I drove the NSX and the Apex RX-7 in the videos. Though I don't appear as often as filming is usually done on weekdays when I'm working, so I usually get filmed on the weekends when my buds and I are drifting.

I've realized once you find a nice hardware store with lots of PVC pipes, drifting is practically free coz the pipes are cheap and they last very long and you can't wreck your car while drifting coz you're not moving at high speeds but rather trying to get the most artistic and stylish drift. There's no need for super motors and the like, we've BL to stock cans amongst our cars and what matters most in drifting well is your skill and a little setup to get the car to be more controllable sideways.

Personally, I just slap on the PVC pipes and drift my race cars with the same setup I use for races.

Of course I don't just drift, I race RC too

Its a pleasure to drift and share it with the rest of the RC world.
Thats it!!! I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow! Of course...drifting around a racecourse would be badass...

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:29 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Default carpet drifting

we've done some drifting on carpet using some old foams and taping the inside half with electric tape. you'll have to experiment with how much tire to tape depending on the compound and surface. by taping more or less of the tires you can "tune" the drift. we have used 19turn motors mostly. we do this after the races are over, it's pretty damn challenging to keep it off the walls. i've perfected a 360 down the back straight at speed, it's SWEET .

we have an outdoor track we run during the summer but i haven't tried PVC on the tires. are you putting it over the wheels, rubber tires or old foams?

Last edited by hyperformance; 05-24-2004 at 01:43 PM.
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:02 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: carpet drifting

Quote:
Originally posted by hyperformance
we've done some drifting on carpet using some old foams and taping the inside half with electric tape. you'll have to experiment with how much tire to tape depending on the compound and surface. by taping more or less of the tires you can "tune" the drift. we have used 19turn motors mostly. we do this after the races are over, it's pretty damn challenging to keep it off the walls. i've perfected a 360 down the back straight at speed, it's SWEET .

we have an outdoor track we run during the summer but i haven't tried PVC on the tires. are you putting it over the wheels, rubber tires or old foams?
Over the wheels, with PVC pipes having similar inner diameter as the outer diameter of the rims. Just force the pipes onto the rims by pushing the cut pipe onto the rim while its on a surface. If the inner diameter of the pipe is too small to force it on, just sand 1mm or less off the rim and try again, I've never had to sand the rim to fit the PVC pipe before though. The tighter the better.

Here's a pic of my car taken on one of the filming days, you can check out how the PVC pipe was fitted on. Be creative, you can cut it flush with the rim, or thicker than the rim with a "deep dish" effect like mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jakeapex01.jpg (125.0 KB, 204 views)
Old 05-25-2004, 07:28 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

im off to the hardware store right know for my pvc. set my car up last night now if it would just stop raining long enough fo it to dry up out side .
Old 05-25-2004, 07:59 AM   #24
s2
Tech Adept

Ive liked the idea of drifting for a while, but i tryed track drifting on tape'd tyres last week, and gotta say it ruled. drifting the street is one thing but track drifting is so much better, transfering drift direction through a tight complex, setting the car up into a corner so only throttle control was needed to get round (1 handed ) was so great. im gonna try some pvc's soon, get a 180sx shell too , cant wait.

stay sideways

Stew
s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:42 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Default sweet

i'm definatly in for the "deep dish" or "offset" look! the PCV looks to provide more control than the electric taped foams on carpet did. i'm going to join the discussion on RC Drift board as well. thanks for the info & pic
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:25 AM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Check out this little video. Drift Wizard Nitro Vid
Mister_Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:27 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

Ahhh....niiice. Thanks for all the tips.

So, stock springs probably wouldn't work? And what color should i go with?

Would my stock 20T stinger work for just starting out in drifting?

Nice skills entropy
t3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #28
s2
Tech Adept

Your stinger should be plenty, i saw a vid a while back (the link i used is broken now though ) it was full size drifter Youichi and a rc guy using Hpi 20t motors (similar to your stinger) and kit standars HPI sprints, on PVC's, but layin down sum amazing drifts.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:49 PM   #29
s2
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by rc_1uk
going around bedworth with a 6x1 sure is fun and you actually see smoke coming out the arches.

Old 05-25-2004, 04:43 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

What diameter PVC pipe do you use? 2" ???
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote